Different Coloured Dogs General Chat

Discussion in 'Labrador Retriever' started by cochillo, Jan 14, 2008.

1. cochillo

cochillo New Member

Name:
    ann

Different Coloured Dogs

I know a few of you often post about dogs with unusual names and colours. Well here is a good one for you. Black and Tan Labradors! These came from a black labrador bitch and a yellow stud dog. Two of the puppies turned out Black & Tan, the breeder thought the bitch must have got out and was mated by a mongrel. So he had them DNA tested. The DNA testing proved they were labradors and the kennel club have registered them as Black & Tan Labradors.

What do you think of that!

Cochillo
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Stormey

Stormey New Member

Name:
    Phill
    If you type mismarked labradors into google there is a lot of pages showing these.
  4. sammerson

sammerson New Member

Name:
    Sam
    my neighbor actually has a black and tan lab, she is colored much like a rotty and for the longest time I thought she was just a mutt but I talked to him one day about her and sure enough, she is a full blood lab, never would have guessed!!!
  5. cochillo

cochillo New Member

Name:
    ann
    sorry stormey was doing some research into another breed, so i got hold of a copy of our dogs last week and its on the front page. 1st time i have seen them, but dont look like the labs i am used to seeing
    i think it could be because we dont see them that we asume they aren't labs
  6. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Colours of a dog can be misleading to what breed or cross they are, but if you know the breed and can look passed the colour to see the shape and the way they are built it does become easier to see what they are. But doing this does take practice.
  7. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    I once met someone with a black and brindle (where on earth does the brindle come from) lab bought it on holiday in Ireland known as an "Irish Labrador":roll: bit like the Irish poodles Ive met:roll:
    Sorry folks I'm not trying to upset Irish members of the forum:blush:

x x
  8. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
    lol Irish Labrador, thought they were more pit type, do you mean it was actually a brindle lab? lol
  9. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    They are regular colours just hidden away for generations because the genes that allow them to be expressed are limited in the gene pool. Apparently it has been found that Labradors are fixed for tan pointsl. That means that every Labrador carries the tan pointing gene.
    Click here and go to page 12 which states this!
    So basically every Labrador is a tan point in disguise! I also hold the theory that this is true of poodles :mrgreen: :smt002
    Would also like to point out that Weimaraners and Shar Pei have also produce tan pointed examples of their breeds!
    Becky
  10. Rookgeordiegirl

Name:
    Jeanette
    It was black other than being a very rich brindle practically up to its wrists and hocks.
  11. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    The brindle gene only effects the yellow pigment so a tan pointed labrador with brindle would have brindle points instead of a solid tan colour. There was one in Coopers training class!
    Becky

ETA I walked a chocolate and tan labrador as a child well over 25 years ago!
  12. Rookgeordiegirl

Name:
    Jeanette
    Becky you are a wealth of information:grin:

thankyou

Jeanette:grin: :grin:
  13. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I just stumble across these things when surfing lol! However, colour genetics do fascinate me and they are changing all the time so once I get my head round something it usually has changed as they've discovered something else :roll:
    Becky