Help please, can anyone shed light on what breed my dog is (pics) ID this breed/mix

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by glitter fairy, Jul 8, 2012.

1. glitter fairy

glitter fairy New Member

Name:
    Noush

Help please, can anyone shed light on what breed my dog is (pics)

Hi all, i'm trying to find out what breed my dog is. The previous owner said he's a pedigree GSD with no papers. When we questioned this she said this is what the first owners had told her.

Dexter is roughly 2 years old now. He is 62cm tall and roughly 28-30kg. He doesn't stride like a gsd, he is a lot more bouncy. He likes to stand on his hind legs quite a lot for quite a while and has been known to walk down the road on two legs (especially when looking at cats.) When he runs he bounds like a gazelle and flaps his tail up and down to slow himself and his bum goes up in the air and wiggles. His chest is smaller and thinner than a typical gsd and he is leaner. We looked at cross breeds but couldn't find anything close enough. We thought maybe a runt but after seeing pics and videos of malinios, that may be it. But havent a clue in all honesty. Any suggetions would be much appreciated. thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    He looks very GSD ish, so GSD or GSD cross. As you have no intention of breeding him (well I hope you haven't) I wouldn't let it bother you :)
  4. PB&J

PB&J New Member

Name:
    Jess
    I'm no expert but he looks all GSD to me.
  5. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    In picture 3 he looks pretty much identical to my friends GSD x Border Collie (although hers has tipped ears instead of fully erect ones like yours).

Odds are though that is he pet bred German Shepherd.
  6. glitter fairy

glitter fairy New Member

Name:
    Noush
    thank you all, we initially thought more GSDish. To us he's a dexter. I get stopped, questioned and told other peoples opinions at least twice a day, so it does keep me wondering. We tell people he's a GSD x meerkat or kangaroo :)

I definitely have no intention of breeding him. He came to us neutered so I couldnt even if I wanted to. Generally he is a very good dog but when he has his moments he is a little toe rag (like most dogs i suppose!) and one dexter is enough i think :?
  7. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    At 2 he isn't mature yet so his fooling around is puppyish / adolescent behaviour, he won't mature until 3-4 yrs old, and then physically and mentally he will act and look different. It's sad that you are his third owner and he is only 2 years old. He sounds to be in the eight home now, congratulations and enjoy your handsome boy x
  8. bijou

bijou New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    Nope - he's definitely not a Malinois - looks like a poorly bred GSD to me
  9. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

He looks lovely and all GSD to me most likely
    I bet he will fill out a wee bit in the next year and you will get a better idea

But he sounds and looks lovely and thankfully has found a good home at last
  10. zoeyvonne

zoeyvonne New Member

Name:
    zoe
    Bit mean :-( I think he is gorgeous and I would say GSD through and through x x
  11. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    He looks lovely :) glad he has found a loving home finally!
    To me he looks like a pet bred German shepherd. That's not to say there isn't perhaps another breed in there, perhaps even one parent was only half gsd.
    He may still have a bit of filling out to do, chances are youll never know for sure but enjoy him he looks great!
  12. glitter fairy

glitter fairy New Member

Name:
    Noush
    awwww thank you all. We also think he was malnourished at his first home as a puppy and wondered if that has affected his size. He has put on 7kg since living with us and when we commented on his weight to his last owner she said he was a lot skinnier when she got him. I know younger dogs are generally underweight but he was really skinny bless him.

The first four months were really tough as he didn't trust us at all and didn't want to know us (and who could blame him) but lots of love, persistence and help from a very good dog trainer and he has really started to flourish now. I am so proud of him and couldn't imagine life without him.

It will be interesting to see what he looks like in a year or two.
  13. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    all gsd to me. he just looks like he burns energy. so will never be fat. he looks gorgeous. well done for taking him on. good luck.... and loads more pics, please.
  14. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    He sounds like a real character and a pleasure to have around :)

In most of the photos he looks pure GSD, but the last photo of him, where he is looking up at the camera he looks as though he *could* have a little bit of something else in his make-up.

He is lovely - enjoy him :D
  15. cleoflowers

cleoflowers New Member

Name:
    jean
    looks like a GS collie X to me so you should call him one of those fancy names like a sholly or a gerollie
  16. aron

aron New Member

Name:
    aron
    gsds come in different shapes and sizes same as people when he fills out you will notice the difference 100% gsd and a good looking boy he is enjoy you dexter breed