Anyone else have a sitting greyhound? Questions

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by dizzi, Sep 10, 2011.

1. dizzi

dizzi New Member

Name:
    anon

Anyone else have a sitting greyhound?

Just as a matter of curiosity. I know that the gangly legs make sitting hounds quite rare, and in training class we've worked out a compromise where we settle for a "watch me" when sits are being asked for from the others - but since Nancy seems to spend half her life sitting through choice (where lots of other dogs would just go straight for a lying down she doesn't seem to and goes firmly for a bottom plonk), figured I'd start putting the command to it anyway.

Didn't really need to - she's cottoned on that when I ask Layton to sit it usually means he's going to get a treat and decided on her own to muscle in on some of that action - so when I get the dog treats out I get the pair of them, one with added doleful eyes and a grin like "look at me I'm doing a sit like that slobbery thing is - gimmmmmeeeee!"
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. cravencraven

cravencraven New Member

Name:
    fiona
    I had a Lurcher that never sat,he was either laid down or stood up.but never sitting.:lol:
  4. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    She sounds a character! Axel sits for very short periods, he'll lie down within a few seconds normally, it's just not comfortable. I have a theory that smaller Greys sit more than bigger, but that could be nonsense!
    We're working on sitting on command, but it's hit and miss at the moment.
  5. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Oooh for a second there I misread the title and thought you'd missed an 'h' :blush:
  6. 2Greys

2Greys New Member

Name:
    G
    Nancy sounds a little star :grin:

None of my dogs have chosen to sit for very long on their own, so i tend to only ask for a quick sit and do down-stay's etc instead. Throp was easy to teach on command as he'd do brief sits himself. Hector eventually picked it up off Throp, before his only sit was more a movement between standing & laying. Hattie on rare occasions briefly sits but i've yet to train her to do it on command.

Throp
    [​IMG]
    Hector
    [​IMG]
  7. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    Neither of mine can sit unaided. Kyiro will occasionally sit for a very short period on a chair where he can lean and have something to support him and lean on, but otherwise they stand or lay.
  8. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    Guinness can't sit unless I put him into the sit position. But he will sit on the sofa whilst leaning on the back of the sofa!!:mrgreen:
  9. dizzi

dizzi New Member

Name:
    anon
    I do appear to have created a monster. Now she's made the connection between "sit" and "nice things" she seems to think that every time I've got something she wants, if she sits she's entitled to it.

No Nancy, your bottom on the floor does not in fact mean you're getting my bacon sarnie!
  10. Tass

Tass New Member

Name:
    Tass
    I have known a number of ex track greyhounds who have reliably sat on command.

As many greys are ex RGT and RGT seem to tell people they can't sit, I think it often becomes a self fulfilling prophesy and people don't bother to teach it thereby proving they don't/can't.:)

Racing greys are not required to sit in their work, whereas with pets it is often the first thing people teach, so it can be more difficult to teach to an adult dog unaccustomed to doing it than to a young puppy.