Bichon Frise Discussions

Discussion in 'Bichon Frise' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Discussion Thread

Discussion Thread New Member

Bichon Frise

Bichon Frise
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Snippets

Snippets New Member

The Bichon Frise's exact origins are unknown. He is known to have taken the aristocracy of Europe by storm upon his arrival there in the 1300s. Coming from the Canary Islands, the Bichon Frise was first called the Bichon Tenerife. Upon his recognition by the kennel club of France as a purebred breed in the 1930s, the Bichon Tenerife's name was changed to Bichon Frise meaning "curly-coated lap dog". Bred to be a companion and pet, the Bichon Frise fits well into both city and country life.

The Bichon stands no more than 12 inches tall at the shoulder. He has large dark eyes and a black button nose. He has been called an "animated powder puff". His coat is thick and curly and usually solid white although he may have buff, apricot, or cream coloured shadings. The Bichon does need regular grooming, and must be completely dried after bathing to keep his coat tangle-free. However, his coat is considered to be non-shedding, non-allergenic, and odourless!

With a cheerful, friendly, and affectionate personality, the Bichon makes a wonderful family pet. He is playful, eager to please, and loves being the centre of attention. Many Bichons have been happily employed in the circus performing tricks! The Bichon gets along well with other household pets and is active enough to romp with the children! He also makes a fine companion for the elderly or disabled as most of his exercise needs can be met by playing around the house or garden.

A good watchdog, the Bichon Frise will alert his people to any unfamiliar faces. He takes well to obedience training and should start both training and socialization early. As a very sociable animal, the Bichon loves to get out and about and enjoys regular walks.
  4. Snippets

Snippets New Member

Here is my Misty - My World!

[​IMG]
  5. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Aww, cute face :)
  6. Naomi

Naomi New Member

Name:
    Naomi
    The lady opposite me had one of them. His name was Rambo, he was such a lovely boy. Loved the kids but barked at everybody else.

She does a lovely face Snippets!
  7. Kimbles

Kimbles New Member

Name:
    Kimberley
    [​IMG]

this is my bonnie, a 7 yr old very lazy bichon frise,, she is a total cuddle monster x x x x

[​IMG]

as you can see she is a pet,, not a show dog :lol: :grin:
  8. Foxy

Foxy

Name:
    F
    Here is Benji the Bichon :grin: :grin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Benji and his cousin norty Toby

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and Benji the puppy at 16 weeks old

[​IMG]
  9. deefin

deefin New Member

Name:
    diane
    awww they are so pretty ... little cute fluff balls lol
  10. Kimbles

Kimbles New Member

Name:
    Kimberley
    :grin:
    i love this pic of benji foxy!! :grin:

arent bichons so so tiny when they are pups :shock: bonnie was really small and fluffy, not sure what happened lol :lol:
  11. Foxy

Foxy

Name:
    F

No I'm not sure what happened either :roll: He must be a big Bichon because he weighs just over 10 kg and they are only meant to weigh about up to 7kg aren't they? The vet says he isn't overweight though, just a big boy :grin: :grin:

Do you find that Bonnie gets a sweaty dog kind of smell about her after about a week after being bathed because Benji does. :roll: How often does Bonnie have a bath Kimberley :)
  12. Kimbles

Kimbles New Member

Name:
    Kimberley
    he does look quite big,, bonnie is not as tall as benji,, and yes she does get thw sweaty dog smell lol :lol:

i try to bath her every 4-6 weeks dependig on wat season it is when she is frontlined every 4 weeks we bath her every 4 weeks and when she frontlined every 6 weeks in the colder months we bath her every 6 weeks.

:shock: and what a task and a half that is :shock: :lol:
  13. Foxy

Foxy

Name:
    F

I only frontline Benji about every three to four months all the year round. I have started bathing him about every two weeks though because he gets really ratty looking and dirty and smells like an old sock :lol: :lol:
    And he absolutely HATES being bathed and I usually get just as wet as him :shock: :shock: :shock: He is going to the groomers on Tuesday so I will post a piccy when he is all nice and clean again :grin:
  14. Chow

Chow New Member

Name:
    Shirley
    Bishon Bee Bee pinching Lings dinner.
    [​IMG]

Chow
  15. Foxy

Foxy

Name:
    F
    Aww thats a lovely picture Chow :smt049 :smt049 :smt049 - although I must say Ling doesn't look impressed :lol: :lol: :lol: He looks like he is appealing for help to stop her nicking his dinner - cheeky monkeys these Bichons, think they can get away with anything :roll:

Is the Bichon yours and have you any more pictures showing her face I would love to see them :grin: :grin: :grin:
  16. maplecottage

maplecottage New Member

Agreed, that's a great photo Chow :lol:

Poor old Ling didn't even notice what was happening till it was too late!
  17. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Aw they're very cute looking dogs, like little polar bear cubs.
    Lovely pics everyone.
    :grin:
  18. Chow

Chow New Member

Name:
    Shirley
    Bee Bee isn't mine.
    She belonged to my friend.
    My black chow thought Bee Bee was his mum.
    They are little cheeky dogs.Lots of fun.Bee Bee would nick things out of Changs mouth and he didn't bother.
    I will find pictures and post them.

Chow
  19. nichola

nichola New Member

Name:
    nichola
    Snippets your wee one is so cute, I see your from Glasgow me to. I take it you are the famous groomer then.
  20. Chow

Chow New Member

Name:
    Shirley
    Here is Bee Bee.Now you can see her face.also a picture of Mia the bichon they now have.
    Bee Bee
    [​IMG]
    Mia
    [​IMG]
    Hope you like.

Chow
  21. Foxy

Foxy

Name:
    F
    Aww what beautiful little Bichons Bee-Bee and Mia are - they put my Benji to shame - he looks like something thats been dragged round a bush backwards (that might have something to do with me giving him a little trim last week though ;-) ;-) )