Question about the Northen Inuit type dog General Chat

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Westie_N, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I think it would be EXTREMLEY easy to import a Wolf hybrid and and bring it in as a Husky or Husky cross! Look how easy it is to bring in a Pit Bull as a Boxer/Lab cross!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    I agree... if there is no blood test to prove wolf content, you can bring anything in.. under the guise of another breed or x breed.
  4. Ixectrona

Ixectrona New Member

Name:
    Frida
    Neither the NI, Utonagan or Tamaskan are wolf hybrids.

I have checked their history thoroughly and never seen anything that sais there is wolf blood in them. Only once, there was a statement that the tamaskan has some Ceskoslovensky vlcak in them, but other sources simply say - no wolf content whatsoever.

"The first dogs to start the ball rolling, leading to the Tamaskan Dogs of today, came over from America in the 80's. These 5 dogs were imported into UK and described as husky type dogs – origins unknown.
    These dogs were then bred to Alaskan Malamute, Siberian Husky and German Shepherd crosses – origins unknown - with the idea in mind of creating a dog that resembled the wolf but with a good temperament, thus being suitable as a family dog, foremost with working ability.

In the early days, through selective breeding by a couple of people, these dogs were mated to perhaps pure Siberian Huskies or first generation crossbreeds. A couple of German Shepherds were also used and Alaskan Malamute. But after that, they were selectively bred to each other over a few years trying to create this wolf look-a-like. (Up until this time, no one is 100% certain of the breeding programmes, as no records were made available). Eventually given the name wolf-dog, in approximately 1988 the name changed to Northern Inuit (NI) as there was no wolf content, and the wolf-dog name was misleading."
    - The Tamaskan Dog Register

"Known for its wolf like apperance, the Tamaskan Dog has no wolf content, contrary to popular rumour."
    - The Tamaskan Dog Society

"In the late 60's a woman named Eddie Harrison decided to experiment at creating a new breed. She and some fellow interested breeders bred together Alaskan Malamutes, Siberian Huskies and German Shepherd Dogs, the aim being to produce something that looked like a wolf.

These dogs were imported as 25% wolfdogs, but upon further investigation were found to be rescued animals of unknown ancestry. The progeny of these dogs were then selectively bred back to the Alaskan Malamute, Siberian Husky and German Shepherd mixes already in place."
    - Twatha Utonagan

"Originally they were given the name “Wolf-Dog”, but since there was no wolf content this name was misleading. In 1988 the name was changed to Northern Inuit (NI) and the Northern Inuit Society was formed shortly thereafter."
    - Double J Kennels
  5. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Dont you think there are many people researching the history of the NI? Read back on posts here going back YEARS. The creator of the NI is a member here, she is also a liar as been proved many times. She was on national TV stating her dogs are wolf hybrids, she sold them as such, you wont get to the bottom of the lies in this type of dog, its a bottomless pit. Thankfully though there are now some breeders coming away and concentrating on righting the wrongs that have gone on. Its an absolute minefield, dogs dying very young, large incidences of certain inherited faults and diseases etc.. Its hoped they can do something that will hopefully help the dogs.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2008
  6. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    LOL.. i wouldn`t believe everything you read on the internet.
  7. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison

The dogs were sold as wolf hybrids, complete with wolf hybrid pedigree certificates, although it has never been proved one way or the other if they were wolf hybrids or cross breed dogs. After a court case in 1998 (which failed to prove that the dogs were hybrids, as the court had no access to examine them) the dogs were then sold as Northern Inuits

In 1994 the dogs were being sold as wolf hybrids

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=94460&page=2

see post 15

8. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    What she said!:grin:
  9. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Possibly because when the founders are questioned on their breeding and health issues noted in certain lines from some of their dogs that were once called Utonagan - they accuse you of libel. I experienced this yesterday. You can't have it both ways on a forum - if you are a club promoting your breed, you should expect people to question things that do not add up.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2008
  10. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    The NIS do not cross NIs with anything. They are purebred NI to NI and have been for many generations.

Other factions have had smaller genepools so are needing to outcross.
  11. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Thats not correct is it. the other "factions" have realised what people like Julie Kelham have done to the dogs and are trying to rectify it for the sake of the dogs!

Practically all NI's go back through identical breeding, when names are different they are often litter siblings. Sandra Curry realised her mistakes and is putting them right, its a shame others cant do the same. Their genepool is in no way smaller than any other, they are all the same, but they will use HEALTHY dogs that have been health tested rigorously over many generations to try to pick up the crap some NI breeders have left behind.
  12. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    Yes it is correct. When the various people broke away from the NIS they took with them fewer dogs to breed from than they left behind and so their genepool was smaller.
  13. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Rhubarb! They still had the same breeding behind them did they not? Is that not what they were trying to get away from? Using new dogs is the only way to save the poor things, I do wish some people can see that.
  14. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    Yes they originally had the same breeding behind them, but the different factions then added crosses so the dogs they have NOW have different breeding behind them from those of the NIS.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2008
  15. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Like the ones on the health thread you mean? :roll: If there are any new breeding its only in the first gen or so, but you must know that inherited health issues skip generations which is why health testing is imperitive.
  16. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    Still very important if any of those crosses introduced epilepsy or aggression problems into the breed I'd say.

Of course - absolutely!
  17. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison

As far as I know, TIDA have not yet added any crosses and are still breeding from the same NI (most Tida dogs are NIS reg and a few are Tida or joint reg)

Tida do plan to add new genes as they can see that it needs to be done.
  18. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn

I TOTALLY agree, Julie Kelham has MUCH to answer for after what she has bred, we agree Sally.:grin:
  19. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    As ALL the NI dogs that have so far produced epilepsy are NIS registered dogs... i think the blame should be directed firmly where it belongs.
  20. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Link removed

first litter planned for 2009, and also states she won't be breeding N.I to N.I
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2008
  21. taloowa

taloowa New Member

Name:
    taloowa
    i think it is great that some one is finally making the change jsut like andre tanner and charlie richardson, people are waking up to the light and realising that the NI is having big big problems and its down to them to sort it out.... Well done Sansorrella....