English and German lines General Chat

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Wolfie, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie

English and German lines

After reading a couple of threads on the main board, I thought it might be a good idea to post here about the differences in the two lines of GSDs.

I currently own GSDs from german lines. Smaller framed, sloping backs etc. The English GSD has to be my fave though. I love the bigger frame and flat back. :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Emm

Emm New Member

I prefer the Engish frame as well - the GSD we used to have was flat backed
  4. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    The GSD has changed so much over the years though. If we looked back to the very first GSD (the Duetche von Shafferhund) it looks nothing like the dogs we have today :-(
  5. Emm

Emm New Member

do you have pictures? I've never seen pictures of the first GSD - to be quite honest I really don't know much about their history
  6. Gems

Gems New Member

Name:
    Gemma
    I personally prefer the english lines, i like the straight back, but each to their own ;)
  7. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Actually there are three "types"of GSD The English, the International & the American !

The very early dogs looked nothing like the English dogs no matter what the people who like the English type might like to think. The English type are bred to the dogs that were fashionable in the 50's & 60's short legged, very long body & heavy bodied.

The first GSD to go BIS at Crufts is described as being "straight"backed however having actually seen Fenton in the flesh he was anything but have a huge dip behind the withers & a very soft topline

Here are some photos you tell me which is which type

[img-big]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/Joedeeuk/gsds/ECHOz.jpg[/img-big]
    [img-big]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/Joedeeuk/gsds/Shooterswaylido.jpg[/img-big]
    [img-big]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/Joedeeuk/gsds/spartan20general.jpg[/img-big]
    [img-big]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/Joedeeuk/gsds/FentonofKentwood.gif[/img-big]
    [img-big]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/Joedeeuk/gsds/gsdusa.jpg[/img-big]
    [img-big]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/Joedeeuk/gsds/Horand20von20Grafrath.jpg[/img-big]
    [img-big]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/Joedeeuk/gsds/timo_profil.jpg[/img-big]​

BTW one is just a bit obvious ;-)
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2005
  8. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    Emm, the history of the German Shepherds dates back to as early as the 7th Century A.D. The German Shepherds roots are in the mountain sheepdog of Germany. About 1880 the German army modified this breed for work as a military dog. The first German Shepherd exhibit was in 1882 in Hanover. Credit for the formation of the modern breed is given to German fancier Rittmeister von Stephanitz.

If you click on this link, it'll explain the history of the GSD

GSD history
  9. Emm

Emm New Member

thanks for that wolfie :grin:
  10. willowish

willowish New Member

Name:
    Gillian
    Well as I have spoken to you about GSD's before Dyane I have too much inside knowledge on some of those pictures but would love to see what others make of them :grin:

[​IMG]
  11. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    Thanks for that link Wolfie!

All I know is I like the heavy, big boned type of g.s.d. rather than the sleek, lighter framed ones. I like Wolfie's Shaan, he is my favourite type. :grin:

When I'm more alert tomorrow I will work out what I'm supposed to be looking for in those pics, coz to me, if they all stood up properly instead of having their hind legs pulled back, then they would all look straight backed anyway - no?? Heeeeeeelp :? :grin:

Will my pedigrees have written on them somewhere then if I look back through their lines whether they are German or British? I know nothing about this, I just like g.s.d's full stop :lol:
  12. tjhoe68

tjhoe68 New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    I prefer the big boned type with the straight back personally :grin: Although I do love all GSd's :grin:

Although Barney has a straight back he isn't as big as some GSd's I've seen, in fact he is quite small framed I think, although he's probably still growing. He's not quite a year yet and at the moment he looks a bit skinny.

Sorry :blush: going off topic a bit here :blush:

But if the big boned, straight backed GSD's are English then that's what I prefer :grin:

Right, JD, I'm hopeless at this kind of thing but here goes my (probably wrong) guesses

1. English?
    2. American?
    3. German?
    4. English?
    5. German?
    6. English?
    7. American?

They're probably all wrong :blush:
  13. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    My guesses on those pics are

1=English
    2=German
    3=American
    4=English
    5=American
    6=German
    7=German

Come on Jodee, don't keep us in suspense :lol:
  14. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    Well here goes then:

No. 6 doesn't float my boat quite honestly it looks a bit odd!

1. English
    2. German
    3. American
    4. German
    5. German
    6. American
    7. English

Come on JD put us out of our misery, soooooooon!
  15. BrandieSnap

BrandieSnap New Member

Name:
    Suzie
    Well I don't know what types they are :? but I like the 1st one.
    Gorgeous :smt007
  16. maplecottage

maplecottage New Member

I love GSD's regardless of their lines but when choosing Fern I differ from the overall opinion on the thread, I am quite partial to the German lines, for my wee boy I find him to be quite elegant (can dogs be gay :lol: ) ...he makes me laugh he trots like a horse in dressage :lol:
  17. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    Lol Ingrid! Yes they can, coz Georgie is a Gay boy, I caught him h*mping his labrador mate Billy this morning!!! :lol:
  18. maplecottage

maplecottage New Member

:lol: :lol:

Well something to look forward to then, Fern's a delicate wee flower - and a drama queen so it's just a matter of time.....hmmm perhaps Georgie might like another boyfriend GSD :lol:
  19. tjhoe68

tjhoe68 New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    Lol @ you two :lol: I think Barney's Bi-sexual, cos he tries humping male and female :lol: :lol: :lol:
  20. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    LOL A few of you are going to be very very surprised ;-)

1-Echo Von Krappfeld-Obviously from his name a German Import with perfect hips(scored 0:0=0 in the UK & he was my dog carrying the real all black colour)

2-Ch Shootersway Lido-BOB winner at Crufts (& of the International type)

3.Ch Lornaville Spartan General-English-No level back/topline very steep sloping back

4-Ch Fenton of Kentwood-First "Alsatian"to go BIS at Crufts Please note he does not have a straight level back(dip behind the withers)

5-American obviously-note the over angulated front & rear & very sloping back

6-Horand von Grafrath SV1-a Sable dog the first SV registered GSD & ergo the first recognized GSD-German

7-Timo vom Berrekasten VA2-German(reserve Sieger for two years)A grey(uk sable)dog-this is the colour that sable marked dogs should have being they are in fact the basis of all GSD colours.

So in fact none that has anywhere near a straigh level back so beloved of "Alsatian" & even Horand if stood in the classic GSD show stance would not have a straight level back(you can see his pronounced withers even in his badly posed photograph)

These are a selection from 1899 to 2000 None from any of the three types has a straight level back-the breed standard calls "Withers long, of good height and well defined, joining back in a smooth line without disrupting flowing topline, slightly sloping from front to back" BTW so those who like the straight level topline like non typical GSDs !

Look very closely at the dogs legs & feet(the rear especially) notice some have the leg below the hock jock almost touching the ground-a sign of over angulation!
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2005
  21. Foxy

Foxy

Name:
    F

Hi Wolfie,

Yes my GSD was from the English lines - he had a very flat and very long back. I often wondered why some GSD's sloped down at the back and others didn't, I didn't realise there was English and German lines :roll:

My GSD had to be put to sleep due to anal furuncleosis which is very common in GSD and GSD crosses according to what I have read about it and I'm not sure whether I have also read that the English lines are more prone to it - have you ever heard anything like this? :?