Bichon frise coat care Grooming

Discussion in 'Bichon Frise' started by pam2, Apr 14, 2008.

1. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam

Bichon frise coat care

Can anyone help with the coat care of a Bichon Frise, my sister needs help with her rescue bichon.
    She has had to get him clipped his coat was so bad but hopes to grow it back and wants to know the best way to care for it.
    He looks a bit baldy in places the poor thing,and his face is a bit stained but otherwise he is a lovely wee dog.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    hiya my dog is half bichon and half westie so im not sure what coat he has, reguards the tear stains i vut them off of my dogs face (be careful!) and i clean his eyes every monring and they havent come back for months now, i did by some tear stain stuff but it didnt work!
  4. zoby

zoby New Member

Name:
    ma
    firstly - well done to your sis for rescuing a bichon :grin: i wasnt prepared for how fantastic a breed the bichon is and i'm sure you will all fall in love with this little fella :lol:

with regards his coat, if he has been clipped very tight it will make life a lot easier. I get Princess cut in a puppy trim every 8(ish) week and find that she only needs a good brush through once a week to keep her mat free. Of course if your sister wants to go for a longer coat then that will mean more frequent brushing. I use a comb and a slicker brush - both of which i have used since day one. It took Princess a bit of persuasion to get used to being handled, now she has a snooze only waking up at the end for a treat :lol: if you can get him used to the brushes and have it as a relaxing time then it wont be a chore for either of you.

The tear staining is a bit hit and miss i find. Food will have an influence as will drinking water and also i have discovered that Princess is stain free all summer but not during the winter :?:

i would love to see a pic of him as we are a bit bichon short here :lol: :lol: :lol:
  5. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam
    Thanks Zoby, my sister had been using a comb on him but it didn't go through his fur, she has bought a slicker brush and he doesn't seem to mind it at all. He is a good wee soul and is being spoiled rotten!!
    Will try and get you a picture.