Gypo,lurcher pup,very nippy Behaviour

Discussion in 'Lurcher Forum' started by jannie, Nov 20, 2007.

1. jannie

jannie New Member

Name:
    snakebite

Gypo,lurcher pup,very nippy

Hi,Gypo is now 10 weeks old.But he is very nippy.example,if you pick him up just to pat him,he automatically nips you.If you lean over to pat him he will jump and nip.It is annoying because i have tried every thing i know.I know about lurchers and grey hounds from my dear old grandad.But i can't get advice as he is no longer with us.This is my first own lurcher,but i don't remember them in my childhood being nippy.I am now 46 years old.Ye funny age to start with a lurcher some might ask.Any advice would be welcome.What am i doing wrong.I thought i was taught everything from my grandad seemingly not.His mum is a bullgreyhound x greyhound...his dad is colliegreyhound.Thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    I'd think i'd fully expect nipping at only 10 weeks old.

I'm sure you'll crack it in time though.
  4. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Normal behaviour IMO. Pup is just finding his feet, and his bite threshold. If he does nip you too hard, a short sharp, loud "AHHH" so that he realises he's overstepped the mark will work. No physical reprimand. Give it time though, he's only a learner :D
    Good luck :D
  5. mucky_pup

mucky_pup New Member

Name:
    farms

that is good advice i have 4 lurchers although mine are older a loud "ahhh" is good or if that does not work a firm "NO" then turn your back on the little fella and he will soon get the idea ,but loads of fuss evrytime he does not nip.
    hope this helps
  6. jannie

jannie New Member

Name:
    snakebite
    Thanks for the info.He is not too bad today.
  7. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
  8. jannie

jannie New Member

Name:
    snakebite
    Gypo for the last 2 days has calmed down with his nipping i am really proud of him.If he nips to hard when playing i just have to say no,an he stops.Now i can let him lick my face with out being worried,so my little mate is getting there.I actually had him on my knee yesterday having a good cuddle.He wasn't a very cuddley pup.But today he wanted on my knee oh for his cuddle.
  9. youngstevie

youngstevie

Well done Gypo.....see he has collie in him, collies nip it's instinct. Like everyone says feeling his feet, firm no usually works. Congratulations on your new pup by the way.:grin:
  10. I-mac77

I-mac77 New Member

Name:
    Iain
    I agree with the others, this is just normal puppy behaviour. I have no more advice than what has been put above. But you are doing nothing wrong. Take care
  11. jannie

jannie New Member

Name:
    snakebite
    not been on for a long time sadly gypo was poisioned and could not be saved,he died at 5 months old.He was poisioned in my back garden.He was a great loss this was last year.I now own a dobbie lurcher i got a few weeks ago, i also have rehomed last week a greyhound.It has nearly taken a year foe me to get over this.We have an idea who did it but have no proof but now all around my home is camered so it never happens again.We found the soars meat covered in anti-freeze.:-(
  12. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    Oh no... I'm so sorry for you, for the loss of your little boy..

But so happy you have found new love... Photos photos photos please... and one of little Gypo in the gone but not forgotten. I'll tell my Jackjack to go find him and protect him on the bridge.
  13. jannie

jannie New Member

Name:
    snakebite
    Thanks i was just looking through my cd.s of dogs i have rescued and rehomed,when i came across some of Gypo it still makes me cry,that is one pup i will never forget.I am going to start a new thread on my dobbie lurcher and now owner of 2 greyhounds.He will never be forgotten.:-(
  14. Fernsmum

Fernsmum New Member

Name:
    Ali
    Oh that's really awful poor Gypo :cry:
  15. lovezois

lovezois Fondly remembered

Name:
    Eunice
    So very sorry to hear about poor Gypo. There are some really horrible people out there.