Bichons - Questions on health Health

Discussion in 'Bichon Frise' started by xrr, Feb 18, 2008.

1. xrr

xrr New Member

Name:
    bo

Bichons - Questions on health

Yet another topic on the gorgeous Bichon Frise!
    What illnesses is the bichon frise prone too? How long will he live for? and anything else you can tell me about the breed
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. sueanncooper

sueanncooper New Member

Name:
    Suzie
    Hi. I'm new to dogsey and new to owning a Bichon, but I have a book that I think you might really like. It's called
    "The Bichon Frise" written by Lexiann Grant and Wayne Hunthausen. The publisher is Terra-Nova. I read this entire book (207 pages) before I got my puppy and I'm so glad that I did. It goes through everything that you will need to know: feeding, training, health, etc. I highly recommend it.

The book indicates that besides the normal dog health problems (worms, dental disease and fleas and ticks) that Bichons have issues with skin allergies, food allergies, luxating patellas (knee cap problems), otitis (ear infections) and hip displaysia. In fact reputable breeders will have their sires and dams x-rayed for hip problems at 2-years old to ensure proper hip functioning prior to breeding.
  4. dan

dan New Member

Name:
    Dan
    Both of my Bichons were relatively healthy but my Benson did have trouble with his ears alot and went under an anaethetic to have them deep cleaned! They both lived 12 years but I unfortunately lost Benson 8 years ago and Ollie 4 years ago.
    Wonderful dogs to have with kids, I had Ben from a pup and he grew up with my daughter and dear Ollie we rescued. The only trouble is that they think they are kids!
    Enjoy your Bichon! By the way what is his or her name? :)
  5. sueanncooper

sueanncooper New Member

Name:
    Suzie
    My puppy is named Ralphie. I have some cute pictures but I can't figure out how to post them. Help?
  6. buzzie

buzzie New Member

Name:
    Joan
    When I think of Bichon and health, eye problems are the first thing that come to mind.
  7. buzzie

buzzie New Member

Name:
    Joan
    Hi Sue Ann, if you saved your pictures to your computer then upload them to photobucket (seems to me to be the easiest way) If you don't have an account there, it is free and only takes a minute to register. Once you have uploaded the pics you want, go to the last code under the picture (img) and click on it and that will automatically copy it for you. Then go back to the forum and put your cursor where you would like the picture and then paste( on your keyboard Ctrl and v) Hope this helps Joan
  8. bichon1

bichon1 New Member

Name:
    pATRICIA
    Hi there I have 3 bichon boys and what a handful my little fluffs can be. So far so good I have had no health problems and my eldest boy is 5 next month and the 2 younger boys were 3 in January. Bichons can live to the grand old age of 15/16.
    The are a fantastic breed loving and cuddly the downside they do not like to be left alone they really are a people dog
  9. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    I think Bichons are mainly prone to Luxating Patella (slipping knee cap), but apparently heart problems are starting to creep in so always a good idea to get the pup heart checked at the vet (not sure if parents should be heart tested as well as I don't really know if it's a significant problem in the breed?).

They're generally a long lived breed, usually reaching their mid teens, dental problems have been highlighted however so it's best to brush the dogs teeth as you'll end up with some hefty vets bills! :shock:
  10. bichon1

bichon1 New Member

Name:
    pATRICIA
    Skin problems are also creeping in with the Bichon.
  11. CheekyChihuahua

CheekyChihuahua

Name:
    n/a
    My Bichon died at fourteen. The only health problems she ever had was fatty lumps that came up on her body, which had to be removed (twice). They were not cancerous and did not cause her any pain. She eventually died at fourteen after a short illness - poor old girl. She had an excellent temperament. After she died, I vowed not to have another Bichon, in case it did not come up to Holly's standard for temperament with the kids, etc., so it wouldn't have been fair to have another. I always advise people that Bichons are a fantastic breed. Marvellous with children!