Springer owners - dirty bellies! General Chat

Discussion in 'English Springer Spaniel' started by Pidge, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Pidge

Pidge New Member

Name:
    Em

Springer owners - dirty bellies!

Guys

What do you do about the dirty belly thing? Woody always gets a dirty tummy, even if it's been a dry day!

Mud just sticks on him and sometimes into him, making little mud dents in his skin. He'd have to be bathed every day to get rid of it so what do you do?

Is it OK to leave it? I try to clean the creases of his legs as am sure that must irritate but it is hard to get it off. It seems to stick to him like hot tar!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Lizzy23

Lizzy23 New Member

Name:
    Liz
    if there really bad a blast from the hose pipe does it (i know cruel mummy) if its not too bad let it drop of they seem to clean the last bits of themselves
  4. Pidge

Pidge New Member

Name:
    Em
    Well he went for a swim in the Ford just after and he's STILL muddy, even now, this morning ;o)
  5. Fudgeley

Fudgeley New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    mud will drop off and brush out on it's own . I know my brother Phil will sometimes take Fingal so he can have a swim somewhere clean if he really needs it.I don't think he really baths him. Ramble has some magic cloths she uses on Cosmo. You could drop her a pm?
  6. valandra

valandra New Member

Name:
    Purdy
    I get this with Pepsi too, i usually give her a quick rinse with the shower after every walk. But i dont usually get it when its dry.
  7. kirstya72

kirstya72 New Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Molly is like this also, even when there has been no rain for ages she seems to attract mud. I just rub the worst off with a dry towel and she cleans the rest off herself, other than that she would need three baths a day:shock:
    I only resort to the dreaded bath if she is really caked in mud or she has been indulging in her favourite sport of "fox poo rolling". She is the champion stinker at that I can tell you.
    Labs are sooo much easier from a cleaning point of view, nothing sticks to them and even after a long wet walk a quick shake followed by a rub down and Charlie is good as new:lol:

The only other thing I do is keep Molly's coat fairly short, especially her feathers as the seem to attract thorns and bits of wood which are nigh on impossible to brush out.
  8. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    Dusty gets a muddy tummy on every walk so gets a rinse with the hose, which he doesn't seem to mind. He was clipped just before he came to us and is probably due another trim, which does make it easier to keep him clean. I will leave about 2 inches on his tummy to protect him from brambles etc.
  9. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    Its not just springers that get dirty bellies.....

[​IMG]

As others have said, when it dries, it just drops out and then you're back to a nice clean belly...

[​IMG]
  10. Pidge

Pidge New Member

Name:
    Em
    Hehe, brilliant!

I was hoping someone would make a ''not just springers'' post. ;o)
  11. Tigger2

Tigger2 New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Yes Im the proud owner of a dog who loves a mud bath! Seriously, if Tigs cannot find water he will find the muddiest patch going and immerse himself fully into it! :lol:

I think there are different types of mud though (bear with me, lol) cos sometimes Tigs will go in a ditch (prob stagnant oozy mud stuff-ugh!) and after doing so there is nothing for it but a shower or hose down. However, most mud, from your average walk/trek through fields I find will easily drop out once dry, usually in rather fetching fine dust format all over my leather settee and wooden floors.....it looks like a dusty lane sometimes here!

Having said that, if I possibly can, I will enourage Tigs to fetch his stick in the river where we walk and avoid the nasty ditches on the way back to the car - a few dips works wonders. I am lucky though as his coat is quite fine for a springer. :)
  12. Luke

Luke New Member

You's have got it easy..working types don't have all that much coat, try a show type and see how bad it gets:wink:
  13. Tigger2

Tigger2 New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Lol - I know, my sister has an enormous big fluffball of a springer and she suffers! They couldn't believe how smooth and tangle free Tigger was when they came over to visit last summer. :002:
  14. PawsForever

PawsForever New Member

Name:
    Vicky
    My Sprollie Jessie always has a muddy belly. I think the best thing to do is leave it and it will come off its own.:grin:
  15. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    When people throw sicks into the canal you mean :lol:

Pidge - If giving Woody a swim isn't an option you could always make a dog bag - my Spaniels have loved them.
  16. Pidge

Pidge New Member

Name:
    Em
    Huh?

He is a serious swimmer and we rarely take him on walks where he can't swim. the worst of it is the morning on lead walks on a dewey morning. Mud magnet belly and hair!!
  17. spaceman

spaceman New Member

Name:
    John
    Hose pipe on legs and bellies.

Drying coats / jackets. I'm not the type to dress up my dogs, but these really do work. You can buy them from shops and internet retailers - I know two people that make Springer sized jackets with the proceeds going to rescue ;-)

I'll wipe their paws with a towel, but let the drying coat do the rest.