Chest Covering on Working Springer Discussions

Discussion in 'English Springer Spaniel' started by Ness, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Ness

Ness New Member

Name:
    Helen

Chest Covering on Working Springer

Hello All, I'm Helen and from Cornwall, at present have 2 Springer Spaniels, Jess 9 and Tia 2. Have also owned a GSD and BSD, (hankering after another GSD but presently can't have 1).
    Tia is a working gundog who doesn't have a lot of chest covering and so gets sore and scratched up when working. Have been on loads of gundogs and other pet supplies sites and looks as though what we require is a small Remington Chest Protector, now I can find a couple in the US (but some don't ship to here) but can find nothing in the UK, can't believe we're the only ones with this problem and wondered if anyone can help please.:twisted: :roll:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Ness :) how about this from Snowpaws, it says it is suitable for working gundogs..

http://www.snowpawstore.co.uk/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=328&cat=63

[​IMG]

4. Ness

Ness New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Chest Covering on Springer Spaniel

Hello, sorry I'm new and haven't found my way around yet, I posted this question on Intros and should have done it here, also will put it on Working Dogs so sorry if I'm repeating myself!!! :blush:
    We have a 2 yr old gundog (Springer) who has very little covering on her chest so gets cut and sore. I have found a Remington Chest Protector which sounds ideal but it doesn't seem to be sold over here. I seemed to have gone on every gundog and pet stores/supplies sites and really can't believe we're the only ones with this problem. Has anyone else come across the same situation?

Thankyou:roll:
  5. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    Hi,
    sorry, I don't have any experience of this, but did come across a couple of possibilities to protect her - not very similar to the remmington one, but these might still do the job ?

http://www.twenga.co.uk/offer/44958/2072447809183836357.html

http://www.gundoggear.co.uk/dokken-neoprene-supervest-79-p.asp

I wondered whether, if she's an inside dog, your house is so warm that she's never needed her coat to thicken out? Also whether a change of diet or supplements may help?

ETA - just seen Mini has already posted about one of these protectors
    (shame she can't borrow some off my dogs - both have very hairy chests :lol:)
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2008
  6. Ness

Ness New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Hi all,

Thanks for the replies and welcomes, sorry being a bit of a bimbo, promise to take some time to work my way around the site before posting again!!!

Minihaha, thanks, have looked at this 1 and thought it suitable but OH doesn't seem to think its appropriate!!! (will get him to have another look)

Hali, she's a semi indoor/outdoor dog, only out when I'm working (5 days in a month, the rest is nights). We do have heating but its never on (long story..old house, hubby's a builder..global warming...blah blah), and she is a bit of a wuss, shivers when inside!!! Will have a look at those sites in a mo.

Anyway thanks very much again for replies and welcome, sorry for being a pain (must be cos I'm Cornish!!) will let you know how we get on.

Helenxx
  7. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Helen :) I used to know someone with a working lab who had a protector similar to the one in the picture. She jumped in a pond and her chest was cut quite badly on some hidden object, her chest had to be stitched . Afterwards there was a scar and the chest coat never grew back properly so she wore a chest protector (I don't know where they got it from) .
  8. pwd07@tiscali.c

pwd07@tiscali.c New Member

Name:
    Paul
    HI NESS I am Paul from Gundog Gear and only yesterday did we get the Briars vest protectors in from the US ..Made to protect the front chest area from thick cover etc..Just havent had time to stick them on our site yet but will do as soon as I can get the Lab or Cocker to put one on and have its pic taken , so by the weekend..If you want anymore details just e mail me through the site . Hope this helps Paul
    www.gundoggear.co.uk

Just opend one for a peek...Basicly it a tough nylon single layer Orange hi Viz dog jacket with some adjustment and a double patch on the chest ,not as formidable as the Dokken vests but if your dog is going into rough stuff then any snagy material even neoprene would be a nightmare so the nylon makes scence..however has no real thermal properties so its a trade off between looks warmth and snag resistance . Expect them to be around £12.99 to £13.99 dep on size so not to expensive given they are going to be slightly disposable if fitted to a Cocker or Springer :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2008
  9. Ness

Ness New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Hi Paul, thankyou very much for the info. Will get OH to have a look tonite.
  10. Ness

Ness New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Hi Paul, OH doesn't like the look of that one, seems to have set his heart on the Remington Chest Protector, back to the drawing board....Thanx very much anyway
  11. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    How short is the hair ?

I only ask as what I'd consider short chest hair for a Springer could be longer than lab length yet not all labs have problems.

Hope that makes sense.

Is it really short ?

I was half wondering if he's working somewhere (types of undergrowth - allergy ) that don't agree with her ??
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2008
  12. mse2ponder

mse2ponder New Member

Name:
    Charlotte
    I wonder whether it would be worth getting something custom made? TRPD (google 'pet craft project') helps various dog charities by making coats/collars/leads/harnesses etc. They do make things to measure so I'm sure it'd be worth asking them if they could replicate that design. It's worth a shot! Hope you find something suitable.
  13. Ness

Ness New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Thanx very much for the info will see what we can do.

Hi Phil - difficult to say really not really short but not a lot of it if you see what I mean!! :roll: Its just the normal sort of undergrowth. Seems a bit strange cos her lines are from good working/field trials. :lol: