How are BC puppies different? General Chat

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by Lyra, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Lyra

Lyra New Member

Name:
    Sarah

How are BC puppies different?

I know they are a completely different breed of course, but what makes them more challenging to handle than other puppies? What have you found to be challenging in your BC puppy?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. I-mac77

I-mac77 New Member

Name:
    Iain
    I think the only difference is that they need to use their brains. With Ice I have found his normal behaviour does not appear to be any different, however we need to give him something to think about so he doesn't get bored and go on a destruction spree!!!!! However, I do think as adult dog working BC's need more time and effort spent with them compared to some other none working breeds.

PLus in most cases, BC's are far more intelligent than their owners :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (and that includes me with my two)
  4. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    They aren't for me, but my first BC wasn't my first dog(that was a GSD). All my puppies get treated the same, lots of free exercise @ home, static training indoors, hands off heel work from day one(for a couple of mins only & gradually built up), lots & lots of play recall & brain stimulating games & toys

I don't think they are a first time dog owners breed as they pick up bad habits very quickly(like many other breeds that are bred to work)& these can be hard to retrain out !
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    They are one breed that is truly born to work. Therefore if you can't work them on sheep, you need to have your wits about you and give them some other form of job to do. I have found all my collie pups need mental stimulation from an early age.
  6. I-mac77

I-mac77 New Member

Name:
    Iain
    Exactly, I have found with both of mine, that if you didn't give them something to do, they would find it themselves :) Zoe has never been happier than when she is working, and Ice loves to be working things out!
  7. wufflehoond

wufflehoond

Name:
    XXXXX
    They definitely need the mental stimulation. Can't tire them out physically but can definitely tire their brains out. Other than that, I don't think they're any more challenging. Cassie was never a particularly destructive pup but she's always had plenty to keep her occupied.:)
  8. Fudgeley

Fudgeley New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    They need company, exercise and lots of mental stimulation plus LOTS of cuddles!
  9. Dale's mum

Dale's mum New Member

Name:
    Janice
    I've only had BC pups and they've each been quite different little characters.
    However they're all quick to learn whither you want them to or not:roll: so you have to think about what you're doing all the time.
    Collies enjoy being busy and like learning even when they're very young.
    They can be very manipulative, often in the nicest ways, but if you don't stay a step ahead they'll end up organizing you.
    They can have long memories so early experiences are important.
    I don't know if they're more demanding than other pups but they are lots of fun :grin:
  10. elaineb

elaineb New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    I agree wholeheartedly... I have only had Ben for 7 weeks and already I can see a difference from other breeds that I have had. Ben does not like to be left to his own devices. Esp of an evening just after his walk he takes it upon himself that it is play time and bones chews, toys will get flung all round the room. Its frustrating when your trying to watch Corrie!!! I thin I need to get him some grown up toys like the ones I have seen on the tinternet. The puzzle type where they have to use their brains otherwise I am going to go insane.
    At first we thought "Oh hear we go, all the bad bits are coming out in him now, he's getting naughty, nipping at you for attention and all of the above" But now we realise that exercise is important but mental stimulation is a must for a BC
    Help any ideas how to calm him down at night until I can afford to buy some of those puzzle toys ( there expensive) The pool was fine for a while, we used to throw biscuits in it and he would work out how to retreive them, but he soon got bored with that and destroyed the pool!!:roll:
  11. Dale's mum

Dale's mum New Member

Name:
    Janice
    Have you tried teaching him one or two tricks? Dale loved it when the clicker came out. You can do a bit during the adverts :grin: Then with luck he'll settle with something to chew for a bit.
    I bought one of the expensive puzzles but it didn't occupy Dale for long. He did enjoy it but once he worked it out he lost interest. Collecting a few pots and hiding treats under one of them for him to sniff out would a cheaper alternative.
    Try hiding treats or toys around the room, house garden etc. Food balls and stuffed kongs are worth a try just remember to count it as part of his meal.
    Chip's really enjoying a boomer ball and when we had Sam he played for ages with an old football. The only snag is I can't say they play quietly :? Balls are sooooo exciting :grin:
  12. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Elaineb
    your just getting to the fun stage
    1st important to teach a 'go away and lie down' type comand else you will go mad - time out - a frozen kong in a crate or something
    collies should be taught an 'off' switch
    mind games are great
    at the moment I am treaching ben find it games where he has to sniff things out
    I started with him in a stay and hid a stinky bit of food where he could see it, then I told him 'find it' off he went and munced the food
    I then put him in a stay in the other room and put food in the same place 'find it' and off he ran at once to the same place
    then next time I moved the food slightly and he snuffed about till he found it
    now he can spend a good deal of time snuffing round looking for food
    also clicker things - 101 things to do with a box really tires them out
    teach him the name of his toys and only play with him when he brings the toy you asked for

also (difficult I know) dont give him attention when he is asking for it - nipping and attention seaking get him removed from your company for a short while, calm and quiet gets praised

If you want him calm dont play running around games - dont want the adrenaline pumping - go with quiet games
    Kong not treat ball
    paw not fetch or tug
    how about a dog grooming time?? - same time each night just before your fave tv show - get them nice and chilled

and why not make your own puzzle games
    find the treat under the cup - or in your hand
    treat on string under something they have to pull out

HTH
  13. elaineb

elaineb New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    I soooo know what your saying about balls. My ornaments cringe when Ben comes in the room. Got a Kong, he learnt that if he bounced it on the floor then all the goodies fal out!! they last about 5 mins.
    Will try the pots trick.
    Thanks
  14. elaineb

elaineb New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    "Chip's really enjoying a boomer ball"

Got a similar ball its about as big as a large melon, but he can only use that outdoors and he wants you to be there with him. It makes a terrible noise he balances it on his two front paws and then chucks it up in the air. my poor ears, flowers, pots, windows :twisted:
  15. elaineb

elaineb New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Thanks for that some good advice and ideas ;-)
  16. hayleybella

hayleybella New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    I had Ruby (prt) from a pup and Len (bC) from a pup and I have to say Len has been by far the easiest!

Really quick to house train great dog in the house very quite.... Ruby on the other hand still has the odd toileting accident was an awful chewer (shoes and my mattress:shock: )and is terribly noisey!

Although it could be that I knew what I was doing better second time around or because she is a Bitch but Len has really been a very good puppy! He will play by himslef with 2 tennis balls he will have one in his mouth while pushing his other one around with his feet he also has his Teddy which he suckles and shakes!
  17. Kicks

Kicks New Member

Name:
    Hazel
    To be honest I would say as long as they get plenty of mental stimulation they're not difficult at all! Tbh with various rescues and our own dogs we've had labs, springers, kelpies & crossbreed pups and the collies are by far the easiest! The kelpies were the most difficult, i thought at first it was due to spring (our first kelpie) being half wild when we got her - but no, when ziggs came along it just confirmed kelpie pups dont just need to learn they are naturally very naughty!!!!

x
  18. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Jed was certainly destructive as a puppy and I remember our collie crosses when I was growing up being the same. I dont think Flynn ever caused any damage when he was a pup though and he's not a BC.

He was also a far more independent thinker and as a pup, wouldnt do anything he was told and if you tried to insist he behave, the teeth would come out. Even now he'll go against you if he thinks he can get away but doesnt challenge you anymore if you tell him off.

He's such a placid dog now that it's hard to believe he used to throw tantrums in training class and I used to find myself restraining him just to avoid the bites whilst people looked on! It was definately a battle of wills and intelligence which is something i've never had with Flynn.
  19. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    I find collies easy pups, so quick & bright, Like little Sponges, Also very co ordinated etc!!!!!
  20. Colley1275

Colley1275 New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I think I must be blessed with my two.

they are both very relaxed as they have an active day and each day is quite varied as I work shifts they are never left for more than a couple of hours during the day. I vary their walks as much as possible, and always have an informal training session each day with them all.

then on an evening when we are relaxing as a family they all lie down quietly with their chew toys and are very chilled. I have taught them all to go and lie down on their beds on command, and they know that unless they are laid down quietly - the chews wont come out ! lol Its funny to watch them all race into the living room and throw themselves on their beds and then wait patiently !!

like someone early on in the thread mentioned, I think it helps to teach an 'off switch' command.

we take ours all over with us and especially at holiday time when we go walking to the Lakes etc we are always commented on how well behaved and chilled they are - laying quietly in the pub on an evening etc

mental stimulation is sooo important, my pup is nearly 10 months old, and so we have been light on the exercise, and we still can tire her out with games and training.

Once you have one - though I have found, there is NO other breed :)
  21. AlbionLass

AlbionLass New Member

Name:
    Mandy
    I haven't really owned or worked much with puppies of other breeds to be able to make a worthwhile judgement having mainly owned BC's and crosses.