Calling all GSD Owners.. diseases Health

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Stephanie, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Stephanie

Stephanie New Member

Name:
    Steph

Calling all GSD Owners.. diseases

Do any of you know the name of the diseas/cancer common i GSD's...pretty sure it begins with a G :?:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. MazY

MazY New Member

Name:
    Me
    There is a cancer called hemangiosarcoma. German Shepherds are reported to be more susceptible than most breeds. Though that doesn't begin with a G.

I'm really not familiar with another cancer that begins with G and is more common with GSDs.
  4. GSD-Sue

GSD-Sue New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Sorry I can't help,the only cancer I know is more prevelent in GSDs is theone aboveCan't think of other types of disease that shepherds are prone to like DM or anal fununculosis that start with a G either. Sorry. Perhaps if you gave some more details something would click.
  5. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    I've tried looking for cancers that begin with G, but I can't find any :-( :-(

I know of Lymphoma and hemangiosarcoma being more prevelant in GSD's but other than that, I'm stumped :?

Is Jess ok?
  6. Stephanie

Stephanie New Member

Name:
    Steph
    Jesse is 12 in August and I have noticed recently that there are times (mainly in the morning) when she doesnt want to each and her tummy makes the most awful of noises and then when she goes for a poo there is dried blood in it (sorry,.....a bit graphic ) but then later in the day she will eat ok, her stomach muscles are also very hard and she seems quite sensitive on her tummy. Shes is also doing a lot of whinning when she is laying down or just sitting there which is something she has never done before.

The vet said it may be something to do the intestines and she mentioned a few other things too but my mind was swimmimg at this point but she goes back to the vets on Tuesday evening to have some bloods done and shes not allowed to eat red meat for 3 days before the test so shes on Chicken and rice which she is loving.

Its been really bugging mean the name the vet used and I know it began with a G, and her then saying it was a form of Cancer :?

Maybe Im am over worrying, but what with Jesse being 12 in August I know she is at an age now where things tend to start, I know her so well and know that something isnt right, and what with Murphy having over £15,000 worth of ops and xrays over the last 2.5 years, so maybe its a touch of paranoia too lol.

Once I've got the test results I'll update you all - currently Jesse is here sleeping by my feet gently Zzzzzz away, we all had a lovely walk this afternoon and she completely flakes out bless her :smt049
    steph
  7. Stephanie

Stephanie New Member

Name:
    Steph
    Ive found what the G word is, the one that the vet said Jesse may have...its Gardners Syndrome and basically it is a Colon Cancer [​IMG] and I've read up on it and Jesse displays all the symptoms and they can tell whether she has it or not from a full blood work which is what shes having on Tuesday and it will explain why shes not allowed any red meat for 3 days beforehand.......please keep Jesse in your thoughts xx
  8. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg New Member

Name:
    Lindsay
    Sending kind thoughts to you and to Jesse :smt001

Wys
    x
  9. Meganrose

Meganrose New Member

Name:
    Kath
    So sorry...thinking of you and Jesse and hoping for more positive news XX
  10. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    I'm so sorry to hear about Jessie, hugs to you and fingers crossed for Tuesday. xXx
  11. Heather and Zak

Heather and Zak New Member

Name:
    heather
    Sorry to hear about Jessie. My thoughts and prayers are with you and I hope things go well on tuesday. Big hugs for Jessie.
  12. hayleybella

hayleybella New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    fingers crossed for her.
  13. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    Steph, I'm so sorry to read this :-(

I'll keep fingers, toes, paws, eyes and anything else for a more positive result on Tuesday xxxx
  14. Heidi1

Heidi1 New Member

Name:
    Jill
    I hope it turns out ok. I have lost a GSD to cancer so know how worried you will be.
  15. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    Any news on Jesse yet Steph?