Friend for my Mal-Pal Questions

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Adam757, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Adam757

Adam757 New Member

Name:
    Adam
    Azz likes this.

Friend for my Mal-Pal

Hey everyone! I have a 5 year old Alaskan Malamute named Beau. My wife and I recently separated and she took her dog with her. My Malamute has been acting out ever since (escaping from his crate, seeking more attention than usual, and he's also seemed kind of sad. I think it's because he longer has a dog friend around. Anyways, I'm considering getting a new dog to keep him company. I understand Malamutes don't get along with many dogs. After alot of research, I'm strongly considering a female Golden Retriever puppy. Does anybody have any experience with how they interact? Any information or advice is greatly appreciated!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    I think looking into a female puppy is a great idea! Some dogs interact better with dogs of the opposite sex. Is you Malamute neutered? Not sure if it would help with the interactions but it couldn't hurt. As far as Golden Retrievers go they usually love everyone, though I had a Golden who was protective of the family. Let us know how it goes!
  4. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    Never get a dog with the sole reason of being a friend for another dog.
    If you want a golden retriever (or any other breed) then fine, but do it for yourself. There is never any guarantee that two dogs will get along.

Your dog may be acting out due to the change in circumstances or picking up on your emotions, rather than missing the other dog.
  5. Adam757

Adam757 New Member

Name:
    Adam
  6. Adam757

Adam757 New Member

Name:
    Adam
    Yes he's definitely neutered. And I've been wanting another dog for a while and I've always wanted a Golden. Thanks for your reply!
  7. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Goldens are wonderful dogs. Mine sadly died of cancer at just 6 years old. Please be sure and ask any potential breeder you may get the dog from if there is any cancer in the lines or has been. It will save you a lot of heartache. Have a great day!