gsp pups Questions

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by bud hayes, Apr 25, 2016.

1. bud hayes

bud hayes New Member

Name:
    bud

gsp pups

my female had 6 puppies a week ago and 3 of them have swollen back legs has any one seen this before, took them to the vet. and she is not sure what it is. we are giving them antibiatics now. my wife saw this on the internet and it did not look good, but what she saw was the whole body swollen and gets worse mine are just the back legs. can anyone help. with the pups now we have 10 short hairs, i dont want to sell a sick pup. thanks for your help
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Long shot but as bitch rolled on pups injuring them somehow
  5. bud hayes

bud hayes New Member

Name:
    bud
    thanks for replying, this is what my wife saw on the internet and does not look good
  6. bud hayes

bud hayes New Member

Name:
    bud
    from what it seams it is most likely genetics from mother or fathers breeding. thank you
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    As primary lymphedema is usually genetic, have you queried this with the breeders of your dam and/or sire?

One thing is for sure, you should not breed from your girl again, and if you sell the non-affected puppies, please make sure that they are sold as not for breeding.

I know what I would do with the affected puppies but I do not think it is something you would want to hear.

I am sorry.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    So sorry Bud.
    The way I understand it, this gene could have come from either parent, but I don't know whether there is a DNA test available which could identify which. I would suggest that you get in touch with the breed health co-ordinater for your national breed club. They are the most likely to have knowledge of the incidence of this condition in GSP's, and the club may also have a geneticist who could give you further advice.
  9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Malka and 6JRT's like this.
    Did you carry out the appropriate health tests? What does your mentor (usually an experienced breeder who you purchased your bitch from) think? I presume they have seen the pups and have been guiding you through the process?
  10. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Chris B likes this.
    I love how he can enjoy being inundated with questions that already have obvious answers, just to put him on the spot. If he had an experienced breeder to talk to, wouldn't he have known what this was already? Of course he would, so why say all this? And what good does asking him if he health tested do now? Malka gave the only advice that he needs, don't breed from the dogs again, and keep in mind that this condition is genetic.
  11. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    6JRT's and Malka like this.
    You fail to recognise that threads aren't there just for the OP - they are read many, many more times by guests. So my post wasn't just for the OP, it was a message for those thinking about breeding in future as well.
  12. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Yeah... Okay.

PS - You've said these things a million times over and you usually don't even attempt to help the OP, you just spot on that they didn't do everything right. I may "fail" to recognize that the threads aren't just for the OP - but I also fail to see why spotting a person each time they didn't do things to your standards instead of trying to offer sympathy or help like others did is truly useful to the OP.

But then, with this type of thing, I see why people don't stick around. I'm only glad others got to the thread with kindness before you showed up. You don't have to worry about explaining anything else to me. Seeing you write this type of post has bothered me for quite some time, I merely finally decided to mention it.

This is your site, run it how you want.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    mjfromga, Azz and Malka like this.
    @mjfromga I hope that you don't leave Myra. Your comments have always been honest and to the point.

@Azz To be fair to the OP, I don't think that there is a test which would have shown this condition. Our KC only recommends Hip and Eye testing, and suggests DNA tests for von Willebrands, Cone degeneration (day blindness), and the skin diseases Lupoid dermatosis, and EBJ. The University of Sydney has Lymphodema first on the list of cardiovascular problems in the GSP - I wonder if there is a geographical population bias, or they are better informed? I can't tell where Bud hails from - but I'm guessing it is the USA.

@bud hayes Please do report this to your Breed Club, (in my breed they have an online health survey), if nobody ever hears about these cases, every one will be the first that they have come across. Definitely, do tell your bitch's breeder, and the stud dog owner - you can't make them do anything about getting a geneticist's advice, but it will prevent them from being able to plead ignorance! I hope you will be able to come back with an update in due course.