Rotties and GSDS - similar temprements? Behaviour

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by urbanwolf, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    my gsd was far more destructive in the house than the rotts and they tend not to like being left alone,,when young, young being up to 4ish with gsds
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. nero

nero New Member

Name:
    denis
    Glad you mentioned Mea Shona :grin: she'll retrieve ALL day, never gets bored with it, as you know, the rest of the gang go around sniffin and picking up scents, but Mea just wants to "fetch" all the time. :grin:
  4. urbanwolf

urbanwolf New Member

Name:
    Maz
    Great - thanks for all the replies!
  5. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    I am not a qualified trainer or breeder, but here's my opinion for what it's worth!! :D

I've owned both breeds and don't agree that Rotts do not wish at all to please their handler, they just need a handler they respect that's all. :smt002 It is true that they are more stubborn and challenge you more than a GSD, but their working ability is outstanding. I think Rotties are the more intelligent of the two breeds

I used to do working trials training, obedience training and agility (showing too!!) - when I had my Rottie bitch Brandy & GSD Jasper. (Didn't do competition obedience & W/T just trained for pleasure)

Brandy could scale the working trial equipment as easily as Jasper could, she was immensely powerful. The 6ft scale was cleared from a standing jump and she was a heavy built bitch! She wasn't as fast as him, but equally able. The Rotties tend to be more dominant

Both my GSD's had that willingness to please that bordered on slavish, none of my Rotts are that way. But they did hugely enjoy 'work'. Once you've nailed what motivates them, I think Rotts are equally as fantastic at working - just look at all the Schutzhund qualified Rotts there in Germany! My 13 mth old Rottie Marius adores his obedience training, tail never stops wagging and he is not as stubborn at my other two Rotts, despite being male.

Aside from one of my Rotts, the GSD's had a higher prey drive definately.

I agree with Shona that Rotts are more laid back (big exception being Ozzy who was always 'on the go', neither of my others were like him. Also totally agree with them being more destructive in the house than Rotts. I think they are more prone to suffer separation anxiety.

One thing that put me off another GSD was their hyperactivity. They can be so wearing to live with I feel. When you go around ringside at a show all you can hear is them screeching and whining - the Rott ring is practically silent in comparison!!!

I guess it depends on what your friend is wanting. The 'easier' one to train is the GSD for their willingness to please and 'always on' attitude. Down-side is they aren't as easy to live with in the house and can be more destructive. Rotties are better in the house I feel, both to live with and not 'chewy' dogs. You have to work at it more, but believe me they have a fab working ability which is so underrated in this country.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2008
  6. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I think so many gsd people AM and myself moving on to rotts from gsd's speek volumes, x
  7. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    Well I`ll always have a GSD - not because other dogs are worse / less eager etc. - all breeds and non-breeds have their good and bad points - but because I just love the breed. They suit me and my character and lifestyle and I enjoy them. It comes down to what you want in the end.
  8. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie

Couldn't agree more.:grin:

I still love German Shepherds, in fact were the first breed I had a passion for. Rotties just took over for me:mrgreen:

There are lots of folks I'm sure would never want a Rottie.

It really is horses for courses
  9. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    I certainly agree with this comment :lol: My old Rottie bitch hardly made a sound, unless she had been naughty then would scream the place down, you'd think I was going to kill her :lol: :lol:

My GSD boy is one whiney lad. He'll whinge, whine and bark for no apparent reason :roll:
  10. urbanwolf

urbanwolf New Member

Name:
    Maz
    Thanks for all the replies, gosh I didn't know this thread would take off so much!

Anne - Marie - that was a really interesting reply giving an insight into both breeds.

It has made me interested in the differences between rotts and dobes now, but I think I will start another thread on that if that is OK.
  11. Chunky

Chunky New Member

Name:
    lesley
    I have owned both, and I agree they are both quite different in characteristics. However breeding also plays a lot in the temperement of both breeds. Our rotts that we have had and our shepherd have all been highly driven, but that is because we like to work them, and therefore went for that type of breeding. If I had wanted something a bit more mellow, then I would have adjusted the line I went for accordingly jmo
  12. bfetterman

bfetterman New Member

Name:
    Brielle
    I've learned quite a bit from this thread, more than I was hoping for actually! I have always wanted a GSD; my mom grew up with them and fell in love with the breed, and I believe that the love she has for them has been passed down to me. They are, IMO, the most beautiful dog there is, but maybe I only feel like that because I want one so badly :lol:

A relative of mine owned both breeds so here's just a few of the things I experienced with them (memories from my childhood as I was very young when she had the rotties).

The rotties were very family oriented. They absolutely loved their family and were fiercly protective of them. The male, Max, was also a friendly dog towards "strangers" being in the house. He was aloof most of the time but would always want some love before going and laying down. L.A., the female, was a bit more nervous. I remember I was never allowed around her because they were worried she would bite me. The GSDs were also family dogs, but you could tell they loved my aunt more than the other members of the family. They would always be around her somehow, whether it be a head on her knee or laying by her on the couch, and if she left they were sure to follow. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the training aspect of it because I don't think she ever really trained any of her dogs :017: