Any Samoyed owners around? Questions

Discussion in 'Samoyed' started by TabithaJ, Jun 16, 2011.

1. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Any Samoyed owners around?

The Samoyed is at the top of my list for a second dog; it won't be for another year but I'm doing lots of reading up now.

If anyone here has or has ever had a Samoyed, just wondering if you can give me any info about what they are like to live with etc? I realise one can't totally generalise about an entire breed, but any info would be of great interest - cheers :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    I have had my beautiful Selkie angel for 14 years:) I can't imagine my life without her.
    [​IMG]
    Pros
    Very child friendly (although I have heard males can be more wary)
    outgoing and confident
    intelligent
    happy
    beautiful (its like walking a filmstar the amount of people that want their photo taken with her)
    always so funny

Cons
    the hair! OMG you cannot be prepared for the hair!
    poopy puppy... and with all that white fur when I wasn't washing the carpets I was washing her[​IMG]
    Stubborn Selkie does not do what Selkie will not do
    Digging
    Rolling
    Mud
    washing and grooming because of the digging, rolling and mud
    Grooming a Samoyed is like painting the forth Bridge, you are never done.
    noisy samoyeds have a voice designed to travel across the snow and they travel straight through walls.. My neighbours have recently barred Selkie from my house when I'm not there, she sings the whole time I am out. [​IMG]

Selkie has been off lead all her life and bar a tricky patch when she was about 2 she has always had 100% recall. She loves children. She will do anything to get to them. The only time I ever lost her on a walk I found her in the play area messing about with the kids, fortunately all the parents were very understanding and she's such a snow angel they hadn't been scared. [/IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    What a beauty!!!

Lovely pics and thank you so much for all that info, much appreciated :)

I grew up with a Rough Collie so am somewhat used to long haired dogs. And temperament wise, sounds not so dissimilar to Labs....? I have a Lab already so am well used to friendly, lively dogs :)

My Lab adores kids too - just like your Samoyed!

Thanks once again; gorgeous pics!
  5. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    Its not the long hair thats the issue.. its the double coat... If you get to meet one really get your hands into that coat... Under the long hair is a thick layer of wool that needs to be regularly stripped out and 'blows' all drops off at once once a year.

This was last weeks bigs strip, this pile is just her back leg and halfway along her back... will get the same amount again out of her mane and probably twice over to strip the rest of her!
    [​IMG]
  6. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Ah... I see what you mean!!

Thanks for that warning!!

By the way - I LOVE the disclaimer at the bottom of your signature - fab! LOL, made me chuckle :)
  7. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Get a Sammy..you won't regret it..Seiko loved and lived with us for 8 years and he was just the best..
  8. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

They do look like such sweet, mischevious dogs :)

I intend to try and actually spend some time with some in the next year just to make sure it's the right choice. There is a guy who lives near me who has THE most huge and stunning Samoyed so I may have to start stalking them...:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  9. Kiing

Kiing New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Haven't ever owned a Samoyed, but there is a young bitch around here that I see quite regularly. She's a great dog, loves every person and dog she meets and has a very funny personality. She can be fairly vocal when she wants to, does things on her own terms and is currently blowing her coat - I've never seen anything quite like it. :lol:

She's a brilliant dog, she's certainly made me consider a Samoyed as a future dog.
  10. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    You can see pics of my boy here

http://wintaicesleddogs.weebly.com/gallery.html
  11. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Gorgeous!!!

All your dogs are beautiful, the Samoyed is of special interest to me of course - gorgeous!!!!

LOL
    - love the pic where he's lying down on the grass, his tongue hanging out, really looks like he's laughing!!! Adorable!
    Thanks so much!