AKC General Chat

Discussion in 'Samoyed' started by Arianne07, Jun 15, 2023.

1. Arianne07

Arianne07 New Member

Name:
    Arianne

AKC

Is it normal for dog to be AKC registered but have no information ?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Arianne07

Arianne07 New Member

Name:
    Arianne
    IMG_0539.jpeg IMG_0538.jpeg IMG_0538.jpeg The parents are also AKC registered. But this is all it gives us.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Well now you have a good photo and all ears are up, it is time for you to decide whether you want one of these boys!
    Regarding the AKC details. I am in the UK but if anybody logs the name of one of my dogs, (or my Affix), into the KC Health Status section they will be able to view :-

a. The full name and birthdate of the dog they are searching, and its sex and colour.
    b. The clear, carrier or affected status for any dna testing the dog may have had done, (for conditions that are considered problematic in that breed - will also include being born genetically clear of the condition).
    c. The breeding co-efficient - the degree of inbreeding by percentage.
    d. A two generation pedigree - which can usually be further expanded.
    e. The number of KC registered litters the dog has either birthed or sired, and their dates. This is expandable to show how many puppies of each sex were in each litter, and their KC names.
    This information is provided as a tool for breeders to investigate the health status and the breeding of any dog they are thinking of buying or using for breeding, but is open for anyone to access. I don't know whether the AKC provides a similar service, but I do know that serious US breeders are very well versed in genetics and pedigree research. I haven't time at present, but I will try to look up some American breeding that I know is tested - unless one of Breedia's US members can have a go at answering this query first hand.
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    It's been way too long (pre-internet) since I was involved with the AKC. From what I can find, they only verify if the dog is registered - they do not provide detailed information about testing, pedigree, etc.

I would ask the breeder to provide official test results for both parents as well as their pedigrees (going back at least five generations) including number of litters each female in the pedigree has had and any titles won.

If they can't provide that information, then I would be hesitant to buy from them. A good quality breeder should have that information tracked and easily accessible.