Bull/Mastiff/Molosser Discussions

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by Mahooli, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky

Bull/Mastiff/Molosser

OK so what breeds would fit under each title as it appears that some bull breeds are molossers but not all molossers are bull breeds?
    Becky
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    my bordeaux is a molosser as shes a mastiff,but im not sure if shes a bull breed but i no shes related to the english bull dog.
    i nowot you mean,it is very confusing.
    im not meaning to sound 'breed specif' but with all this oit bull hype id rather trin wasnt classed as a bull breed if she is
  4. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Molosser is a name for a group comprising several breeds of large, solidly-built dogs, probably all descended from the same root stock. The name derives from Molossia, a country once located in Western Greece. Most Bull breeds are considered to be a 'Molosser' the Dogue De Bordeaux is considered to be a 'Bully' breed although it also falls into the 'Mastiff' family of dog breeds. I also own one of these beauties although shes really still only a baby :D
  5. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    did you say you own a bordeaux?! finally someone who appreciates this beautiful and sumwot stuborn breed of dog.
    my trin is only 11months,plenty of growing to do yet.
    i thought they were part of the bull breed,i had my books out earlier to take a look.
    you oviously no wot ur talking about. im relatively new 2the mastiffs although i did my research on the bordeaux b4 getting trin. they are not 4everyone
  6. Berger

Berger New Member

Name:
    Nic
    My dog Ivan is a Leonberger and is part of the Mollossid group
  7. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Yes I own a Bordeaux called Rheeta shes nine months old now, how time flys :D

Here she is as a younger pup, she's not changed that much, apart from getting much bigger :D

[​IMG]
  8. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    bless,trin looks like that only 'alot' bigger.
    the giant drewell bag is 46kg already!
    shes huge,about the same size as a large rotti only bigger framed.
    i luv my baby girl.
    wre considering getting a northern inuit as a companion 4her
  9. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I used to groom, if you could call it that, a beautilful male Dogue called Mowgli, he died of a heart attack at just 4 years old but he was a credit to his breed, the most gentle large breed of dog I've handled (unlike the St Bernard who slammed me against the bath lol!)
    Becky
  10. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    oh wot a shame,he was only 4!? trin is a gentle giant,she can be abit weary of strangers but if you've got a dog with you she will want to come and say hello.
    we bumped in2 a poodle the other week when walking her in the park with my boys,it was off the lead and i couldnt c the owner,i had trin off the lead and didnt c the poodle,he was micro,trin went up 2this tiny (in comparison) dog b4 i realised he was there and gave the dog a 'kiss',she coated it in slobber,the little lad took quite a shineing to trin.
    then the owner came out of nowhere and appoligised,but i felt i had to say sorry to her as 'pops'(that was his name) had a bath from trin.
    i wish i had my camera,it was so sweat these to dogs so different in everyway but the best of friends after one meating.
    since then we've seen pops afew times and trin loves him.
    wouldnt they make interesting pups!? umm,i dont think,lol
  11. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I was gutted when I found out he'd died, one of the few breeds I'd have if I decided on a big dog again.
    Becky
  12. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    big drewlling stubborn and full of there own self importance,thats a bordeaux,and there the qualitys that get you hooked.they are abit like marmite,you either love or hate em.
    not a dog 4everyone but deffinatly a dog 4me
  13. wendy taylor

wendy taylor New Member

Name:
    WENDY
    My six Mastiffs are Mollossers,no idea on how to post pics,but brace yourselves for I will be practising and bending your ears about them
    Wendy
  14. Hevvur

Hevvur New Member

Name:
    Heather
    Believe it or not, the term 'Molosser' doesn't just cover 'large, solidly-built dogs'.
    There are 3 different groups of Molosser breeds, which actually includes smaller dogs, such as the pug and French Bulldog, and even Afghan Hounds, Malamutes, Akitas, Beagles, and the very popular Border Collie!

The 3 classifications are;
    1st Group: Molossers that are bred true to original mountain type, regardless of the age and country of their origin.

2nd Group: Molossers that are not bred true to mountain type, regardless of the age and country of their origin. These are the Molossers that are a product of both breeding away from the Mountain type and crossing Molosser breeds with non-Molosser breeds, resulting in the various Bull breeds, Hounds, Guardians etc...

3rd Group: This is the so-called Molossov Coctail category. These breeds are either directly linked to the 1st and 2nd Molosser Group, but bred away from common type, such as the bearded shepherds, or they are considered to be non-Molossers, but have the Molosser blood running through their veins. Again, this is not related to the ages and countries of their origin.
  15. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    i haven't figure how 2post pics yet either,wen i do i will open a thread all about mastiffs and there pics:mrgreen:
    wow,you have 6 mastiffs:shock: ,you brave girl:grin:
  16. wendy taylor

wendy taylor New Member

Name:
    WENDY
    okay figured it out,you need to join photobucket.com very easy,which is always good hahaha,
    uuuuummm not brave insane,
    oh yes go to mollosser head shots and you will see three of my gang
    Wendy
  17. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I can't wait to see the piccies lol!
    Becky
  18. wendy taylor

wendy taylor New Member

Name:
    WENDY
  19. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Gorgeous pics, I love that brindle male, what are all their names?
    Becky
  20. wendy taylor

wendy taylor New Member

Name:
    WENDY
    Thank you Becky for kind words about my gang,the big apricot is Beau,the brindle you like is Blake,and the two pups are Mellow and Magnus,
    Wendy
  21. Stamford

Stamford New Member

Name:
    Steve
    Wendy those are some fine looking dogs you have there.