Husky breeders? - looking for a companion for GSD Questions

Discussion in 'Siberian Husky' started by JessicaK, Apr 15, 2008.

1. JessicaK

JessicaK New Member

Name:
    Jessica

Husky breeders? - looking for a companion for GSD

Are there any husky breeders on here?

I have a GSD and am looking for a companion for her and was considering a husky, or husky type.

Do you think they would be compatible or would I be better getting another GSD?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. MaryS

MaryS New Member

Name:
    Mary
    Hi and welcome to Dogsey.

Jessica for advice on any breed I would approach the breed clubs first and have discussions with a number of breeders listed with them. There may be more than one, in which case read the club philosophy re health testing and check if they are registered with the KC before contacting breeders from the list. Its not perfect but a good way to start. Breeders will know about compatibility with other breeds too.

Mary
  4. JessicaK

JessicaK New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thanks for that Mary - will do that.
  5. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    HI there...

I have alaskan malamutes..A bit bigger than Sibes...

have you thought about a rescue?? We have witnessed on here that rescue has had a huge increase in puppies over the last year..

I would say if you bring up a puppy with your GSD they should be fine...providing your GSd will accept a pup

There are a couple of breeders on here and they can put you in touch with rescue...
  6. husky

husky New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Hi Jessicak,if you go to the links page on here
    you will find SHWA(UK)you will get all the info on welfare dogs if thats the road you choose and have a look at my Siberian Huskies lifes it will give you some information on them and their needs,hope this helps a little ,Anne
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2008
  7. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    Hi Jessica,

There are quite a lot of Siberian Husky breeders in the UK. Like most breeds the quality of dogs & breeders varies widely. Many breeders in the UK are reputable and responsible but, unfortunately, most are not. Unfortunately to the inexperienced it is often difficult to tell the difference. There are several indicators you can use to check breeders out however. Firstly, do they work and/or show their dogs. If not, why are they breeding? Most breeders breed litters to improve their stock for the show ring or the trail. If they are doing neither you have to assume that their main motivation is cash! - not the best reason for breeding dogs.

Secondly, how easy do they make it to buy a puppy? If you don't get the (friendly) third degree about your knowledge of the breed, the security of your garden & house etc. it is unlikely that they are a responsible breeder. Will they let you see the mum and dad (if they own the stud dog) and all their other dogs? You can learn a lot from the condition and temperament of the adult dogs in a breeder's kennel. On many occasions the breeder will have gone 'outside' for a mating so they won't actually own the stud dog, but they should be able to show you pictures, pedigree and health certification. Although as a breed, the Siberian Husky is very healthy, all responsible breeders will screen their dogs for hereditary defects. In particular, they should be checked for hip and eye defects. Ask if the parents of the puppies are tested and ask to see the results.

Will they expect you to sign a puppy contract in which you undertake to return the dog direct to the breeder if for any reason you cannot keep it? All responsible breeders will insist on this. So - that is what you look for when you find a breeder, but how do you find one?

One of the best ways is to visit large Championship Dog Shows and find the Siberian Husky benches. Here you will find a wide variety of Siberians, their owners and breeders. You will also be able to see loads of dogs and decide what 'type' of dog you would like. In the UK, Siberians range from the very slim sprint-racing dogs, through middle-of-the-road dogs who can succeed both in racing and showing to the US style shorter-legged Show dogs. You also need to decide whether you want a dog you can show and/or race as well as being a pet. At most big shows all types are represented. If you buy a catalogue you will have access to the addresses of all the owners at the show.
    Similarly in the winter you can visit some of the racing events which happen all over the country.

Visit http://www.snopeak.com to find details of racing events near you.

You may have to wait to get the puppy you want as most reputable breeders only breed occasionally – If you are properly prepared, the wait will be worth it. The only problem then is you will want another, and another and another………….They are frighteningly addictive!!!

You need to be extremely careful when choosing a breeder. The biggest safeguard you can have is doing your homework thoroughly before even approaching a breeder. The fact that a breeder may be a member of one of the Breed Clubs is, unfortunately, no guarantee that the breeder is ethical. Nor is membership of the Kennel Club accredited breeder scheme. Over the years, we have come across some appalling puppy farmers who have been members of both Breed Clubs and the KC Accredited Breeder Scheme.

As Anne mentioned above, there is a crisis within the breed at present as puppy farmers are breeding litters of huskies like there is no tomorrow and many of these are sold to naive first time owners who haven't a clue what they are letting themselves in for - eventually, of course, many of these pups end up in rescue. Since February 2008, the Siberian Husky Welfare Association (UK) (of which I am secretary) has taken in and rehomed over 170 unwanted Siberians between the ages of 8 weeks and 15 years. If you are interested in rehoming a rescue sibe, contact us through our website - www.huskywelfare.org.uk

Good luck with your search whichever way you decide to go!

Mick
  8. Lyken

Lyken New Member

Name:
    Charliee
    Completly agree with Mick!

Sibes are such a fun and exciting breed, but if you have a GSD who can go offlead, and enjoy the eventures, then maybe a sibe wouldnt be for you...

Take you time and research the breed..

Good luck :D
  9. JessicaK

JessicaK New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thank you - think I will definitely spend more time doing research and maybe going around the shows before deciding.
  10. MaryS

MaryS New Member

Name:
    Mary
    Great post Mick

Said what was needed without being emotive.

Mary
  11. infamousinuits

infamousinuits New Member

Name:
    alexandra
    hi. i am not a "breeder" but sometimes have a litter when i want a puppy to keep for showing. if you want any husky info let me know. i have a dedicated website i can pm it to you.
  12. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise

UMMMM that makes you a "breeder"
  13. infamousinuits

Name:
    alexandra
    lol well i guess you could say i am,but to me a breeder is someone who breeds on a regular basis as a job or to earn money. and i dont do breeding to earn money or as a job so i dont consider myself a breeder.
  14. zoeybeau1

zoeybeau1

Name:
    Toni
    Did you keep all the pups in your litter's or give them away?Your puppy owner's would class you as the breeder as you bred there pup's.;-)
  15. infamousinuits

Name:
    alexandra
    yes i know i am the puppies breeder in that sence. i guess i should of said im not a "comercial breeder"
  16. zoeybeau1

zoeybeau1

Name:
    Toni
    OK that's cool.xxxxxxxxxxxx
  17. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise

Yes I would definately say you are a breeder..whether its for money or not..

I would call people who make a living off it puppy "farmers" not breeders..because if you do it right then you shouldn't have any profit..(or not much!)

People who "breed" regardless of how few times are breeders..I know people who breed on a regular basis...(once a year) but are still working elsewhere so its not to earn or make money or a job
  18. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    COmmercial Breeder = Puppy Farmer..

don't think anyone would admit to being that..

Perhaps a "hobby breeder" would be a better title to give yourself..
    BUT of course I would still expect hobby breeders to have done all health tests and all dogs to be KC reg..
  19. zoeybeau1

zoeybeau1

Name:
    Toni
    Well said.
    Me reppied you on this reply.x;-)
  20. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Why Thank you kind lady:002:
  21. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    @ JessicaK (the original poster)

I would just re-iterate my earlier warning. Be very, very, very careful as there are many more bad breeders than good ones out there. Two hundred unwanted Siberians rehomed by SHWA(UK) in just over a year is testament to this.
    Don't just look at a website and get taken in by "flash" - does the "breeder" work and/or show their dogs - what kind of results can they show you? Verify them on the 'net - because some unscrupulous breeders falsify pedigrees, show results, race results and everything else except the amount of money they require from you.

Mick