Huskamute? Why? Controversial

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by random, Oct 11, 2006.

1. SibeVibe

SibeVibe New Member

Name:
    Seoniad
    Kismet in the super puppy outfit and the one with the bikers hat on for me please if you have the time Magpye :)

Never ceases to produce a HUGE Awwwwwwwwh :grin:

J. would look quite the dude in a bikers hat :mrgreen:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    We have one here in our village, a youngster aged 3. He is absolutely gorgeous, a lovely boy who gets on extremely well with Tai.

I personally think the cross of Husky and Mal to be an excellent one.
  4. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    Never one to miss an opportunity to share my beautiful crazy girl:)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

You know.. the Super dog outfit and the high vis jacket she is sporting in these pics were Jackjack's, I don't have a small dog anymore, nor any intention of getting one... If anyone knows a good home with just the right little dog... Let me know:) The hat fits pharaoh and quite the dandy he looks in it too:)
  5. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Bloody gorgeous Magpye !
  6. Lorna

Lorna New Member

Name:
    Lorna
    Oh my goodness Magpye we're in love!!!!!!

MORE MORE MORE!!!!!!!!
  7. SibeVibe

SibeVibe New Member

Name:
    Seoniad
    Thank you :) Those shots seriously make my day. She's the cutest wee thing :grin:

Now if only I could fit J. into those outfits they would have a new 'forever home'. :mrgreen:
  8. Mis-Red

Mis-Red New Member

Name:
    Keri
    I have to say this was one of the threads that lead me to Dogsey...I was researching Mal's and Husky's and had never heard of the cross breeding of them before, I found a gorgeous little pup being offered for sale for £300 Mum was Malamute and Dad was Sibe, It wasn't a professional breeding stable or a puppy farm but a family home, with children and omg these dogs are well pampered! The people who bred her, have other dogs, Pug and Shar Pei. The parents of the puppy were lovely too, really calm and good natured. I just saw her and fell in love. I am used to husky GSD crosses, and purebred GSD's etc etc, so was expecting a big handful with everything I had read too. However, I can happily say that so far 'touching wood' she is perfect...she is active and likes her walks, but gets on well with my little JRT and my mothers Cavalier King Charles...chases the cats a little but only the ones that make the most noise..but if they swipe she hides...if she gets close enough to them she wants to lick them and groom them (my ginger and white tom lets her do this reluctantly lol). She learned sit and paw two days after getting her, she is great with all the dogs at the obedience class, doesn't really chew, just wants everyone to rub her belly and her ears in general!
    We take her to the local park so that she can go off lead, but she doesn't like going away from us...even if our Jack goes, she wont lol! However I wouldn't be so daft as to trust her neer stock or near a road off lead...but then I wouldn't any dog for that matter.
    I don't see why so many people hate this crossing so much...when it's been well recorded the Chuckchi (sp) and Inuits crossed them from time to time to keep blood lines (will dig out the information ... got it saved on FB). They aren't wolves or event a percentage of it unless you count all dogs...or you'd need a DWA. They are stubborn, but she is far far easier to control than my JRT...terriers are great dogs in my opinion, but our JRT has been the hardest dog to train and control compared to all the other dogs that have been in my life from childhood till now. I get that Sibes and Mals are ancient breeds and yes it's good to keep them going, but there are equally ancient breeds that no one bats an eyelid over crossing. And if people want to spend upwards of £500 on a dog that's their perogative... I think it's more important that people are aware of the type of dog they're taking on than how much they are spending on it, because theres a hell of a lot of purebreds that are being rehomed right now...

By the way how do you post pics up?
  9. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz

Nobody here has a problem with crossbreeds, however, the breeders are another matter entirely.

The kind of crossbreeding I personally find acceptable is:

1. To improve the health of a breed e.g crossing dalmatians with pointers to irradicate a certain genetic disorder. (The lua or low uric acid dalmatian.)

2. To improve genetic diversity in general, done in a controled responsible manner of corse.

3. In the case of guide dogs, where trying to create a working dog to suit the needs of many individual people.

Now, I don't see where huskamute breeders are doing any of those.

Breeding to make money, or because it would be nice for their bitch to have a litter, in my opinion, isn't good enough a reason to breed any dog. It would be made slightly better, if the breeders bothered to research thier breeds enough to find out if any health tests should be done, but non to suprizingly they don't.

Random crossbreeding brings no benafit to either breed involved, and that is why I can understand that sib and mal owners on here arn't to thrilled about it.
  10. Brainless

Brainless New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Quite, there reason malamutes and Siberians developed as separate breeds was for differing uses,a nd crossing them is not an improvement, they will not breed true to a given type.

If you want them for the work they were bred fro which job will the crosses suit, will they be heavy enough for what the Mals are for, or fast enough etc for the work the sibes were bred for.

Golden Retrievers cross Labradors as used by Guide dogs were bred for a specific purpose, they needed a dog taller than the Lab for a lot of men, but wanted to keep the Labradors lines they were using steadiness. Also they didn't want a lot more profuse coat for blind owners to look after.

I know most dogs end up as companion animals only, but the purpose of creating breeds in the first place was to hone and utilise their innate traits for many uses.

In most cases they are no longer called upon to perform them, but keeping the breeds going in part is part of preserving mans heritage and history with our canine companions.

For those not interested in a breeds purpose history and place in the canine scheme of things there are plenty of accidentally bred crosses that will make wonderful pets, and can usually be found in rescue centres, without encouraging the breeding of more with no purpose.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2010
  11. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Ref sled dogs, there's also the greenland and canadian eskimo dogs which though I'm no expert, I'd say would prob suit the middle of the road people.
  12. Brainless

Brainless New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Nope these are big powerful and very primitive sled dogs, only really suitable for expereinced people who can handle a dog dominant breed.

They don't fit the fluffy wuffy cute 'want' of a lot of people drawn to these crosses.
  13. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

No, they really wouldn't.
  14. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    I was talking in reference to working capacity, not as a pet. As I recall reading somewhere might have been on this thread even, some one saying that the point of crossing a sib with a mal, was to combine the speed of the former, with the strength of the latter, I was commenting that maybe the greenland/eskimo, would fit that in between criteria already, thus making that argument void.
  15. ingi

ingi New Member

Name:
    Jonathan
    I have a Mal x Sibe. and I must agree with the people who say that these dogs do not fit a purpose other than as a family pet. The dogs when bred as this cross come out in all different shapes and sizes -even from the same litter-. Nanuq has strong Mal looks (plus he has longer fur) where as if you compare him to Magpies Kismet she is alot smaller and more Sibe looking.

Either way we got him because he is a stunner and thats what we wanted, we love him to bits and he is excellently behaved off lead never straying far from us. He also gets on great with our other dog and even the cat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pics are from last summer but he has not changed to much and gives you the idea.
  16. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    He's lovely.
  17. Mis-Red

Mis-Red New Member

Name:
    Keri
    I have seen a lot of people being against crossbreeding on lots of other forums however.

I got my dog because she fits the bill as a pet, I don't need a dog to pull a heavey sled over long distances, or to pull a sled faster over a shorter distance.

If an animal is bred to be a family pet, then I see no harm in it, and as stated before these dogs probably were crossed occasionally as people crossed the Bearing Strait

It is also true however, that in more recent times, many of the peoples of Siberia met and traded with each other. There is also evidence that:

“a long interchange between the peoples of Siberia and the natives of Alaska did exist from ancient into modern times.” (John Douglas Tanner Jr – Alaskan Trails, Siberian Dogs pp15)

It is very likely that some interbreeding of their dogs may well have been the occasional result of such interaction. Indeed, an archeological excavation of ancient Ipuitak sites at Point Hope in Alaska in the 1940’s recovered dog remains some 2000 years old, which were positively identified by scientists as those of Siberian dogs, not local Alaskan breeds. (John Douglas Tanner Jr – Alaskan Trails, Siberian Dogs pp15)

Further evidence of such possible interbreeding over the millennia can be seen from the fact that the research into “ancient” breeds referred to above, also found that genetically, the Alaskan Malamute and the Siberian Husky were very closely related:

In addition, the Alaskan Malamute is shown to be very closely related to the Siberian Husky, and its place of origin is far western Alaska , across the Bering Strait from the homeland of the Siberian Husky’s ancestors.

http://www.workingdogweb.com/RSH-2004-2.htm – “New Breakthrough in Dog Genetics
    (Taken from http://www.dreamcatcher.org.uk/breed_history.htm)

Either way I have never had any problems with crosses, EXCEPT when they are bred by breeders to further enhance things like folds in the skin, or a certain type of jaw shape..things that breeders did and people now happily have what is thought of as a pure breed... I agree dogs should be tested for health problems, however, it should be educated to people that NO amount of testing is going to guarantee a health problem wont occur. Also Taser you say no one has a problem with this crossbreed but you then go on to state what crossbreeding you find acceptable and that this isn't one of them, so you too do not find them acceptable?

Brainless - No one is trying to dilute the breed by crossing, My husband would love for us to have a full malamute one day, he prefers their look over huskies, and I fully support keeping ancient breeds going. Also when honing and utilising these dogs traits when creating a breed, many of these then breeds have had bad health problems...such as British Bull Dogs, Cavalier King Charles...both dogs that have serious problems through Mans 'honing' & 'creating' abilities...and both were created for purposes..bull dogs for fighting and king charles for hunting.

Also many assume that parents of these huskamutes are not hip scored checked...I am sure many aren't but that isn't always the case, my pups parents were tested, although it's all moot as their are no figures for this crossing available..but for their own breed they were fine. Also my old GSD bitch who came from a very long KC long her mothewasn't hip scored although her father was, all their dogs have had ZERO problems SO FAR...are all pet therapy animals etc etc and a well respected breeder. Doesn't mean they wont have problems in the future, because it could happen, and getting from a breeder doesn't guarantee a healthy dog either.
  18. Mis-Red

Mis-Red New Member

Name:
    Keri
    What a beautiful pet x
  19. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    hi :grin:
    can i ask why you did not get a pure bred sibe or a mal??....how exactly does a cross of these two breeds 'fit the bill as a pet' i cant see the logic :? :? :?
  20. Mis-Red

Mis-Red New Member

Name:
    Keri
    lol yeah I can see it doesn't make a lot of sense how I wrote it, I wanted a pet, not a show dog, love the look of both of these dogs, both gorgeous dog breeds..and no, she hasn't got blue eyes so it wasn't that reason either, more a case of I wanted something of both and also the cost factor... most of them are out of my league to buy financially and those that aren't are so damn far away from where we live, one day when I am rich then yeah, but just wanted her as a pet and cost plus not being able to decide which breed I liked best came to that decision...and I don't regret it one bit x
  21. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    thanks!! i get ya now;-) ;-) :mrgreen: