Bobtail Boxers - don't call them that! General Chat

Discussion in 'Boxer' started by IsoChick, Jun 13, 2008.

1. IsoChick

IsoChick New Member

Name:
    Shelley

Bobtail Boxers - don't call them that!

I was told off (twice in a week) for calling a Bobtail Boxer a Bobtail Boxer...

Apparantly I should refer to them as "naturally docked" :?

Surely this gives a false impression - how can something be "naturally" docked?

:?:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    Did a breeder tell you off?
  4. Fred&Mya'smum

Fred&Mya'smum New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    definitely a false impression...
    I thought bobtails were longer than a docked tail anyway?
    Off to look at some pics to check I'm making sense :blush: :lol:
  5. IsoChick

IsoChick New Member

Name:
    Shelley
    An owner of a "bobtail" pup, and a boxer breeder (tho' they don't breed bobtails) :?
  6. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    I know someone that has Aussie Shepherds and she calls hers natural bobtails...no wonder we get confused :?
  7. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    I wonder what bobtail breeders call them :?
  8. KateM

KateM New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Well, I don't have boxers, but i do have a breed that is born with a naturally bobbed tail.

I would never refer to them as naturally docked, or in fact mention the word docked at all as this will probably only lead to problems!!

I refer to mine as natural stump tails, or natural bob tailed.
  9. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    The guy who created them, Dr. Cattanach, calls them bob-tailed boxers and he also refers to their tails as 'naturally docked'.
  10. IsoChick

IsoChick New Member

Name:
    Shelley
    That's what I'm not sure about....

Found a breeder online in Lincolnshire who refers to her litters as bobtail...
  11. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    The words “naturally docked” seems a contrary phrase. One could argue that a dock achieved with a band would be naturally docked as no medical procedure has taken place but is illegal (well it is in dogs) and I can't understand how, in these anti docking times, anyone with a dog born with a short bob tail would wish to call in naturally docked, but suppose it is their dog so they will call it what they like even if it adds to the confusion of the GP.
  12. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Very strange :?

I call them Bobs and I'm sure Bruce Cattanagh (who created them) calls them the same with no issues about it !

A dog cannot be 'naturally docked' !! It's either docked or it isn't !
  13. zoeybeau1

zoeybeau1

Name:
    Toni
    Yes you are right Malday..:?
  14. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    I had an Australian Shepherd cross he had a bobtail like his Mum, we always called it a bobtail.
    like Malady says they are either docked or not docked.
  15. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

I own an Aussie and would say that the majority of breeders/owners would call them natural bobtails (or NBT's if you are bring lazy :lol: ).

Docking is nothing to do with a natural bob therefore it is a complete misnomer.
  16. cambkite

cambkite New Member

Name:
    Eddie
    Naturally chopped off tail! Mmmmmm. No, doesn't seem to fit somehow. The only way you could possibly accept the term "Naturally docked" is if you accept that Man is a product of nature and that everything he does is, therefore, natural. Reasonably speaking, I think bobtail is most acceptable.
    I don't think, in the short time I've had Brittanys, that I've heard of a natural dock.
    Anybody who criticises you for calling your dog a bobtail should be advised to refrain from self abuse.
  17. Boxacrazy

Boxacrazy New Member

Name:
    Boxacrazy
    I call mine Boxer that has a naturally short tail a Bob tail.

Her litter sister with a naturally long tail is a Boxer but they both have a dad that has a bob tail that is a Boxer...and their mum who is a Boxer with a docked tail...

:grin:

I do have a letter from the vet to say that my bob tail girl was born that way so that if ever I get asked at the shows I can provide evidence that she is naturally that way.

naturally short tails do have varying lengths, from almost a 1/3 weimeraner/gun dog length to that of almost a rottweiler stump. The one that I have is just slightly shorter than that of a normally docked version of a Boxer,
    her litter brother had a slightly longer bob tail but not as long as 1/3rd length.

Hope that makes sense? :)
  18. elaineb

elaineb New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Docking is not pc anymore (and rightly so) Our Jake was docked but he was 12yrs when he died. the breeder docked the tails before we saw the litter.
  19. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    12 yrs ago, it would have been difficult to get a Boxer with a tail, it has only been just over 12 mths since the new law has been brought in. A bobtail is a bobtail... it is a contradiction in terms to say they are naturally docked... docked is docked, how can it be natural:?
  20. Angel20

Angel20 New Member

Name:
    Abi
    I have a bobtail boxer and that is what we call our bobtail puppies that have just been born. They are technically called bobtails, naturally docked is the description of a bobtail! x
  21. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Good post.