Can a GSP be a good apartment dog? Any way to train to deal with thunder? Questions

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by Ibenjamin, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Ibenjamin

Ibenjamin New Member

Name:
    Ian
    Azz likes this.

Can a GSP be a good apartment dog? Any way to train to deal with thunder?

About 6 months back I rescued a German shorthaired pointer wandering around in the street and couldn't find her original home, so we decided to keep her. Now, we currently live in an apartment complex, and we are able to take her out when we can. A problem we are facing is that, would it be torture to keep an outdoor dog like herself cooped up in an apartment, with the excepting of taking her on walks, or should we find an outdoor farm home for her.

She is really affectionate and craves attention. But as soon as you take her out for a long walk, maybe an hour later she is back to whining like crazy at the front door! I would feel bad keeping her locked up when she craves to be outside, but she also is smitten by all the attention we give her.

And lastly, She is beyond scared of Thunder and lightning. She will tremble like crazy.. another reason I am asking for advice is, we are moving to Tampa, FL , the lightning capital of the world. Do you think we could train her to be okay living there? I know there's those jackets and medication, but would it just be torture for her? we love her and can't get rid of her, but I would hate to keep her upset!

Please help with and suggestions and advice you may have! Thank you!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hi Ian... sounds as though she has answered for you..

Having said that, have you tried some mentally stimulating games? They can help exhaust a dog sometimes as much as physical exertion :lol:

A good starter one is one of those dog 'balls' that you put treats inside, which the dog then has to roll around to get the treats out... give it a try and see if it helps :023:
  4. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Azz and CaroleC like this.
    A Mentally and physically tired pup is a happy pup.

Sounds like longer walks and more exercise is needed, along with as AZZ said mentally stimulating games.

Most dogs can be happy no matter the setting, but apartments do mean more from the owners part.

Best wishes in the matter.
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz likes this.
    Being a street dog might be reason she's carving more time outside.
    Thunder shirts might help with thunderstorms - I use them for bonfire night.
  6. inspiredbynature

inspiredbynature New Member

Name:
    Rob
    Azz likes this.
    As said already by another member indoor games can burn off the energy too. My lil lady brings her bumper to me constantly to play. A 10 minute session of fetch and she's good for another hour. I live in the country and she gets out to bird too. But always good to burn off the energy every way you can .... they have a lot of it!

Games could be your tool too to overcome the thunder fear. During a storm coax the dog to play. At first it may take time but the more regular play time I'm sure the excitement of play will over ride the fear of Thunder. The end goal is that the dog begins to associate the sound of Thunder as a good thing meaning play time.
  7. gspruger

gspruger New Member

Name:
    Heather
    When she gets scared by the thunder you don't want to give her a bunch of attention because that feeds the fear. She'll think its ok to be scared of the thunder and that its a good thing. When thee storms are going on if theres any moment where she calms down at all thats when you want to reward here. And I don't mean ignore her completely when it storms just don't praise the behavior because that'll just make it worse. (A show that has helped us a lot when we get into situations s Cesar 911, he's addressed many issues that we've had and one was fear, and another was a high energy dog in an apartment so I recommend checking those out :))