Differences Between Long and Short Haired GSDs Grooming

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by werewolf, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Measured him tonight and he is 26 inches to the shoulder, so he is getting biiiig :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    my two and previous dogs have always stopped grwoing height wise at about 13 months then seem to fill out until they are about 18 months and then gather muscle tone and are the overall package by the time they have reached two.
    yoda is 25 1/2 inches at the moment (18m) and has been the same since he was 13ish months.
    sadie is 23 inches and reached that at 11 months(she is 2 1/2 now)
  4. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Thanks for your contributions everyone xxxxxx More pics though please.......xxxxxxxx
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thanks GSDmad. I thought it was around 12-13 months for height, and then they tend to fill out etc.

I think Yogi will probably end up oversize, as he is already 26 inches at the shoulder and is only 8 months :shock: :lol: The breeders did tell me that his sire did tend to produce males larger than himself.

Yogi's gorgeous dad ...

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/pedigree/454208.html
  6. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    You are probably right about having the whole package by 2 years Helen, but I really meant just growing upwards iyswim?
  7. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    Wow fabulous dog!
  8. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Here is my Flame (female) and my friend's dog Max (male).

[​IMG]

And Max on his own

[​IMG]
  9. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    Hi Werewolf it is more about the lines the dogs are from than whether it is coated or not.
    My dogs reach their max wither height at approx 10-12mths and then any weight they gain then is from muscle.
    The German Shepherd Dog typically reaches physical adulthood at 18-24 months of age, with some Eastern European bloodlines maturing even more slowly, sometimes not until 36+ months of age. However one would expect to see the rate of growth slow demonstrably after about 6 months of age, with minimal weight gain after 12 months of age in the appropriately maintained dog.
  10. basky

basky New Member

Name:
    kate
    moobli just had to measure my molly and she's 26inches aswell at 8 months :D shame your so far away, im sure mol would like another boyfriend hehe.

heres my 2 together, don't no if it helps:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Thanksxxxxxxx
  12. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    And fab pics everyone, thanks xxxx
  13. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Blimey! Is that 26 inches to the shoulder?? If so, she is going to be a HUGE bitch :shock: :lol:
  14. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    got ask... what the heck are those white things under the dog in the photo?
  15. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Ha ha! My friend was stacking Max in the photo but she wanted to be wiped off the piccie, and that was her attempt at doing it :lol: :lol:
  16. basky

basky New Member

Name:
    kate
    lol yup :) she's slowed down now tho, thank god. no wonder everyone calls her a him...grrr. she even has a puple lead and pink tag lol.
  17. Ceefer

Ceefer New Member

Name:
    Tam
    Basky your long coat looks so much like mine. Mine is only 12 weeks tho but I can see what he is going to look like when he gets older by looking at yours.
    Absolutely gorgous. How old is yours?
  18. basky

basky New Member

Name:
    kate
    oooo have you got a picture? she's 8 and a half months now.
  19. Ceefer

Ceefer New Member

Name:
    Tam
    I was going to try and put a pic on but I am not allowed to attach anything apparently. If i can do it then I will put one in the pics bit of the main forum:-(
  20. Magic

Magic New Member

Name:
    Magic
    I've found like many others have posted here, that many of the long coats I've seen tend to be much chunkier in the legs and joints. Whilst looking very endearing, is something I'm a little cautious of as sometimes big joints = troubles, that's through my own experience and opinions of vets I've discussed regarding this.

Another drawback I have found of the long hair gsd is that I find them irresistable and tend to cuddle them an awful lot - considerably more than a short hair, which I feel is detrimental to the relationship (at least in my case), and detracts from them being a proper dog - but that's only how I am affected by them :grin: I have a standard stock coat lad now lol:grin:
  21. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    :lol: :lol: :lol: I agree Magic! Mine get cuddled all the time ... by lots of other people, as well as me. I think they have a *friendlier* look to them than the standard coats, and as pups you have to beat people back from wanting to cuddle them :grin:

Have we seen pics of your lad? Would love to please :mrgreen: