More or less staffie. Questions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by catrinsparkles, Apr 18, 2008.

1. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin

More or less staffie.

When people ask me what Tonks is i say "a more or less staffy".

Dad was KC registered but mum wasn't. Tonks looks black, but put her next to a black dog and she is really a lovely speckled black/dark brown. She has a couple of brindled stripes, but not properly through out her coat. In the sun light you can see the dark brown hairs speckled through her coat.

As you can tell, i think she is absolutly beautiful and i chose her in particular, even though i could have had the pic of the "right" colours etc. She is also going to be a bit taller than a proper staff should be.

This is mum and dad

[​IMG]

Young Tonks with bonkers ears

[​IMG]

Sleeping like a staffy!

[​IMG]

most recent one of Tonks (with the ears further down where they should be!)

[​IMG]

This is turning out to be a long winded post! Some people ask why i don't just say staffy because that is what she looks like.

So i wondered what other people's opinions are?

Is she a crossbreed?

A staffy?

A not very good staffy?!

I think she is absolutly wonderful so this is more of a hypothetical question i suppose. The question was also raised when it came to insuring her as the vet thinks she is a staffy but the insurance company have her down as a cross as she is not KC registered.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. grommit

grommit New Member

Name:
    clare
    I've absolutely no idea about breeds but i just have to say i adore that jacket! so cute! The one of her asleep too is just gorgeous! :049:
  4. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    If I saw her I would guess a Staffy but I am no expert. All I know is that she is a gorgeous little thing and no wonder you love her to bits :)
  5. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Name:
    Alex
    i would say staffy through and through!!!

and absoblo*dy gorgeous!
  6. jackpat

jackpat New Member

Name:
    sarah
    Sorry but I agree. Who cares, she's gorgeous!!!!

I am in the same spot with jack he is more or less a Patterdale. He, like Tonks is " bronze" a typical Patt colour, but he is a little taller and narrower than a "proper" Patterdale. He's a rescue so we're really not sure about his parentage but we love him whatever he is!
  7. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    Awww thank you everyone. she is lovely and is snoring her head off at the moment.

I have only ever had adult rescues before and it is odd with a new puppy as people always want to know what she is. If i say staffy then you always get the clever dick who says, oh she's too tall she must be a cross etc etc.

But if i say more or less a staff they say " i can't see anything else in her but staff why don't you just say staffie!"

Maybe when they ask i should say "she is Tonks!" Perfect just the way she is! :lol:
  8. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    It is a lovely pup and I don't think you really care what her breeding is. To me both the parents look like crossbreeds and it is likely their parents were as well, but it does not matter. You have a lovely pup and as long as it is fit, well and of good temperament it’s ancestry is probably as multi ‘breed’ based as yours and mine. Meaning that most humans have a multi race and multi culture in their background and it matter not one jot.
  9. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    Yes Pita you are right. I don't care what she is really. Although i did want some of the traits of a staffy and personality wise she seems to have those so far.

We are not interesting in winning prizes and definately not producing more puppies so she is perfect.......In my eyes anyway!
  10. goblygouck

goblygouck New Member

Name:
    Steph
    She's absoloutly gorgeous :p

we have the same problem with our staffy since a lot of people say he's to tall and skinny in the face to be a proper staffy and others say that he looks full staffy :roll:
  11. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    Ha! It's funny isn't it. People want to know what they are but then disagree with any explanation that you give. Think i will stick with my more or less staffy explanation.

When i have said she is a staffy cross people want to know what she is crossed with! :lol:

Both the mum and dad had wonderful temperaments and i loved the look of mum and her wonderful colour so i was really pleased when the pup with the temperement that we were looking for also was the spitting image of her mum!
  12. goblygouck

goblygouck New Member

Name:
    Steph
    thats what we've done when people ask his breed :lol:
    hmmI know and I find some people tend to look at you weird when we say we don't know what he would be crossed with and we have no clue since accoring to the owner both dogs where full staffy

she is a lovley colour :D
  13. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    Thank you - so is yours.

She was very brown when she was born but has gone a bit darker. Apparantly mum goes browner in the summer.
  14. goblygouck

goblygouck New Member

Name:
    Steph
    thankyou

how old is she now?
  15. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    I'd say she's a staffy that is not bred to standard, there is a chance she could have other blood in her but you are not showing or breeding her so that doesn't matter. Even if she did have other blood, you can see that she is still very staffy, 99.9% staffy at least! :lol: Just that without papers her mum may or may not have other blood in her. To be honest she looks more staffy than some of the kc reg staffies round here!

The trouble with the breeding of staffies in particular (as they are so popular as pets compared to other breeds) is that a LOT of people breed them and a lot of dogs with what are considered major faults in the show world are still bred from as people don't know any better or aren't bothered, so longer legs, wrong ears, poor heads all creep in after a few generations you end up with very 'poor' staffies, which are still pedigree dogs but nothing like a staffy 'should' be. This is likely to be what has happened with your girl, however, it only matters if you wanted to show or breed. She's an absolutely beautiful wee girl and i'm sure she is everything you were looking for in a dog when you got her so it matters not about her linage as she's perfect for what you want - a loving companion.
  16. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    She will be 16 weeks on sunday.

Yes Random, you are right, she is everything we wanted. I may sound odd in saying this, but i particularly chose a dog that wasn't bred to standard. I have always had rescued cross breeds in the past but my boyfriend particularly wanted a either a staffy or a wiemerana. W's definately wouldn't suit our situation so a staff it was.

I did look at some litters of more highly bred litters, but i liked the Tonks parents temperament, looks and how their owner was raising the litter. All of these things were of more importance to me.

So now the question is......do i post pictures of her in the cross breed section, the bull breeds section or in the terriers section with the staffies! :lol:

Or just do what ever i fancy! ;)
  17. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    she looks pure staffy to me, she is lovely
  18. dan

dan New Member

Name:
    Dan
    She is absolutely gorgeous and at the end of the day she has a home and people who love and care about her.

I can see she has alot of staffie in her - how much - I havent a clue!! My Murphy is a staffie cross and has a lovely sweet nature too.

Dan. x
  19. donkey

donkey New Member

Name:
    ricky
    she looks very staff to me, and i actually prefer staffs with a slightly longer leg,
  20. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    Thank you - i do too actually.....each to their own i suppose. I think she is perfect!
  21. theicygirl

theicygirl New Member

Name:
    kaleigh
    Pure Staffys :) x