Wolf lookalike breeders Controversial

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by kcjack, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    If the motivating factor for breeding is money, then I see a problem.
    A good breeder sells to good homes not to a plate ( a farmer doesn't care if his chops are going to be loved). I would worry that standards would be lower if they are producing a large number of pups. Do they have waiting lists for pups? What happens to the pups that are not sold? If it is a business, they will not be kept. The price is reduced, the standard of home will fall as they need to offload the older pup.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    Now this I do agree with, why use a dog at stud constantly from the time he is old enough, why not give the pups time to mature a bit and see what happens,

my last litter was almost three years ago, I have found it really helpful, letting one litter become adults before breeding again,
  4. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    to compare breeding pups to farming beef or lamb, is a bit strange, but that said, its very fitting to some of the wolf look-a-like breeders I guess.

You will only do well in the equine world of breeding and selling foals if they are good quality.
  5. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Oh god LH you are so right and your statement there made me sick to think that some of these puppies would be culled if no homes were found, I mean they wouldn't want to see them in rescue , would they ?:cry:
  6. banji

banji New Member

Name:
    tamara
    do you know of any breeders that do this.
  7. banji

banji New Member

Name:
    tamara
    if they were culling healthy pups they wouldnt be breeding for money. culling is usually done when breeders are attempting to perfect a breed and that is any breed.more so the really odd shaped dogs.
  8. banji

banji New Member

Name:
    tamara
    rhodesian ridgebacks for instance are often culled by breeders if they dont have the ridge, although these pups are generally healthier without the ridge.
    makes no sense to breed unhealthy dogs for looks. although they are beautiful dogs and one who is actually in correct proprtion which is far healthier for the dog.
  9. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    Breeders are not going to let you know what they culled.
  10. banji

banji New Member

Name:
    tamara
    what do you mean,let who know.
  11. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    Advertise the fact they cull are they
  12. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    RR's at least you can see if there is a ridge or not, you wouldn't know if a pup was odly shaped at birth, unless it had 2 heads or sommit missing !
  13. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

Name:
    WD
  14. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
  15. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    Hi wolfdog, Yes bad breeding practice goes on in all breeds sadly,

I think most of the points above will be covered, by saying, this thread is about wolfdog breeders, hence why they alone are being debated, Im sure if you take the time to look at other threads on breeding, you will see that most people have strong views, no matter what the breed.
    also people are concerned about the large numbers of pups being turned out by breeders.
  16. Navajo

Navajo New Member

Name:
    Navajo
    Why? The farm animals are still living creatures at the end of the day. A sow producing two litters of piglets every year still has feelings and some say intelligence close to that of a dog.

With regards to the horse industry, some of the racing stock produced that sells for upwards of 100,000 is not good quality. When you breed speed to speed without any regard for conformation, correctness of limbs and feet, temperament e.t.c you lose the quality.

That's another question, why is it considered OK to sell horses many times in it's lifetime but it is not considered OK to rehome a broodbitch?

Again, I'm forming no opinion on the matter just wish to hear those of the forum.
  17. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Was this directed at me??

To compare farm "stock" to supposed pets is probably more right that you know.. Most NI etc breeders don't have pets they have stock!! so yeah.. farmers breed for money.. nice likeness actually!!

The problem wasn't the breeding for money (although that is a huge problem) the problem was that by breeding litters back to back or too soon (not letting the pups mature) with the same sire and dam then its pointless as you don't know what you are going to get..
    Say for instance..you breed this sire and dam in July 2009 and then again in July 2010... you have a year old litter and a litter just born.. then one of the year old pups is diagnosed with epilepsy.. then you have TWO full litters of pups with problems..whereas if you had waited..the diagnosis might have come first..and you could have avoided dooming another litter..OR you could have used another sire..

IMO good breeders only repeat the mating if they get something fantastic from the first one..AND only then when the first litter has matured enough to tell..

The wolf-type owners don't get a hard time..the wolf type breeders do..and the owners defend them(well some owners..others have seen the light so to speak!)

Why do you consider yourself lucky to own one?? They appear to be "ten a penny" and it seems its not hard to get a hold of one..I would be worried about health if it were me..

As for them being more demanding..can you explain that..as we are always told they are more trainable than Northern breeds for example..(Malamutes, SIbes etc)
  18. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

Name:
    WD
  19. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

Name:
    WD
    Thank you Shona for an honist reply:grin:
    Kind regards
  20. Navajo

Navajo New Member

Name:
    Navajo
    No, not aimed at you. The forum in general!

Why is it so strange to compare them to farm stock?

If I were to cover a bitch, shoot the pups at a day or two and milk her for nearly a year you would all be up in arms, yet you consider this ok for a cow and continue to drink milk. Do you see my point?

Personally don't know a breeder within the wolfdog world and don't get me wrong I don't know THAT many, who breeds back to back. The BWDC code of conduct states that a bitch may only have one litter per 12 months. We are not allowed to breed until atleast 2, the KC is only 1y.o!!!!! Both of mine were 2 and a half and nearly 3y.o with their first litters.

Again, I agree. I have not put the same sire over the same bitch so am not aware of who does this?
  21. banji

banji New Member

Name:
    tamara
    if you are a dog owner you should research what goes into creating your dog.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.