Any help identifying this breed? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Steve Williams, Jun 21, 2024.

1. Steve Williams

Steve Williams New Member

Name:
    Steve

Any help identifying this breed?

Please help if you can. Any clue as to what breed/mix this little guy is?

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Tone likes this.
    It can be really difficult to identify a mixed breed accurately just by looks.

A dna test can give the most accurate results.

When trying to determine based on observation, you have to consider the region where the dog is from as different breeds are more common in some states/countries/regions than others. You also have to consider the dog's personality as well as physical traits. Last but not least, you have to realize that just because a dog "looks" like a certain breed, doesn't mean he has any of that breed in him. It could simply be that two or more other breeds combined to get that appearance that looks "obviously this breed".

My Moose-dog, and his littermates, was thought to be a shepherd-rottie cross as a puppy. When he grew up, he was "obviously" shepherd and dobie. His dna showed he was shepherd, poodle and newfie. The poodle and shepherd combined to give him a dobie look and the newfie gave him a white stripe down his chest that didn't fit with a shepherd-dobie mix.

So, with all that and not knowing where you are located, I would guess there is cattle dog and terrier in there. Maybe shepherd - in the states, shepherd is still the number one mixed-breed breed (poodle is at the top for small dogs, but chihuahua is edging them out).

The eye color lends to the cattle dog - moreso than a husky blue eye in my opinion but there could be husky. The coat texture looks fairly terrier.

It's difficult to tell if the coat coloring is more of a merle or ticking. If merle, then it may more likely be aussie or border collie than cattle dog. If ticking, then the cattle dog is more likely.

There could be schnauzer or doxie in there - that could account for the coat texture and maybe some of the coloring.

Whatever he is, he is adorable! I suspect he's quite clever and charming.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    I can't spot which country Steve W. is in. If he is in the UK, (or another country), the choice of potential breeds could be quite different. I would certainly go for a dna test - the basic 'which breed' one from Wisdom Panel is not very expensive.
    If you do decide to go ahead, do please come back and let us know the results.
  5. cooperdog

cooperdog New Member

Name:
    Jez
    looks like a cattle dog mix to me. the coat pattern and eye color are pretty typical. maybe some terrier in there too, judging by the fur texture. cute pup tho!
  6. dianeburms

dianeburms New Member

Name:
    diane
    Is it just me? It seems like EVERYONE these days is talking about their new "springador", "sprocker", "cockerpoo" or whatever. I'm not particular bothered about these mixes, as long as they're bred well and are healthy, but what's with the obsession all of a sudden??
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    They're "designer" dogs. Unscrupulous people are breeding these cross/mixed breeds and giving them combined names to fetch a price tag.

Back in the early 70s, my mom did rescue work. One of the ladies in her group used to make up these "exotic breeds" for the mixes that came through the system - and people fell for it. They happily adopted a "rare german husky" when they wouldn't have considered a shepherd/husky mix. IMO, that was fine as it got dogs adopted.

But now, these mutts are being sold for profit as some new breed. And that, to me, is absolutely unethical and scummy.

Whenever someone uses one of these names, I always ask "what's that?" When they tell me the different breeds, I say "oh you have a mutt".

I call Tornado-dog my "giant jack russell terrier", but will point out that he is a mutt who got a JRT brain.

Look at celebrity talk. Every couple is given a combined name to create impact. Think Bennifer, Billary, Kimye, Brangelina, etc. These dogs are nothing more than that. A dime a dozen with no meaning behind them.

The doodles started the craze with dogs. People still pay big bucks for a labradoodle that is just a cross breed and that there is no guarantee what traits the dog will get. Many people get them because they are " hypo-allergenic" but: 1) there is no such thing; and 2) there is no guarantee your puppy will have poodle fur or lab fur or something inbetween.