Getting a Second dog... Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by WhichPets, Oct 7, 2011.

1. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets

Getting a Second dog...

I am hoping to get another dog within the next 6 months or so...

- Is this a good idea with Kestral? I'm hoping in the next few months training will continue to go well. I also feel that a confident dog would help to bring her out a bit, and she could potentially take cues to relax from another dog.. Clearly it could also go the other way and the new dog could learn from Kestral which is one reason why I think I must wait for a bit longer..

- I am considering whether a puppy or adult would be best. I would LOVE to rescue - as long as I could get a confident adult up to 3 yrs preferably I don't see why this should be a problem and may even be better? I am happy to deal with some 'issues' but fearful behavior wouldn't be suitable.

- I love the look of breeds with pointy ears and longish muzzles. I'm looking for a dog no greater than around 20kgs as Kestral seems happiest with medium sized dogs and is most practical for me.. Love the look of Elkhounds, Vallhunds etc but these do not come up in rescue often as far as I know.. Suggestions welcome :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    look for my post in rescue chat ...lol
  4. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Aw isn't she lovely! How coincidental l to have one in rescue just as I posted.. Such a shame she is nervous and it isnt 6 months from now :( At least I know you will be looking out!!

(thought you meant the husky x at first :shock:)
  5. Deb/Pugglepup

Deb/Pugglepup New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    I was under the impression that most breeds had their own breed rescues. I got Molly from a breeder 10 years ago, but only because the Yorkie rescues only had the very small type. I wanted a bigger one because the kids would trip over a tiny one. If I could have rescued a big Yorkshire Terrier, then I would have done.

I adopted Mindy from the DT only because she went there from a pound and had a date to be pts.

Would it not be worth looking at the breed rescues first to see if they have a suitable (adaptable age) etc first? :grin:

Good luck with your search

Debbie
  6. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
  7. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I often see 2 valhunds when we are out and and about ,lovely looking dogs ,....
  8. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Thanks, I will start looking in to breed rescues and other rescues etc nearer the time, but really just wondering whether its a good idea?!

Also, with regards to breed rescues, is it a good idea to register interest with them even if it would be a fairly long way down the line before I was in a position to adopt?

I met some vallhunds at crufts, they are so cute! Never seen them out and about though, I'm a bit jealous..
  9. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Any more thoughts on whether it would be a good idea or whether a rescue adult or puppy might be best?

Also quite like petit bassets and corgis :)
  10. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Remember to look beyond the cosmetic and research the reason they were designed.

Vallhund and Corgies are very similar as they were designed for similar purposes.

Elkhounds and PBGV are also similar.

You need to think about what are the pros and cons of each breed, for example, PBGV are really, like a lot of hounds, just life support systems for their noses! ;)

As for whether you are ready for another one now, I would say, do you want to add potential complications right now as you are happy with your current lifstyle/stage of training, or could you do with getting your dog in a better place?
  11. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Yes of course I would need to look in to the breed traits carefully, am just having a little browse at the moment and mentioned a few I like the look of but temprement is for me going to be more important in the long run...

Obviously I would like to improve on kestrels training first with her nervousness first but I would love another dog at some point in the near future and I think kestral would too :)
  12. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a
    I am also planning dog two but its going to be a while (a long while off)) before I propperly decide weather to get one o.0''

Millie is still learning the ropes though getting better everyday she is very social now never thought id think about getting another dog as im very fond of Millie now though I had a bad time with her early puppyhood but I think the second time round id more then prepaired now I know what to expect.

Would love to rescue too but Id be on the hunt for a smaller dog or the same size as Millie and would prefer a lower energy dog and thought an older dog might suitable.

I saw a Skye terrior and thought that would be definately my next dog but have had more thought about it and feel its a bit big for our house despite the short legs they are lovely but rare also.
  13. Red[dog]

Red[dog] New Member

Name:
    Red
    Have you thought about offering to volunteer at any of your local rescues? That way you could meet the dogs they have, walk them and see which ones suit you?

We've fallen in love with a dog at one of the rescues we volunteer at, she's a long term dog because she has so much energy (been there almost 3 years now from the age of 6 months!) and isn't much to look at but has a beautiful personality...when we're ready for a second dog we're kind of hoping she's still there :p

Red
  14. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    What sort of dog is this high energy one?
  15. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Good luck in your search Pippam in the future :)

Thanks Red - yes that's a great idea. I did have a look for some rescues near me, occasionally I walk the greyhounds at Wimbledon greyhound welfare (Hersham hounds), but I was unable to find any other rescues near enough to me to volunteer at - suggestions welcome near Kingston-upon-Thames :)

SB not sure if that post was related to me or not :blush: