Staffies on kids news programme 'newsround' General Chat

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by jossrocker, Dec 6, 2008.

1. jossrocker

jossrocker New Member

Name:
    jo

Staffies on kids news programme 'newsround'

Hiya
    I watched this yesterday (i dont always watch kids tv!!!!;-) ) a nice little report on staffies, the problems the rehoming centres are having and how they are trying to rid the stigma surrounding them.
    Nice to educate the kids about the problems they have rehoming them.
    Such a shame it is happening to this loving, beautiful breed.:-(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_7760000/newsid_7766500/7766575.stm
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Brundog

Brundog New Member

Name:
    Dani
    i missed it but they also had a staffie featured on the five news rehoming campaign who was very pretty !!!
  4. DalaiMama

DalaiMama New Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Poor Staffies :(

I can't imagine how bad they must feel in rescue, they love people, any people (!) so very much.

Lovely and much misunderstood dogs. I have had people shrieking and flapping when I walk mine, but she is not in the least agressive and the worst she has ever done is 'nose bump' another dog who was getting too fresh.

I hope they find good homes for these dogs, its such a shame.
  5. jossrocker

jossrocker New Member

Name:
    jo
    yes i always get that when out walking. Although it is quite amusing when people come to the door trying to sell things and ive got zorch pulling to get at them (not to bite, to jump up at them and play!!!) and they back off slightly worried!! haha he wouldnt hurt a flea. Although he does have a tendency to eat woodlice!!!!!!
  6. Kazz

Kazz New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Its the perception of the breed that is wrong, and the people that perception encourages is the sort of person WE (as a breed) do not need.

My Sal is not dog friendly she is a Stafford:
    No she would not start a fight but she would fight back.
    No she would not bite, she does not flicker when humans are concerned, in any way.
    She is confident and a pure Stafford in her temprament, but she is not the dog for everyone .

The breed is special like every other but we do seem to attract numpties.
  7. DalaiMama

DalaiMama New Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Hi Kazz

Your words echo what the rescue centre told me when I adopted Rosaline.

I do agree they are not dogs for everyone, not a first dog either (IMO). It's vital to have understanding of dog behaviour, pack instincts, etc. In short I would say that Staffies respond best to consistent, firm but fair handling. This goes for all dogs but staffies seem to need to know their place in the scheme of things and then all is well with the world.

I have never known a dog want to please so much, you are the most important thing in their world once you have built a bond.

Although I admit I quickly lost the battle to get her to sleep in her bed, mine is much nicer, apparently ;-)
  8. DalaiMama

DalaiMama New Member

Name:
    Jackie
    My Pointer does an amazing 'big boy bark' when anyone comes to the door. They back away in fear, but he is the softest dog you could ever meet. I don't tell anyone that though, it would ruin his image.

Rosaline (staffy) greets anyone and everyone as long lost best friends, not guard dog material. Only dangerous if you have sausage hidden about you :D
  9. Brundog

Brundog New Member

Name:
    Dani
    well of course, if its any consolation most staffie owners definetly share their bed !!!
  10. DalaiMama

DalaiMama New Member

Name:
    Jackie
    LOL :D

When my partner is home we have two of them in there, they have this funny routine. His Staffie girl loves me best for the first 24 hours, my staffie girl loves him best, then the second night they go back to their respective owners' side. Its very funny. I am just glad they get on so well.

Do any other Staffie owners find their dogs doing that 'in the top and out the bottom' thing, they have to go in the bed through the top of the quilt, even if its warm and they pop straight out the other end. Its very comical. Ok, sometimes its a bit annoying when its the fith time in a night you have to lift the duvet for them, but there you go, all part of the service:D

I don't always let on the dogs share the bed, some people look absolutely horrified but I knew you lot would understand.
  11. venus

venus New Member

i have four staffords, they are my breed and i love them more than anything else. Of course anyone coming to the door, and they see four of them bouncing off the door, is quite funny, i have also had one man jump the wall of the front garden because he was so scared, he met them and then wanted to take them home lol. i would love to take one or two of mine into school, to try and educate the children, but my daughters schookl would not allow it, which i feel is a shame!.