Alaskan Husky General Chat

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by werewolf, Jun 11, 2008.

1. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private

Alaskan Husky

I remember watching a breed programme (US) about the Husky and on it they had the Alaskan Husky. I am curious as to whether there are any of these dogs in the UK and also what Husky enthusiasts think of the breed?
    Thanks for your input.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I thought the Alaskan Husky was just a first cross of a husky and a mal given a poss name. Like a puggle or labradoodle and not a breed.
  4. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    An Alaskan Husky is like a lurcher in that it is a type rather than a breed, bred for a purpose and looks irrelevant.

They are a sled dog made up of a variety of mixed breeds.

We don't really have them here as there is no job for them - a few people have mixed breed sled dogs for racing, they can be run up in Scotland but no real call for them so not popular and they have no specific "look" either - just a lean houndy look which I personally like, but not overly different from so many other dogs so the designer dog seeker is unlikely to jump on their bandwagon!
  5. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    A Mal/Husky has a stupid designer name of 'Huskamute' :roll:

An Alaskan Husky, like Julie (Muddiwarx) says, is a type, not a breed. They are dogs that are crossed with varying breeds to create a sled dog for work purposes, widely used in the big races like the Iditarod and Yukon Quest etc.
  6. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    same thoughts here a alaskan malamute X siberian husky

with a made up name!

same as 'huskamutes' & 'snowdogs'
  7. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    No they are not the same :lol:

A Huskamute is simply a Mal cross Husky

An Alaskan HUsky is a 'Type' of dog, NOT a breed, containing varying breeds, used for working sleds, primarily for the big alaskan races.
  8. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Oh what do you know T?? ;-)

It is NOT a Mal x husky..
  9. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Yes it is :lol:

And just to add the term 'Snowdog' is just a descriptive term for dogs that originate from 'snowy' lands etc, it's not a breed term of any breed or cross !
  10. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    ahhh yeh thats what i said huskamute mal x husky!

etc!! ahhhh there all the same you know what i mean!! :lol: :lol:
  11. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    :shock: No they are NOT all the same !

An Alaskan Husky is NOT a Huskamute !

It's statements like yours that put people in a spin and confuse people about the differences. A Huskamte is a crossbreed of 2 specific breeds. An Alaskan Husky is a mix of many breeds and usually look nothing like any Northern breed.

And NO you didn't say that. You said :

that an alaskan Husky was the same as a Huskamute ! There is absolutely NO reason for the mix to create a Huskamute, the breeds are so similar, there are no benefits for the cross.

The alaskan husky were created to WORK or RACE.
  12. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    god here we go again its not a statment i was mucking around hence the laughing. : :lol:

i know i understand i get it it was a joke *sigh* :roll:
  13. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    Alaskan Huskies are the chosen sled dog of those who are into serious sled dog racing throughout the world. Alaskan Husky breeders regard them not as a breed, but as a type of dog bred to do a particular job. As has been explained, although they are bred with as much expertise and care as a pedigree show dog, the only consideration when assessing the quality of the dog is racing performance! Anything else is regarded as cosmetic.
    These are Alaskan Huskies:
    [​IMG]

There are a few Alaskan Huskies here in the UK, imported purely for racing purposes, but they are certainly not widespread.

Mick
  14. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no

awww they look very nice! :D i bet they love racing!
  15. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison

what great dogs, bred for working not showing, which is the whole point of a sled dog to me
  16. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Strange post !

Dogs aren't bred 'For' showing, they are shown, to prove they are worthy of continuing in the gene pool !
  17. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison

malady
    I meant that these dogs are bred for performance and that looks are irrelevant, as opposed to show dogs who are judged in the show ring on looks, as how can a show judge know the dogs working or racing ability
  18. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    :lol: Dogs aren't judged at shows on looks :lol: Hence 'Going Over' a dog and watching it's movement round the ring and how the two affect eachother. A dog's conformation plays the most part in the show ring, hence why a judge needs to know the points of conformation and movement and how it's affected and how it manipulates movement to the dog. Hence if a dog of a certain breed has the correct conformation for that breed, then it sits correct to the standard which was devised as having the best construction for the job it was bred for ;-)

The outward appearance of a dog (coat/eyes/colour) are aesthetics only and gain very few points in the show ring. Construction is everything ;-)
  19. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison

yes I did know about movement and construction and conformation, that is why my dog that does have a colour fault still does well, and my dog that is a standard coat colour and poor movement does not.

how would a show judge be able to comment on a working sled dogs health, stamina or speed
  20. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Ah now that depends on which sled dog. Different sled dogs for different jobs.

Mals are bred to be freighting dogs, therefore capable of hauling heavy loads, therefore needing good bone, legs not too long etc there's lots of things that even if a dog is constructed well, there are particulars to a breed which would determine whether it would succeed in its job, that's the point of the breed standard. A Mal moving around a ring indicates it's drive and if it's coming from the right place, which in turn would indicate if it had the stamina needed.

Speed in Mals is not an issue, they are a freighting dog, not racing dogs ;-)

Showing has nothing to do with internal health, there is no way of knowing.
  21. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
    yes indeed Mals are freighting animals, but this thread is about Alaskan huskies