Setter Owners...................... General Chat

Discussion in 'Gundog Forum' started by eloquence, Jan 31, 2008.

1. eloquence

eloquence New Member

Name:
    mel

Setter Owners......................

I need your help!!

I would like to get another setter, either a Gordon or an English - but i love them both and can't decide which one to have:roll: .

So as i already have 2 irish, i would love to get some honest opinions from those who own either of the above. if you also have an irish that you can compare along side then that would be great.

Which are easier to train, better behaved etc.

I know the Irish very well, but as i have only owned these i have no experience of the others:shock:

Please - blunt and honest opinions!!

Thanks,

Mel. x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Just off to bed - been a long day - but I will be back :)

Promise Mel!!!

I think you know my suggestion though and I hope you are coming to Crufts again too :)
  4. eloquence

eloquence New Member

Name:
    mel
    No probs, hope you sleep well.

I'm sure i do know your suggestion yes:lol:

You KNOW i'll be at crufts this year again :roll:
  5. Nursey

Nursey New Member

Name:
    Nursey
    Now then Mel, my two pennorth is, stick with the Irish. I know they're not on the list of options, but lets face it, you're experienced with Irish, you know what to expect. ;-)

What about looking for a nice show prospect? :smt023

Dawn R.
  6. eloquence

eloquence New Member

Name:
    mel
    :lol:
    hello you,

i spoke to a lovely lady called jackie the other day (i have a hunch you might know her:lol: - but i could be wrong:blush: )

You already know about my preperations to show hun!!
  7. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Why not have all 3?:lol: :lol: :lol:
    Well you know I have the English and they are very norty and also very loving, not as big as their cousins from Ireland or Scotland, but terrific dogs... just have the greatest ability to turn deaf at will:roll:
    I personally would love 4 of them plus an Irish and Gordon...because I am mad!!!:lol:
  8. eloquence

eloquence New Member

Name:
    mel
    well yes, i already have 2 and i want more - so i guess that puts me under the heading of 'totally nuts' !!!:lol:
  9. jackpat

jackpat New Member

Name:
    sarah
    OOOOH, I'm not a setter owner, but I know a family of Gordons and they are fabulous dogs.
  10. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    But at least you will never be bored!!:lol: I couldn't choose... I saw an Irish puppy today and I thought...mmmm one day and then I see Connor and I know I want a Gordon too!!
    Yeah have all 3!!! A nice chaotic setter household;-)
  11. eloquence

eloquence New Member

Name:
    mel
    oh yes they are all like that:roll:

although i have yet to meet a red and white:shock:

i have met the english - through scorpio and a gordon - through rachelsetters. both whom i met last year ay crufts.
  12. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    "Hello Auntie Mel,
    Remember my sisters available too;-)
    Love Deacon xxx"
    [​IMG]
  13. eloquence

eloquence New Member

Name:
    mel
    oh Claire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you know thats not allowed - and don't blame Deacon, cos i know you were involved in that!!!!

Deacon - Jazzie and Kenny send you big setters kisses. xx
  14. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    I know, I know very norty of me:lol: But that pic is quite cute!!!;-)
  15. eloquence

eloquence New Member

Name:
    mel
    'quite cute'? its awesomely cute!!

now behave or i'll have to borrow your boys for a test drive before i buy!!
  16. Thalice

Thalice New Member

Name:
    MAUD
    ENGLISH - THE BETTER SETTER !!

I am a rather biased 10 yr old English Setter and I live with my human mum and dad, my 2 daughters, one granddaughter who is due to have my great grand children next week - plus Fleet and Flash who are sons of the late and much missed Poppy.

We all live together in the house and all have our different personalities, but mostly we are kind, friendly and affectionate with a streak of stubborness.

We are patient, gentle and loving with a bit of nortiness thrown in.

We find it hard to do a recall but with patience and repetition we can learn most of the basic commands, providing there is nothing better on offer.

We crave company and cant cope with being left alone and prefer that there is a least one other dog in the family.

We love all other dogs especially other setters and we even have our own kitty.

We dont like it when people say 'Thats a lovely dog = is it a red setter ?' Our dad says 'Is she red ?' and they admit 'No - is it a white setter ?' and then they think I might be a long-haired dalmation.....AAARRGGHH !!

Good luck with your choice - whatever the colour, but I believe English are best

Thalice-Malice
    Blue Belton and Tan
    :smt077
  17. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Mel - haven't forgotten you - been busy - had a rare day with OH on Friday grooming dog on Saturday and show on Sunday - catching up on things today! Got ringcraft and agility tonight but promise haven't forgotten to give you the run down of Gordons v English!

Remind me where you are because the best thing is to meet them in the flesh - and other than at a show too! But sure we can find someone for you to meet a pack or two :)
  18. eloquence

eloquence New Member

Name:
    mel
    oh now you're talking!!:mrgreen:

I'm in oxfordshire. But i'm willing to travel:mrgreen: :mrgreen: !!
  19. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Is West Sussex too far :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :grin: :?:
  20. eloquence

eloquence New Member

Name:
    mel
    NEVER in a million years is that too far to travel!

why who lives in west sussex:? :smt102 :smt102 :mrgreen:
  21. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Mel - if I can't find someone nearer to you - if you really are willing to travel you are welcome to come to meet my lot - better to see them 'at home' usually they are a bit more quiet at a show! Well unless its Angus of course! :)

As I say I think the best way to see what you like is to get to know them - and literally get a feel for them - then you can see what is your preference Gordons or English ! Many people I know always start out with the Irish and the passion grows for the others - I will always love the Irish too!

Now I promise to do my for and agaisnt list for both - and will see who I know or who is around your neck of the woods!