Biting claws Behaviour

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Malka, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Biting claws

Pereg has been nibbling at one claw on on of her hind feet for a week or so. She always stops when I tell her and is not licking it - just nibbling at the one claw.

As she has not been able to go out for a long walk for the last few months, and her walks are mainly [unfortunately] road walks/gallops, I can only think that she decided that one claw is too long, even though Ram checked them all when we last went three months ago and all claws were OK and nowhere near over-grown enough for him to clip them.

Anyhow, that particular claw is now down to the length she decided was right, so maybe she will start on another now? I do have proper claw clippers but even though she will let Ram or one of the vet nurses clip her claws, she will not let me, and I am not going to upset her by trying to do something she does not want me to do.

I must add that none of her claws is/are over-grown - she just decided that this particular one was.

It does not seem to be a habit or an [I cannot think of the word] - occupational thing because she is bored - she definitely wanted that claw to be shorter.

Should I just ignore it if she starts on another claw?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    For about the last two years Tweed has nibbled her dewclaws down, sometimes quite short, but not till they become sensitive. She usually does it when we are watching TV, so it could be boredom in her case. I wish she'd do them all and save me a job!
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    It is not her dewclaws Carole - the one she has nibbled down is the second from the outer one on one of her back claws. She did not chew it, she did not lick it, she just nibbled at it.

I think she has decided that it is the correct length now so maybe she will start on another one? She is not due for another vet visit until November, unless a disaster happens, and hopefully I will be able to take her out maybe Sunday if the ceasefire holds.

The Silver Monster is currently on charge in the hopes that we will finally be able to get out. It has been such a long time since we could...
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    My vets did say if claws get cracked then dogs will nibble them to get rid of the sharp or sticking out bits, Zeus & Ziva both nibble suck on their claws.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @6JRT's - Tina, that claw was not cracked she obviously thought it was a bit too long. Who knows what goes on in her head?

I am waiting to see if she now starts on another claw - but I have checked, as best I can, and none seem to be over-grown even though she has not been out for what seems like a lifetime.

But as long as it does not seem to be a habit and/or a boredom thing, I guess I should just leave her to do what she wants.

I think.
  7. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    There's not a grass seed or anything else stuck there Malka?

Have you tried bathing in salt water just in case something is irritating her?
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @Azz - there is nothing there - nothing stuck between her toes/claws - and nothing irritating her.

She just seemed to think that that particular claw was too long so she nibbled at it, but as I am sure you can imagine I am ultra on seizure-watch at the moment and I was not sure whether it was a distraction on her part from the sirens and boom booms. Does not seem to be as apart from when it had really gotten bad, she just ignored everything.

She is quite happy for me to check her toes/claws/ears/mouth/everything - but she will not let me clip her nails if I think they are a bit long, although [of course] she lets Ram do anything and everything he wants! Little hussy! :D

I think my best thing is to just ignore it, but as you can imagine, I am very on edge regarding her and any noises/movements she makes.
  9. manydogz

manydogz Member

Name:
    manydogz (Debra)
    @Malka Two of my dogs nibble at their nails. Especially if I don't cut them to their satisfaction.....and I have no idea what that is. Since they are not doing themselves any harm I leave it alone.