Health checks for springers Health

Discussion in 'English Springer Spaniel' started by Tigger2, May 6, 2007.

1. Tigger2

Tigger2 New Member

Name:
    Karen

Health checks for springers

Hi all,

Just wondered if any of your springers have been tested for fucosidosis? (Or if they are known to come from parents who have tested clear)

This train of thought arose after reading about that new DNA test that is being offered to check for Progressive Retinal Atrophy (courtesy to lovezois in the Health forum) and from there checked out what other conditions Springers are susceptible to.

Tigger is KC registered and although it is recommended that two untested springers (for fucosidosis) shouldnt be mated, there are no details on his pedigree.

What tests have your springers had?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Isla's Dam was tested clear of Fucosidosis and her Sire was hereditarily clear, as Isla will be! :D

Both parents were tested clear of both PRA's before the mating took place and her Sire was hip tested also.

Isla was also tested clear for MRD at 6 weeks.

If I breed her she'll have her hips tested, eyes tested GPRA (Generalised Progressive Retinal Atrophy) and CPRA (Central Progressive Retinal Atrophy) and I'm also going to test for PFK a new disease found in Springers recently. :-(

Basically when you get a pup they should be from GPRA, PRA, Fucosidosis and HD tested parents and then the pup itself be MRD tested before going to its new home. PFK is very new and I only know of two other breeders in the country who test for it, but one to watch for I think.

Very, very pleased to here of the new DNA PRA test though! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Here's a link to the Health page of the English Springer Society with details of the new DNA PRA test and the research behind it:

http://www.englishspringer.org/Julia/pages/pageone.htm?breed_standard.htm~mainFrame

(Click on "Health Issues" on the lefthand side.)