Alano espanol your views Discussions

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by staffer, Dec 15, 2006.

1. staffer

staffer

Name:
    staffer

Alano espanol your views

this is a mastiff like dog from spain not recognised in this country but ppl are becoming very intrested in the breeed i know of a few allready imported into the uk
    what you think sorry i dont have any pic

http://www.alanosdelastinieblas.com/
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. BrandieSnap

BrandieSnap New Member

Name:
    Suzie
    Lovely looking dog, especially the brindle one. The only bits of writing I understood though were "merry christmas" and "my dogs" :lol:
  4. staffer

staffer

Name:
    staffer
    :lol: :lol: :lol: you can press on the left hand side to read in english
  5. Doggydina

Doggydina New Member

Name:
    Lisa
    Stunning dogs :grin: :grin: ! Shame bout the cropped ears though :-( . Had never heard of them before.
  6. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Also known as the Spanish Bulldog, beautiful :)
  7. Laura

Laura New Member

Name:
    Laura
    www.hunterkennel.com they have apparently imported several (the first I believe) nice looking dogs.
  8. staffer

staffer

Name:
    staffer
    they are rare in there own country but there are a handful imported into this country
  9. staffer

staffer

Name:
    staffer
    yes thats were i got the idea for the thread i like them i as looking into them a few years ago but not for me i am going to stick to importing the dosa a korean mastiff wich should be soon hopefully
  10. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    Jon is a true dog man and was active on my old forum, beautiful animal, he breeds for health, temperment and also preserving the orignal neos, without those horrible wrinkles poor dogs, a great man, and his boel saint is just beautiful
  11. staffer

staffer

Name:
    staffer
    something else we agree on :lol: :lol:
  12. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    stikeing resemblence to the boer boel but with a tail ?
  13. potstillgold

potstillgold New Member

Name:
    Neil
    Anyone can find more information concerning the Alanos in English here: (see profile)

The site is being updated bit by bit, our pedigree pages are being done now.

For the record, I was the first to bring Alanos to the UK and have been involved with the breed since 2001. I attend the some shows in Spain, have all my dogs confirmed, have worked on a Toro de Lidia ranch in Estremadura with Alanos and hunt wild boar with Alanos.

Best Wishes for 2007 To All !
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2007
  14. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I do like the mastiff breeds, DDB and Neos being my favourite. I just hope they don't end up as the must have 'thug' accessory.
    Becky
  15. potstillgold

potstillgold New Member

Name:
    Neil
    That's exactly the point, My Friend. These dogs give Kudos and is certainly an attractive asset to 'thugs' as you state.

The Alano is first and foremost a working dog though do make wonderful companions and family members: to get the best out of them and stop the dog getting bored and frustrated they need work. In it's simplest form this could be at least one long walk a day with some simple tasks for the dog to perform. Only through 'work' can you you connect with these animals. Schutzhund would be rewarding in itself but interested parties have to know that the dogs can't formally compete unless the have the 3 generation pedigree from RSCE confirmed Alanos.

As a guard dog, there are many better breeds available and if anyone person of questionable ethic imagines them to be fighting dogs, they'd have an expensive but very dead dog. Alanos won't 'fight' under such circumstances, being inherently sociable animals.
  16. potstillgold

potstillgold New Member

Name:
    Neil
    Hi DD,

The cropped ear issue is something which will be visited and revisted I am sure. The fact is that the ears are cropped as a benefit to the dog bearing in mind that they are working dogs....at least in Spain.
    The dogs career through heavy undergrowth and that fact alone not withstanding the real threat of bites from boar (or cattle) is enough to justify having ears cropped. Moth eaten and torn ears are not at all good for the dog when you factor in antibiotics etc. The cropped ears give the dog better hearing (cf. nature and any land mammal predator) and is more hygeinic.
    The surgery is most often carried out in controlled, sterislised environment today (not exclusively, admittedly) but regional legislation is seeing the practice being outlawed. Something I cannot agree with, since it only pushes the practice underground nevermind interference from politicians and lobbyists who have no clue about the affairs in which they chose to impose their ill-founded ideals....A discussion for another thread, perhaps....;-)
  17. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Ear cropping has been illegal in the UK for over 100 years, whilst you can import ear cropped dogs you cannot show them. I don't think that the practice continued long after the ban.
    Becky
  18. potstillgold

potstillgold New Member

Name:
    Neil
    Hi Becky,
    Indeed. There is absolutely no grounds to have ears cropped in the UK. Dogs can neither compete in the ring or in dog sport in the UK with cropped ears and since there is no hunting............In Spain, however, there is both hunting and tradition in many parts. We are seeing more and more dogs appearing in the ring with complete ears reflecting policy, however, there are many more dogs out on the hill with cropped ears and this will continue.
  19. Doggydina

Doggydina New Member

Name:
    Lisa
    Hi there!

Thanks for the info, and I can see your point. But my opinion is that all animals are stunning just the way they are and they should be left that way. I can understand why working dogs are cropped/docked etc, but still don't agree with it. But yes you are right, a discussion for another thread, there has been several already.

Cropped ears or not though, they are stunning dogs and it's been fascinating reading all the info about them :grin: :grin: