NI/Ute Health Problems Health

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Jo_W, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Heather and Zak

Heather and Zak New Member

Name:
    heather
    Yes and these people probably call themselves dog lovers. :evil: I hope more people come forward with information for the sake of these poor dogs. It's never too late.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    Surely as the gene has`nt been identified yet there is no way to know how many others may have it too so they should be taken out of the breeding program full stop rather than take a risk with either of them ever again :shock:

Maybe I`m just being thick but how can Dr Sampson suggest it was the combination of the two particular dogs which was the problem when it could have been one or other, does he know something the epilepsy researchers don`t know about identifying and testing for it as they have`nt developed a test nor identified the gene marker yet ?
  4. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch

Sadly what some of us non-NI owners have been saying for quite some time is being confirmed almost by the hour, I wish we had been wrong about everything for the sake of the dogs but to all who have called some of us stirrers and trouble makers I hope more heads come out of the sand :?
  5. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    I said the same just yesterday on one of these threads..we have been called names and had nasty PM's etc.. and here it is..other people, OWNERs of these dogs are confirming it all..
    Poor dogs..
  6. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    According to this article Epilepsy gene it has :mrgreen:

Hopefully now dogs can be tested for this gene and be neutered or speyed if found to carry it :mrgreen:
  7. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
    thanks for the link, but don't know if it refers to all dog breeds, or if it is just the gene miniature wirehaired dachshunds
  8. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    Hopefully it'll cover all dogs as I'd imagine the gene would be the same in all breeds. Even if it doesn't, it's only going to be a matter of time before all breeds are covered and that can only be a good thing :mrgreen:
  9. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

This seems to point to a specific gene that in turn relates to Lafora disease, particularly in purebred miniature wirehaired dachshunds?

http://www.canineepilepsy.co.uk/Research/gene.htm
  10. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
    you are right Lucky Star

Each breed is different, researchers need enough DNA samples from each breed to find the epilepsy gene for that breed. It affects more than one gene, and can skip generations. Making it difficult to trace.
  11. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    Lets hope one day that this gene/genes can be detected in all breeds and a test made available for it :grin:
  12. batmandy

batmandy New Member

Name:
    Mandy
    IHi i have to say sorry to all of you guys and girls that had said things about our dogs. I rearly thought you were a bunch of busy bodies with nothing better to do, i now realise you were only trying to help our dogs and us as owners. As you all know i have a BI who i love very much she is my babe. I would just like to say thank you for all your input and reasearch, i have to admit i knew nothing of this, and will always admit when i am wrong so thanks again
    Mandy:grin:
  13. suecousins1@blu

suecousins1@blu New Member

Name:
    Sue
    I have to agree with batmandy,didnt realise too what extent the problems were.Thanks to people like borderdawn and the persistent kcjack(and many others) things will start to change. Thanks guys
  14. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison

very well put Mandy, totally agree

thank you to all genuine dog lovers that are trying to help,

since I decided to come back onto dogsey I have turned over a new leaf,

and I apologize to all genuine dog lovers that I may have offended while defending my breed from what I thought at the time was unwarranted criticism. Now I realise that these non NI owners were doing it for the sake of the dogs, and thank them for speaking out.
  15. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia

Thank you that means alot, I have been called some awful names but have rose above it and continued and I am glad I have. Things may sometimes come across the wrong way (havent quite got Borderdawns and Patchs tact yet) but the motives were right.

Who would of thought a NI thread turns to a group love in :lol:
  16. suecousins1@blu

suecousins1@blu New Member

Name:
    Sue
    [

Who would of thought a NI thread turns to a group love in :lol:[/QUOTE]

hell,why not.everything else has been tried!!
  17. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    I am sooo pleased people are finally seeing what`s going on under their noses. If we all pull together and do the right thing, lets hope we have a way forward out of this God awful mess.
  18. boobah

boobah New Member

Name:
    lorraine
    :038: :038: :038: :038: :038: :038: Huge round of applause to all who have brought it all to the fore and most of all to those who now see that people have been trying to help out in any way they can.

I honestly say researching health issues and finding out truths is no easy feat,well done our BD'S Louise's,Patch's and Shonas.Still has a long way to go but at least people aren't frightened to come forward and admit summit is wrong anymore.xxxxxxxxx
  19. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    yah... at last people are seeing it's all about the love of dogs....
  20. boobah

boobah New Member

Name:
    lorraine
    Oooooops forgot kc too,sorry hun,love you for your persistence hun,xxxxxxxxx
  21. lovezois

lovezois Fondly remembered

Name:
    Eunice
    It is nice to see the tide is turning at last for the future of these dogs .