Dobes, what are they like? General Chat

Discussion in 'Dobermann' started by Razcox, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel

Dobes, what are they like?

My OH seems very taken with Dobes and has expressed an interest of getting on in the future (he also likes beagles and lurchers but he can only have one!). But i have no idea what this breed is like to own.

So all you dobe owners what are they like as a breed? Hit me with the pros, cons and things to look out for if you don't mind. Thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
  4. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Ta muchly!

bit of a way off yet as we will have had to have moved and one of us not working so much but i do like to know what i would be getting myself in for. One thing is for sure we are not thinking of a dobe to be a guard dog!
  5. fluffybunnyfeet

fluffybunnyfeet New Member

Name:
    paul
    There are quite a few threads about Dobes, but don't recall actually much info on what they are like to own, the one that Borderdawn linked though has some.

We have three, two males and one female who is their Mum.

Like any other breed they vary from one to the next but I shall attempt to explain.

From the practical side grooming is easy, hair loss minimal but the hair does tend to stick into some fabrics, I actually had one sticking into my toe! Claw clipping is essential and can be tricky and best if someone shows you as its easy to take of too much and then blood all over the place!!

They don't smell too bad unlike some dogs although they can sometimes eat some vile things given half the chance. Generally they are quite clean dogs but do like to roll in the odd smelly substance like a dead mole or fox poo. Not normally necessary to bathe the dog except after poo rolling!

Being fine coated they tend to feel the cold and they do like to cuddle up either together or with you and they do like their creature comforts, ie your sofa, clothes, bed etc.

They can sometimes indulge in howling in your absence, ideally long periods alone would not be desirable although ours are alone for about 6 to 7 hours on weekdays and we have no problem. I would recommend not leaving the dog too long though and would shorten this considerably ideally.

They can be left with people if you go away but they will sulk, they bond with their owners greatly and would miss you greatly if you were absent for too long.

They need a fair amount of exercise, and off the lead, I would say they are high energy dogs needing a 30-40 mins blast in the morning and again later on in the day, just lead walking is not really an option. If you do this its unlikely you will have too much problem with destructive behaviour but they can sometimes indulge themselves with the odd shoe or clothes shredding.

Most of the time good with other dogs, but be aware they tend to have very good memories and if wronged by another dog that breed or type is then black listed. Willow goes berzerk at black labs, wary of gsd's and Chille does not trust anything remotely Jack russel.

Great with children (least mine are with our friends young children and any others). Okay with cats (that you own) although any other cats are fair game.

Stubborn at times, but respond well to training particularly one to one. Not bad at agility, females better though for this, can be excellent at scenting, they love being occupied and using their brain.
    You must be firm with them, not overbearing or control freak style but assert who is boss (ie you) and this will be amply awarded.

They love to greet you and everyone else, ours all run around for a shoe or toy to greet you with. They do make great companions and we always seem to get really great reception from other people.

Overall they are fantastic dogs to own, often much admired by others and a true doggy friend unlike some that are aloof. Some people may back off them due to the dobbies rep, really this is daft when in your control but they are a protection breed of dog rather than a guard dog, so common sense is applied.

Think carefully before proceeding though as they are a little more of a handful than you average pooch but if you have had dogs before you shouldn't have any problem.

I have had a few other breeds but do love the Doberman.

I am sure there is plenty I have missed about what they are like to own and scouting around on the net (and here) will give you lots of advice about what to look out for in the breed regarding health issues etc.

This is a short video of Willow and Chillie (the male) doing some agility with the OH. Willow is quite good and often gives the pesky collies a run for their money and has won several times in ABC when she was younger.
    http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=97208
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2008