Bitch not in season as yet and she is now 1 year old. Behaviour

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by JohnAC, Jul 17, 2024.

1. JohnAC

JohnAC New Member

Name:
    John

Bitch not in season as yet and she is now 1 year old.

Border Collie Bitch not in season as yet and she is now 1 year old.

Is this unusual?

She is quite small and weighs 15kg.

I never got her till she was 14 weeks old and she was very timid, hiding all the time in the house.

Not a great eater either but she seems to get by on the little she does eat.

Taken quite a while but she is a lot better than she was but can still get stressed out at times.

Contrary to what the breeder told me I don't think she had any socialization with people/dogs when I got her.

Could these problems have any bearing on her not coming on heat yet?

Cheers, John.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    JohnAC and Toedtoes like this.
    It isn't uncommon for a bitch being late in having her first season - especially as she is small for her breed. In humans bodyweight is closely related to female fertility. However, it might be worth having a vet check her condition. She will be due for her one year booster in the next couple of months and if she hasn't come on by then, it might be a good time to mention it. She is probably better being too slim than too fat at this age, but you could ask his/her opinion on her body-mass and weight too.
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    JohnAC likes this.
    I agree with all the above. Worth mentioning it at her next vet appointment. The vet can look her over and make sure there is no medical reason for the delay.
  5. cooperdog

cooperdog New Member

Name:
    Jez
    I’m not an expert, but I’ve heard stress can affect a dog’s cycle. Maybe focus on reducing her anxiety? Consistent routines and gentle exposure to new things might help. Just a thought!