Alaskan Malamute crosses General Chat

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by flow-wolf, Oct 21, 2006.

1. flow-wolf

flow-wolf New Member

Name:
    jools

Alaskan Malamute crosses

Whilst looking for a new malamute pup I came across this cross which was advertised as a Malarottie :x

Alaskan Malamute - x - Rottweiler :shock:

The advert is on the Epupz website - www.epupz.co.uk in the Alaskan Malamute section.

They'll cross a dog with anything at the moment just to sell!! Pathetic!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. flow-wolf

flow-wolf New Member

Name:
    jools
    Sorry,advert is on the Epupz website..
  4. flow-wolf

flow-wolf New Member

Name:
    jools
    Advert is on :
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2006
  5. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Generally it isn't a good place to look for a pup as its hard to weed out the decent breeders,even though there are some there ...

I know a few people with or expecting pups if you are interested ...
  6. Mel

Mel New Member

Name:
    Melody
    I agree with what Muddiwarx says ..that is a really Not Good place to look for pups .....
  7. flow-wolf

flow-wolf New Member

Name:
    jools
    I've looked on a few places for another pup,I never said I would buy off there,am just looking at the mo.
  8. Kanikula

Kanikula New Member

Name:
    Sam
    flow wolf have you looked on champ-dogs
  9. flow-wolf

flow-wolf New Member

Name:
    jools
    I'll have a gander now,only looking at the moment,not buying,too expensive before Christmas coming up
  10. samba

samba New Member

Name:
    Alex
    Well, I am the proud owner of a Malaweiler as I like to call her. Her dad was a Rottweiler and the mum an Alaskan Malamute. The result was an extremely loyal, protective family orientated dog with the Coat of the Malamute and the bone structure of the Rotti. Her character is defiantly more like her dad. I would not put this combo down at all, quite the opposite I would encourage it.

[​IMG]
  11. mo

mo New Member

Name:
    Maureen Boyd
    you were probably one of the lucky ones then,to have such a good well behaved dog that does sound like its more rotti than mal, problem with mixing breeds like this you can get traits from either of the parents, I personally would not like to have a dog with strong guarding traits of the rott, and the independant nature of the malamute, as malamutes choose themselves when to obey a command. and its always a lottery when mixing breeds like this what the end result will be as to which traits they will carry. plus both breeds suffer from hip dysplaysia along with other health problems, I am guessing the breeder of your dog may not have had the parents hip scored before paring them together?

Mo

Mo
  12. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    At least the mix I have looks similar, to put 2 totally different dogs together like that is just irresponsible IMO.
  13. ShaynLola

ShaynLola New Member

Name:
    Jules

Hear! Hear! Mo

My Chow X Rottie (very accidental litter) is exactly as you describe...the guarding tendencies of the Rottie combined with the independence inherent in most spitz types. Whilst we adore him, I will be the first to admit that he is not the easiest of dogs in terms of training and his recall is nigh on non-existent!! We have learned how to 'manage' him but I certainly wouldn't be recommending it as a cross to anyone!!
  14. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Good on you Shaynlola, as much as I love your big guy though...nice to have a one off.:grin:
  15. samba

samba New Member

Name:
    Alex
    I see your point, I guess I just feel a bit defensive when it comes to my girl. She was not bred on purpose (i got her from my neighbors) and I do feel lucky the way she turned out. She is the second Malamut X I own and my other Dog ( a malmut, wolf, Border Colly X I got from the SPCA) is defiantly more of a hand full, but with dedication and understanding of the dogs nature I managed to train even this older dog ( i got her when she was 4). She still challenges me sometimes but I just firmly let her know that I am the Alpha in the pack and she loves me to bits for it. I guess its important in breeds like that, that one has the time and love to shape the dog to be a good companion.
    Respect,
    Alex
  16. ShaynLola

ShaynLola New Member

Name:
    Jules
    Thanks Inkliveeva :) Yes, my boy is certainly a 'one off' and I can't stress enough how important he is to us, BUT, although We don't find him difficult now, that's only because we've had more than 3 years to learn about his foibles add find ways to work around them. He is certainly not the dog for everyone by any stretch of the imagination but he has personality in bucketloads which almost makes up for the additional grey hairs he has caused since his arrival :lol:
  17. vickinicks

vickinicks New Member

Name:
    victoria
  18. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Vicki they are in Canada, where wolf crosses are not unusual.
  19. vickinicks

vickinicks New Member

Name:
    victoria
    I see sorry !!!! Opps :blush:
  20. samba

samba New Member

Name:
    Alex
    We actually have to watch our bitches here when they go into heat as wolfs will come to try and get them to sneak away from our homes only to be killed by them.... Wolfs are not the only danger to dogs here, Cougars and Bears with cups can be very dangerous too...
  21. abbie

abbie Member

Name:
    Hi Samba. Sorry this is off topic but just wondered where in BC you are. We have family in BC. Its a lovely place :grin: