English Springer Spaniel Discussions

Discussion in 'English Springer Spaniel' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Seen a lot of Ralph pics and i'd say of all the pictures the top one of those latest two really shows the 'domed' head off well compared to the pic of Meg just before - and Fingal earlier in the thread. He also looks longer in the leg although mine have always been a little short.

Phil
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    I would agree with what's been said. To me he looks like a working type, but his head gives away the show side of his breeding. He's very handsome! :grin:

Here's a little comparison with Isla - a show Springer with working lines bred in (7 months old):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The major difference is the feathering really I think and her head is slightly more domed?
  4. Luke

Luke New Member

Thanks all-see, knew i could rely on you!
    I think he leans towards more of the field type..but with a slightly 'stronger' head than some of the more commonly seen field types..then again it could be down to his breeding also, his father had quite a similar head actually.
    Isla is amazingly gorgeous, i love her face! She and Ralph are quite similar..and she is also the image of Ralph's dam, but i agree the head shape is slightly different and with more feathering.
    To be honest..Ralph reminds me loads of Het's Zack, and Rips your dear old girl Bonnie!
  5. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    Thanks Luke! :grin:

I do love Ralph and think you have the best of both worlds with him. He's a lovely looking dog and looks like my kinda Springer. ;-)

Isla will have more feathering on her with her having more show influence, but her Dam and Sire weren't over done ,thankfully, like many Show Springers these days. Something I want to continue if I breed her as I I still think all that feathering is totally unnecassary. ;-)
  6. Luke

Luke New Member

Thanks Emma:D
    She is gorgeous..i would definatley have a springer like that in the hotch potch house, do let me know about any Isla offspring won't you:wink:
  7. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    Will do! ;-) :lol:

I've already got 2 homes lined up for future pups and she's only 7 months old! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  8. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Luke - just spotted where you're from. I used to live in Earlsdon (Coventry) when I was a kid.
  9. Luke

Luke New Member

Soon to be One year in just under two months...

-
    [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]
  10. Luke

Luke New Member

Have no idea why that first picture is only showing as a link:?
  11. Luke

Luke New Member

Well i'm always cluttering this thread up BUT-i don't care!:lol: :lol:

I was going to post this elsewhere, but saw here as more fitting...
    Why My Life Will Never Be Without An English Springer
    After a lot of soul searching and research we decided an English Springer would be the next addition to the house, despite being told how out of control n wild they were..my ethos was that a well bred springer, would be a good one:). I must say, it was quite apt. I went looking for a breeder..distance no object, but one with the right lines and bred a type of spaniel somewhere in between the show n working types as I didn't wish for either end of the scale, i found one..they were actually advertising a litter [just as they were advertising doesn't mean they are NOT good breeders, they had 'surplus' pups to the waiting list] and contacted, but with no intention of either of the pups they had left coming with us. However, a rather fat n dazed looking wee liver headed chap won my heart..we just clicked with a common regard for each other. So home come Ralph, he made an impact upon the house..but fitted so well. He hadn't been here long when we had to have Polly pts...to say it cast a shadow was an understatement, life had become a true disaster and everything just seemed undoable, but..that little face would be waiting there and I knew I couldn't give up, I honestly believe Ralph coming just before Polly passing was fate and really was more than mere whimsy.
    The summer seemed to last forever, trapsing the fields with that little liver n white podgy thing at my side..but as the summer drew on from when we got him [last day of may] till about September, my little chubby pup was growing more and more into a handsome young man.
    I always swore gundogs were never my thing, always thought they were quite 'flat' in their personality as all seemed far too willing to please, but i quickly learnt Springer's were far from flat..and it was this that aided my decision for a springer, oh and of course seeing the pictures of Het's gorgeous Zack-which also swayed me to a heavily marked spaniel too! In the time of owning Ralph I quickly learnt the 'vaunerable' side to Springer's as a breed, they have this exterior that nothing could get too them and that their soul point too life is to eat and reak havoc, but anyone who truly knows the breed knows this is quite false. They have such a sensitive side too them..those soppy spaniel eyes are actual windows to the soul, they say so much in just one look, and they always seem to know exactly when that head nudge in your thigh is helpful.
    What amazes me is they can go from that soppy, scatty fool..thats trying to sit on your lap..to an alert, dignified working animal that, when in the field, shows what the blood flowing within them is telling them to do and really does do the centuries of breeding justice:)
    An English Springer is far from boring, but despite popular misconception they are not TOTALLY nuts, but it helps for YOU to be this in order to happily own one:)
    [​IMG]
  12. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    Awww fab Luke, Springers really are anything but flat! :lol:
    Must admit I thought that about Labs before we got one, now I love the breed! :D

Love the pic too, nothing quite like a Springer in the snow! :smt049 Ralph's looking very handsome there! :D
  13. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Glad you've realised what we're all about Luke !

Fingal
  14. princessjane23

princessjane23 New Member

Name:
    jane
    i will have to post a pic of my springer! he looks more like a show dog is quite big for a springer, and have a cocker who need a haircut!! is going on tuesday though!!
  15. Dave_A

Dave_A New Member

Name:
    Dave
    Only just found my way here :shock: .......... got to admit I'm a Springer nut as well :roll:

Here's our two .......

Oscar
    [​IMG]

Millie
    [​IMG]
  16. Luke

Luke New Member

I love them!!! Really lovely springers!:D
  17. Tigger2

Tigger2 New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Really enjoying looking through this thread and seeing all the different looking Springers.

Welcome Dave_A,

I did a double take when I scrolled down to see your Oscar! Here is my Tigger,

[​IMG]

Rather similar arent they? :grin:
  18. Dave_A

Dave_A New Member

Name:
    Dave
    Just a nad's 8)

[​IMG]
  19. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    More fantastic ESS pictures. Thanks for sharing.
    For those that are newish (to this ever expanding site) that haven't met Fingal here's a few more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. Tigger2

Tigger2 New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Fingal is absolutely gorgeous!! ;)
  21. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Thanks !:lol:

You're only saying that because they're related !