Do you walk your Alaskan malamute off lead? Questions

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by vickinicks, Sep 28, 2007.

1. vickinicks

vickinicks New Member

Name:
    victoria

Do you walk your Alaskan malamute off lead?

How many of you mally owners walk your dog off lead. I know there was a thread about sibes not long ago.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Yes I do however mine are trained to competition standard in obedience and very focused. I work with them every day in all sorts of exercises to keep them attentive.
    Most people do not, although puppies are generally fine :)
  4. vickinicks

vickinicks New Member

Name:
    victoria
    Do you think if you walk them off lead at an early age they will be better off lead. I know mallys have a high pray drive and can run off but if walk them off lead as soon as you can this will make a diffrence? I would never put my dog in danger but I've always enjoyed walking my other dogs off lead.If it's not ment to be then fine.
  5. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Puppies are generally fine.. until one day they think.. "am big now.. don't need you... now what's over there!"

Mine get off in enclosed spaces only (and the garden of course)
  6. vickinicks

vickinicks New Member

Name:
    victoria
    She will be allowed out properly on Thursday, we live near a castle which has a mote it's all enclosed dogs can't get out only up the small steps that has a gate, do you think I could let her off there and see how we get on?
  7. mforster85

mforster85 New Member

Name:
    michelle
    i let koda off in enclosed spaces theres a dog park near us so the dogs can run around like nutters for abit we let him off at our local beach but only if theres noone else there
  8. Heidi1

Heidi1 New Member

Name:
    Jill
    I know some people who let their mal off and he does tend to wander a bit, but they seem to get him back. He is very friendly with other dogs and people.
  9. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Puppies usually have a "mummy" dependency.. So I would think she would be fine.. just make it fun.. if she refuses to come back to you... run in the opposite direction calling her and making yourself as exciting as possible.

But she may one day just decide not to come back
  10. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    That's how I train all mine no matter what breed .... but if you want instant and 100% reliable recall you have to put a LOT of work in as if it isn't reliable you can not safely let your dog off.

MOST Mals are NOT safe off lead.
  11. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Agree with Ju, we only let off in enclosed spaces......just in case ;)
  12. vickinicks

vickinicks New Member

Name:
    victoria
    making yourself as exciting as possible.

But she may one day just decide not to come back[/QUOTE]

LOL I'm a very exciting person :lol: :grin:
    I'll give her a go off lead at the moat and see how she gets on.
  13. Brian

Brian New Member

Name:
    Brian
    My late Mal was always exercised off lead. If properly trained I can't see the problem. I've 3 Sibes now and they are all exercised off lead too :smt001
  14. mo

mo New Member

Name:
    Maureen Boyd
    I would say as they are younger(puppies) they are pretty reliable on staying close to you but more often than not unless you put LOADS of time and effort into training I would say the majority of malamutes are not to be trusted off lead(there is always an exception to the rule) I personally dont take the risk, why should I chance any of my dogs to go running off for whatever reason, and possibly getting killed by a car? I had sammies for over 20 years before owning my mals and they had a similar attitude, so to me its not a biggy having to take my lot to an enclosed area to get a good runabout, plus mine get a lot of exercise apart from the free running.

Mo
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2007
  15. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Well said Mo, I agree totally. It's not worth the risk.
  16. flow-wolf

flow-wolf New Member

Name:
    jools
    I walk mine off lead and she's fine
  17. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Have you walked her off lead since she escaped out your garden?
  18. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    :smt043 :smt043