flatcoats perlease! General Chat

Discussion in 'Flat Coated Retriever' started by Lottie, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie

flatcoats perlease!

Ok, someone who walks in the park has a beautiful little flatcoat called Holly. She's a lovely little thing but my friend saw her the other day and laughed when I said he was gundog training her. He seems to think she's no flatcoat.
    Apparently his friend bred flatcoats and they're stockier than she is. Holly's only small and has a very slender face and build with quite short ears which look slightly crimped - a bit like a spaniels.

He reckons she's a spaniel x flatcoat so I just want to see some piccies of flatties to make my mind up for myself!

Thankyou in advance!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Whitaker1579

Whitaker1579 New Member

Name:
    Jessie.
    I don't know alot about flatcoat's but maybe there are two differant types (ie field bred & show bred) ??
    I'v got show type English Springer Spaniels, which look completly differant to the field type!

Just a thought!
  4. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Hiya Lottie!
    Here's a link to the flattie thread on here, there's a few pics..Willos boy and Newforests boy are adorable!!!!
    http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=348&page=6

Hope that helps..best to have more than one pic...although they are all boys. There's a breed description at the start too.
    Flatties are very elegant looking...not really 'stocky' dogs.
    I lurve flatties!!!!
    Axxxx
  5. RiverWild!

RiverWild! New Member

Name:
    Shelly
    HI ya I have a young flattie girl and she is small and slender, but a friend has one the same age but stocky. Apparentley, the smaller slender ones are the new flatties, where the stockier ones are more old school, weather this is true or not I couldn't say, either way they are gorge, I also agree with Ramble very elegant looking !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Shelly
  6. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    HI Riverwild,
    Have you any pics of your Flat Coat girl? She sounds lovely!

This is my boy, he was 5 months yesterday. His mum is a smaller Flat Coat and his dad is quite big, so we're not sure what he'll turn out like although he is quite slender at the moment, I think all Flat Coats have a real 'gangly' growth stage!!![​IMG]

In answer to the original question (now I know a bit more) there is at the moment, no real difference between working Flat Coats and show bred ones but there is a debate currently as to whether or not that will remain the case for long.

Lottie if there is still some issue over this dog, PM me!!!
  7. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Jamie has a Flatcoat friend and he is slender and elegant, he is tall, but he is also a boy;-) He is immensely friendly and a gorgeous looking dog... know there are two different types of English setter (Laverack and Llewellin) not sure on Flatcoats??
    Btw Cosmo....:007: :007: :007: :007: :007: I really need to adopt a Flattie!!:lol:
  8. RiverWild!

RiverWild! New Member

Name:
    Shelly
    hi Ramble,
    He is gorge, I am yet to figure out how to get some pics on here, once I do (or my partner does), she will be on here.
    There is no difference between show and working flatties, the only reason I know this, is because my little girl, is from working line through and through not a show one out of them, and she is more than good enough for showing, as we do that also, and she is bringing lots of rossettes and trophies home. Hopefully River will do the same when she starts competing in obedience.
    Shelly and River
  9. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    There seems to be a debate currently about whether the show dogs can still work and some snobbery around amongst workers about showing. Personally just love Flat Coats and can't wait to see pics of your girl.
  10. perrodeagua

perrodeagua New Member

Name:
    Diane
    I'm sure I read a critique recently on the breed and the judge was complaining about how fine they were becoming in the show ring. Can't remember which show it was for.
  11. mse2ponder

mse2ponder New Member

Name:
    Charlotte
    about 7ish years ago i used to babysit for someone that had flatcoats and they were taller and stockier than the one that i jumped on me at a show the other week! don't know whether that means anything..

i think they're all fantastic dogs.. very jealous!
  12. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    there are a few small and slim Flat Coats around (Cosmo's mum being one of them) but by the same token there are also larger ones around and they can all do well in the show ring, if they fit into the height requirements.
  13. bint

bint New Member

Name:
    Susan
    Can anyone recommend any breeders planning litters soon?
  14. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Hi
    The best person to contact is the Litter Registry lady from the Flat Coated Retriever Society, or the one from the Northern England Flat Coated Retriever Society, they will both let you know about forthcoming litters, expect to be grilled though!
    This is the link to the FCRS and the info for the litter registry contact
    http://www.flatcoated-retriever-society.org/content/view/5/1/

This is the link for NEFRA
    http://www.nefra.co.uk/n_contacts_page.html
    You need the litter recorder on that contact page, she is lovely.

PLEASE research your puppy really well, I'm sure you will...but have a chat to the litter registry people and have a look around. Don't go for the first litter you find!! Pm me if you like! :mrgreen:
  15. bint

bint New Member

Name:
    Susan
    Thanks for the links:grin:
    Have spoken to the lady from the first link already and have tried to contact the other a few times but haven't managed to catch her in yet. Will keep trying, thanks:grin:
  16. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    I had trouble trying to catch her in too! It is worth carrying on, she is brilliant! Mrs Johnson is a star too, the other lady is a star in a different sort of way, well worth keeping on trying to get hold of her.
    How did you get on with the first lady (feel free to PM me) was there anything?
  17. Willow

Willow New Member

Name:
    Willow
    There's no distinction between a field or show type and hopefully it wont ever got that way. Although NOTHING gets me more worked up than the snobs who say that showing flatcoats cant work :evil:

It's a LOAD of TOSH !

There are two very well established breeders who are in the south who produce show champions and have done for many years ! And their SC's go picking up with them in the winter, and also compete in the summer in working tests ! One of their dogs I have had my eye on for the last two years and I know he'll be used at stud in the future. Having seen their stock work and show I know where I'll be heading for my next flatcoat ! :)

Good luck with getting a puppy, like ramble said, PLEASE do your homework, they are not an easy breed. Lovable yes, but they are a working dog in essence and need fair training. A flatcoat wants nothing more in the world to be your friend and rough handling does nothing but break their spirit.

Gratitious pic of my mutt : [​IMG] :D
  18. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Hiya Willow!
    Beautiful pic!
  19. Willow

Willow New Member

Name:
    Willow
    Hullo :D

Your new puppy is loverly ! Which kennels is he from ?
  20. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Thanks Willow! I've PM'd you! We absolutely love him to bits and it's nice to know he's all ours and we don't have to give him back! Saturn is now working and going from strength to strength. He was the only one of his litter to pass.