Chi Chi balding? Grooming

Discussion in 'Chihuahua' started by Princess Peach, May 8, 2012.

1. Princess Peach

Princess Peach New Member

Name:
    Peach

Chi Chi balding?

Hey

I have an absolutely gorgeous 11 month old Chi Chi pup.

His mum was the Powder Puff & his dad was a long haired Chihuahua.

When I got him at 8wks of age he had a slight bald area under his chin & on his chest, the vet assured me it wasnt any kind of infection/allergy ect.....as the months have gone on the area is getting bigger & is on more parts of his body. He is know practically bald on his front legs (attatched to the area on his chest) & his back legs.

I've read somewhere that this can happen as the Hairless gene will still be within the dogs.

Has anyone else experienced this & is it normal??

Grateful for any help & advice :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    There will be NO hairless gene. The PP carries no part of the hairless gene, therefore cant pass it on.. even when mated to another PP. The HL gene is only carried by those affected (being the hairless dogs) these are the only dogs that can produce hairless dogs, by passing down the genes.

The bald spots on your dog will have NOTHING what so ever to do with the Chinese Crested side of the mix if she was indeed a PP. - although the mum may be genetically a hairy hairless.
  4. Princess Peach

Princess Peach New Member

Name:
    Peach
    The person I got him from said there was at least 2 HL dogs/bitches within the mums history, how much further down that line I'm not sure.

If thats the case then I have no idea what the balding can be, I think his brother has gone the same way. Could it be the Hairy Hairless gene coming through? Or just him going bald?
    I'm confused now haha
    Thanks for the reply :)
  5. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Hairless dogs can produce powderpuffs when mated to another hairless or a powderpuff.

a powderpuff to another puffs, or another coated breed can NEVER produce a hairless dog. Its genetically impossible.

There will be a number of hairless and powderpuffs with ANY Chinese Cresteds pedigree..

Even if the bitch of your puppy has two hairless parents, if she is a puff she still cant produce a hairless puppy ... again that is impossible.

There are alot of hairy hairless dogs around atm. - and it is possible that genetically the mum to your pup is one, therefore carrying the HL gene, meaning she again can produce hairless puppies. - IF she is genetically a puff, then I would lean more towards a health issue as the balding isnt coming from the CC within him.