Pointer Labs

Discussion in 'Labrador Retriever' started by Phil, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil

Pointer Labs

Well with the new arrival just a few days away :grin: I thought I'd post a few pictures of some Pointer Labs.

Chocs, Yellows & Blacks in this selection.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    Never heard of a pointing lab. Thats fabulous!
  4. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    They are cross Pointer/Labs Muttzrule. Particularly like the first yellow one, typical of both breeds.
    dawn.
  5. Luke

Luke New Member

Really good looking gundogs Phil, like the first pair of chocs!
  6. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    Lovely photo's Phil. The first 2 are gorgeous :smt007
  7. Fudgeley

Fudgeley New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    According to our elder bro in Ireland, they are bred quite specifically to be a multi function working dog and are known as "droppers" I`m sure Phil has more info to come.
  8. Het

Het New Member

Name:
    Heather
    beautiful dogs, especially the second picture...it shows perfectly the combination of the two breeds. Is the new arrival going to be a Pointer Lab? Lots of pics please!
  9. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Yes she is. A black one.

Don't want to get into the whole ethics of cross breeds (all covered in other threads) but there's a difference between a lab that points and a ''pointer lab' also called a 'pointing lab'.
  10. hayleybella

hayleybella New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    they're beautiful!
  11. IsoChick

IsoChick New Member

Name:
    Shelley
    Max points when he finds something, but he's a Boxer...
    (plus because of his round head, he doesn't look as pretty as the once above!!)

They are really gorgeous, and such a nice line on them when they're "on point"
  12. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Lovely dogs but I do have to ask why? Why not get a hpr that will do the job just as well, if not better than a "pointer lab".

Where are you getting your pup from Phil? Guessing it's a deliberate cross? Will be interesting to hear how you get on with him/her.

Helen
  13. Stormey

Stormey New Member

Name:
    Phill
    Great pics, you could lay a table on the yellow one in the 2nd pic.
  14. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    I take it by HPR your meaning 'Hunt Point Retrieve' - ie German short haired pointer, munsterlander, Vizsla, weimaraner etc. If I was after a HPR 'working dog' (which you can include lab pointers in) I probably would consider others but she's just going to be a pet. We'd considered a black lab and this 'pointer lab' became available to us from my brother in Ireland.

Generally speaking though - the point of pointer labs (mainly in USA) is well documented on a lot of sites - some of which I got those pics from. I'd swipe it into here but it's a bit long winded !
  15. Jere

Jere New Member

Name:
    Jere
    Real Pointing labs in the USA are NOT cross bred dogs. They should be the result of breeding Labs that naturally point to another Lab that naturally points to accentuate the pointing behavior. In any case they are AKC registered Labrador retrievers (usually) and should display a natural pointing behavior.

I'd be surprised if any of the dogs in Phil's pictures are cross-bred dogs.

Here are some pictures of a couple of PLs (and one EP) doing their thing hunting wild birds:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BTW, the pictures Phil posted are all implicitly copyright protected and available at the owner's' site - he should have posted links to those sites - IMO.

Jere
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2009