Bernese Mountain Dog Puppy Check Questions

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog' started by Classic13, Sep 4, 2024.

1. Classic13

Classic13 New Member

Name:
    Kay

Bernese Mountain Dog Puppy Check

Hi,

Looking for any help doing an OFA certification check on some parents of a puppy litter.

The breeder is Sandy Lane Bernese in Ontario and the parents are Alder and Fir.

I want to ensure im getting a healthy puppy and read online that OFA Checks for Hips, Elbow, heart and eyes need to be done on the parents to ensure no genetic traits are passed down to the pups.

I am not sure if im doing an incorrect search as I cannot find Alder and Fir from Sandy lanes on the OFA website. Is anyone able to help guide me or send me a link to the parents?
    The breeder also doesnt do OFA for eyes, is this fine or should I be looking for a different breeder?

Thanks for your time and any help with this!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    Sorry, I don't think we have any regular contributors from Canada. I think you would be better to contact your National Bernese Mountain Dog Club for advice. Https://bmdcc.ca
    or The Canadian Kennel Club
    Https://www.ckc.ca
    I notice that you have just missed the BMDCC show at Dorchester, Ontario. It was on August 24 th! Club shows are a good place to meet breeders in person.
    Best wishes, you are right to choose health tested stock.
  4. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hi do you have the full registered name of Alder & Fir ?
    I have just looked on Bernergarde and there are several in the name of Alder not looked for Fir yet.

I'm not sure of the ages of the dogs you are talking about. It might be worth also checking if they are OCD free after having issues with this problem last year I would highly recommend looking into it.
    Its name is Osteocrondrosis Dissecans. Can be hereditary.