Do you find Boxers dog aggressive . General Chat

Discussion in 'Boxer' started by Murf, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf

Do you find Boxers dog aggressive .

Do you find Boxers dog aggressive ??
    Do you find your dogs have issues with boxers ?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
  4. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    The ones I've met no, one of those being a teenager, another one hurfing up to us with the owner nowhere in sight, but thankfully, they've always been very nice...... so far!
  5. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    I rarely come across a Boxer that is not dog aggressive TBH. Perhaps we are just unlucky though.
  6. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    A. As a rule - no, however theres always the exception. I have had a Boxer (m) who was dog aggressive

B. As above

Why the questions? Has someone said your dogs are aggressive?
  7. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    I`ve always found Boxers friendly but unfortunately Shamus has issues with them. :blush:
  8. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    We meet one on our walk that's always on lead because he's DA although he's never really shown any real sign of it, we sometimes pass quite close by on narrow paths and he's never gone for any of mine but then again mine walk on by when told to.
    My dogs don't have issues with any dogs.
  9. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Most of the ones I have met are bouncy happy clowns

Infact the one who lived in our street used to often play with my two and loved to let them pin him to the floor and pounce him - even tho he was 4 times the size of them

I can see how they could become aggressive tho as I have met many teenage ones who are really annoying to older dogs - its more than possible they get told off one too many times

but overall the ones I have met are lovely
  10. zarah

zarah New Member

Name:
    zarah
    Same here unfortunately. My Dobermann was attacked by one as a puppy. I tend to avoid them like the plague now. I went to a companion show in aid of one of the Boxer rescues some years back and the number of fights that broke out (between Boxers) was just insane. I have noticed that alot of people tend to use flexi leads on them and have no control whatsoever (not saying this about all Boxer owners obviously!).

There is one male we see who has walked daily with a dog walker with a whole pack of dogs from a very young age and he seems to be fine.

I don't dislike them perse (I love the HUGE chops and the Boxer bounce!) but in MY experience they tend to be another breed that are fine with people, but not usually trustworthy around other dogs.

My dog is fine with them.
  11. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Nearly every boxer Ozzie meets has a go at him...
    Maybe he gives off a vibe..
    We met a white boxer today who soon as he seen Oz went heckles up and edgy
    Then the dog went for Snoop and Ozzie took offence and went in so i had to pull both of them off the other dog...

No dog were hurt and no dogs were on leads..
  12. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone

Name:
    Jules
    I dont come across many boxers TBH. There is one that I have seen twice in the last year and it was a bit dog aggressive. however, when I was a kid we had a boxer and he was totally fine with other dogs. I think it depends on the individual boxer!
  13. Jenn~n~Luke

Jenn~n~Luke New Member

Name:
    Jenn
    I haven't found a lot of them to be aggressive, however I do notice that their play style sets off a lot of dogs. Luke doesn't like rough and tumble, jumpy wrestling type dogs, and I have yet to meet a boxer that didn't play that way, including my Mom's new pup who turned out to be 3/4 boxer NOT a valley bull...anyway he doesn't like her at all. We're really upset about it but he's made it very clear he has no interest in her and she's to stay away from him. I had so hoped....anyway totally different topic.
  14. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    You need to put some new pics of that pup up ...
  15. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    My Lab was attacked by two of them when he was young as well. My friends dog was then attacked by the same two at a different time, while the owner completely ignored it and walked off. Unlike my Lab, my friends dog now hates Boxers and is terrified of them. I also know a couple of local dog walkers have had issues with Boxers (including a lovely old Irish Setter who got a large part of its ear ripped off by one :-() so I unfortunately give them the wide birth too.
  16. IsoChick

IsoChick New Member

Name:
    Shelley
    I have one DA Boxer, and one who is fine with other dogs....

I think a lot of the issue with Boxers vs other dogs is their stance and the way they carry themselves and play etc. They are rough, bouncy, paw-splatt-y, chasing, wrestling dogs who drag each other to the floor to play bitey-fce...

I sometimes think my two are worse, cos they play rough with each other all of the time, without much other 'doggy' moderation.

I must point out however, that both of my 2 absolutely HATE labradors... especially black ones. They have been attacked a number of times by black labs and now will not even be near an in-control lab....
  17. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Some are some aren't over the years I've had 6 Boxers all dogs. 2 I had to watch with other dogs the others were all fine. One was attacked so many times at obedience shows that he began to get in first.

Boxers don't help themselves as they do tend to stare which can upset other dogs also the way they stand and move can cause them to look aggressive to other dogs None of my other breeds have had issues with Boxers maybe because I am used to them
  18. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

Bandit was the same, Black labs, he absolutely hated, he had been attacked by so many over the years, he got to the point were he would not tolerate any...... in saying that there is a lovely black lab round the corner, but in the same breath two terrors not to far away , who terrorize most dogs they see, separate dogs with separate owners.

I agree, I think Boxers can intimidate other dogs , by their stance, play, other dogs eem to take the attitude , "I`ll get in first" which is not helpful as it then sets the Boxer off.

Some oen once told me the Boxer is a lover, not a hater, but boy when they learn to hate, they get a diploma in it :lol:

Bandit loved all other dogs, (other than black labs) and Millie hate everything on 4 legs.

Boxers are no different than most other confident breeds, some are OK some are not and its not always down to breeding, they are a breed in the most part that wont back down from a fight, if challenged,
  19. pam

pam New Member

Name:
    PAM
    Well ive one here that doesnt know the meaning of aggressive:grin: he boldly goes in where most fear to tread..his mum was the same never had any issues..we met a dobbie on the beach who warned him off:roll: solo thought he was playing he had no idea of the warning signs..
    now Laiya on the other hand was attacked just recently by a jack russell:twisted: we was walking past and this ankle biter shot under the gate and went for her..i pulled her away and told her no.but her hackles went up and she was mouthing..
    I do believe its the nature of the beast and boxers being bouncy..all mouth and not much bite or mouthing as they do very well.would i trust my pup off lead around other dogs simple answer is No..solo yes
  20. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Ah - when i had the little Griffs i was told then tbat other dogs didnt always like flatter faced dogs as they were unsure of how to read them. Throughout the years off and on i have found this to be true with some dogs, vast majority no however a few yes

Fortunately perhaps most of the Boxers i have had were more interested in what i was doing, if a dog came/comes up to them, they will do what dogs do but come back to us immediately

One bitch i had - she had a real "thing" about long haired male dogs esp GSDs & red Setters. She would flaunt herself shamelessly at them! I used to send one of the other dogs after her to round her up!

Then i had one that i had to be really careful with as he didnt like other dogs - dogs or bitches! He didnt discriminate! He was good with otger dogs we had. His owner couldnt cope
    with him. He became my shadow, only had to put my hand down & the big head was there.
  21. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I have long held a theory about Boxers and the predisposition of the breed to find trouble.

I do not believe that they are inherently aggressive (if such a thing exists) however breeders have designed them so that their outline gives other dogs the message of "I am on the lookout" ie their body language screams out aggressive posture to dogs.

Have a look at any dog language books.

Head erect, body weight forward, and top heavy, standing on tippy toes, tail erect etc.

This combined with their facial characteristics give off vibes which other dogs react to (very similar to how owners make dogs on lead stand when they have tight leads and are unsure of their or other dog, which is one reason why on lead interactions often end in trouble).

Boxers also tend to play very vigourously and "box" so even if a dog does not react to their stance, they can often get ovewhelmed by their extreme need for body contact.

Most boxers I meet are very "in your face" but not "aggressive"