Do you allow your Beagle to sniff on walks?? Questions

Discussion in 'Beagle' started by AmyH-Cornwall, Nov 2, 2009.

1. AmyH-Cornwall

AmyH-Cornwall New Member

Name:
    Amy

Do you allow your Beagle to sniff on walks??

Hi

I was watching the Dog Whisperer last night and there was a Beagle on there who had an excessive sniffing problem! He would contstantly run in circles sniffing the ground and crying, he even sniffed so bad sometimes he would cut his nose! Obviously his owners were concerned!

Anyway Cesar said that he is probably not being exercised enough and took him for a good run using his skates, though he said the beagle shouldn't be allowed to sniff when he is walking like this (he should be in "travelling mode") I was just wondering what you guys think about letting Beagles have a good sniff when they are out?? He tried to incorparate games where the dog would sniff out toys etc, but would not let him just sniff and go excessive when the dog wanted to!

Just want to know what everyones thoughts are on letting Beagles sniff - surely it is there nature to do it? (I don't normally like the way Cesar does stuff but I do admire what he does)

Thanks in advance :grin: :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

Forget what CM has to say, and follow your instinct, Beagles are bred to use their nose, whats wrong with allowing him to have a little stimulation on his walks.

Carry on as you are..
  4. tinkladyv

tinkladyv New Member

Name:
    Gem
    I think his advice sounds sensible we are fostering a Beagle currently and oh do they sniff :) and on her morning and evening walk, she can sniff all she likes and she does for the whole walk, but in the afternoon, i do a third walk with her at a pace as we are trying to move some excessive walk and then she cant sniff as i keep her going without stopping unless she needs to toilet.
  5. Emma

Emma New Member

Name:
    Emma
    My sister had two, they love to sniff, that is their thing (if you get my meaning) I get that you don't want to stop every five seconds and 'travel mode' sounds like exercise as in walking at good pace. I think there should be sniff time and exercise time. Especially if they can not be let off the lead for any reason.
  6. AmyH-Cornwall

AmyH-Cornwall New Member

Name:
    Amy
    Thanks

I don't actually have my Beagle yet, he will be arriving shortly hopefully but it is good to get some info now!

Thanks, anyone else have any opinions? :grin:
  7. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

i think most of us need a time when we let our dogs know we are on work time not sniff time, i have watched an old lady stood in the middle of the road waiting for her dog to stop sniffing

but also all dogs need to sniff, scenting games and rewarding a dog for paying attention to you by sending them off again to sniff is cool

beagles are just using so much of their concentraition on sniffing that they can miss hearing you or become engrossed, training a really fantastic recal that can break tru that intense concentration is going to take time
  8. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    I try and encourage mine not to sniff when on lead. They are only ever on lead for probably 5-10 minutes tops until we get to an off lead area, then they are free to sniff as they please. So, I don't think 5-10 minutes of controlled walking is too much of a hardship for them. That said, for us it is easier said then done as I have two young dogs who's lead manners are not exactly award winning!
  9. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    yes - my opinion is that treat your dog (which is a hunting dog) kindly and fairly. And that you don`t take advice from a man who only `deals` with problem dogs.
    Your dog will be your friend and you will learn together. I`d stick to Puppy books for a while.
  10. tinkladyv

tinkladyv New Member

Name:
    Gem
    He doesnt only deal with problem dogs!
    Whilst i know there is very devided opinion on his methods, there is some good advice in their and i think this is good advice and it seems that most here on this thread agree.
  11. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Doesn`t he, never seen him deal with any dog that has not got a problem of one kind or another.

Even his minor cases have some for of behavioural problems, albeit, most caused by inappropriate owners
  12. ClaireandDaisy

Name:
    Claire
    I`m not going to let CM fans hijack this thread by starting a row :lol:
    The OP can make her own mind up. :002:
  13. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    ALL dogs should be allowed to sniff on walks, Esp Dogs bred to use their noses like scent hounds. It would be mental cruelty to not allow it.

with a new pup, clean slate, i would teach a command to put his nose down & be a dog & a command to stop, Then your Controlling the behaviour & therefore the dog & the dog can be a dog!!!!
  14. AmyH-Cornwall

AmyH-Cornwall New Member

Name:
    Amy
    Thanks everyone!

I know people are very divided on Cesar to, and I personally wouldn't carry out the things he uses, however thats not to say I don't think they are sucessful - but I don't know if I believe it to be a long term fix or not!

I just wondered what people thought about letting dogs do something that is natural to them - especially a hound! I think a mix between a good solid walk and sniff is the best way! However the dog last night was very excessive and was obviously a danger to himself!

:grin:
  15. tinkladyv

tinkladyv New Member

Name:
    Gem
    Why am i trying to Hijack this???? And why am i trying to cause a row, i have accepted he is often controversial on here, but as most people on this thread suggest this method that the thread was began about is actually what the majority appear to be saying is perfectly ok.
    I dont agree he only deals with problem dogs as he has a new series about how to raise a pup , a book- how to raise there perfect dog, to mention but a few.
  16. tinkladyv

tinkladyv New Member

Name:
    Gem
    I agree a bit of both is best and good luck with your Beagle, they are the most wonderful dogs. Im so so tempted to keep our current resident! :)
  17. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    same here ;-) :mrgreen:
    although it may be a tad harder to achieve with a beagle,as their noses are closer to the ground ;-)
  18. ClaireandDaisy

Name:
    Claire
    Nope! No good - I`m not playing. The OP sounds intelligent enough to raise a puppy on her own. :lol:
  19. tinkladyv

tinkladyv New Member

Name:
    Gem
    Whaaaaaat???????????????????:shock:
  20. AmyH-Cornwall

AmyH-Cornwall New Member

Name:
    Amy
    Thank-you, I am very excited about getting him and am going to settle for a bit of both! - Would love to see some pics of your current resident Beagle! :grin:

I am guessing the OP is me? Sorry I am new to all this what does OP stand for? And thanks I hope I can raise him good enough!

:grin:
  21. tinkladyv

tinkladyv New Member

Name:
    Gem
    Im not very good with putting up pictures, but if you look on the many tears website at Brandy, that is she. Brandy is just perfect, utterly scrumptious and looking for a home;-)