German short haired pointers - how do they compare to dalmations, collies, terriers and labs? Questions

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by halfpenny, Aug 22, 2011.

1. halfpenny

halfpenny New Member

Name:
    halfpenny

German short haired pointers - how do they compare to dalmations, collies, terriers and labs?

Does anybody have any experience of them. We have had dalmations, collies, terriers and labs- so how do they compare.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Same coat as the Dallie, less hair than a collie, bigger than most terriers, and more independent than labradors.......... :)
  4. halfpenny

halfpenny New Member

Name:
    halfpenny
    Thanks :lol: I've just stopped one from being PTS and he arrives here tonight. He apparently get on with other dogs, so I hope he is ok with my lot!
  5. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Most GSPs have very good temperaments, being an HPR they are less handler dependant than many dogs, and they will give your DAlly a run for its money! ;) Nose can get them into trouble but generally very tractable unless it is from a hard hunting working line..........
  6. halfpenny

halfpenny New Member

Name:
    halfpenny
    His main problem is fear, he is very nervous. My lab is the hard work, he was rescued from a junkie and I've never see another dog like him.
  7. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    Lovely dogs but I'm bias ;-)

They can vary quite a lot in temperament, size and shape etc some can be more nervous others very bold or anywhere inbetween, some are noisy some are not, with such a lot of GSPs from different lines being bred for different qualities it's hard so say 'they are like this or that' if that makes sense?

But yeah in general they like to be off hunting for things, and just because a line is not bred to be hard hunting doesn't necessarelly mean it'll be any more biddable.
  8. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    I did my gundog training with my GWP with the North West GSP club. They are basically a sane, calm, easier to train version. Lovely dogs. I really like them.
    A bit of a generalisation I know but, that was the impression I got.
    The chap who was in charge could not find his dog one day. It was absolutley chucking it down with rain. I was wearing a floor length waterproof coat and his dog and my dog were crammed together between my legs keeping dry. My GWP hates the rain to.
    I have only met them working. I have never met one that is solely a pet.
    Well done you for saving him.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2011
  9. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    I remember what a huge culture shock my first one was. :grin:
    HPR dogs are very different to other types so I really do recommend you read up on them and also join a club where yours can teach you how gundogs work.
    Watching them working is fascinating. They are smashing dogs.
    I look forward to hearing about him.
  10. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    A taxi driver was telling me about his friends gsp recently, apparently it had managed to bring down a deer. They sound like lovely dogs though.
  11. halfpenny

halfpenny New Member

Name:
    halfpenny
    He's here, has settled in with the other dogs really well. There was no fuss overnight and he welcomed us as friends in the morning. I think he will be a very devoted family member given time and space.
  12. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    I have been told they are all perfectly capable of bringing down a stag!!!!! Mine is from working deer stalking parents. Mine stalks deer very well. Mine calls off luckily.
    It's quite good as I see the deer that I would never normally spot as Lottie points (literally) them out to me.
  13. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    Glad it's going well so far :grin: