Utonagans and Northern Inuits ????? Purpose ! Discussions

Discussion in 'Utonagan' started by Malady, Oct 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuarki

kuarki New Member

Name:
    kerry
    unfortuatly ther are people who do breed with dogs with high scores but all breeders within the society have to sign and abide by the breeders ethics before they become registered breeders, and if say for example joe bloggs used his ute with a high score and was saying he was a registered breder thenn it can be checked with the society committee whether he was or not a registered breeder.I hope this has helped a bit for you muddiwarx?.I hope i have explained it ok lol...
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

Thank you for your input Kuarki 8) I was trying to find out who the founding dogs were but no one has replied yet. I am assuming that the same is true for the Northern Inuits since they were one and the same until they split? It is a shame no one else holds any records :-(
  4. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

Ethical breeders and those really concerned about the welfare of the breed wouldn't but unfortunately in our breed we do have people breeding from dogs with high hip scores (over double our BMS :shock: ), dogs with no eye tests and some that have not been even been hip scored. It is certainly a huge problem and I assume it is the same in any breed - which is sad :-(
  5. Zuba

Zuba New Member

Name:
    Donna
    Thanks, just finding it hard to find any info on the net, lovely looking dogs, I really like them. Was just trying to get the basics of the breed, I love my Sibes but will be the first to admit that it is such a shame they cannot come off the lead, especially because they are so friendly :-(. :grin:
  6. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    Luca's father is from the litter of the foundation dogs that Eddie Eddison used.(Luca is half Utonagan) His owner is a member on here, but I'm not sure whether she'll post though.

I don't know all of Luca's lineage, I'm still tracing it.
  7. darasa

darasa New Member

do pets need to have a purpose? other than being a pet perhaps I am over simplifying the question, but I understood that both breeds are bred for their looks reliability and their interaction with humans, I don't doubt that they are able to work but I get the impression that was not the sole reason for the inception of the breed

Rachel
  8. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    I was told the other day the various Inuit/Utonagon factions have split yet again and Northern Inuits are no more :shock: In future the new breed name is Inuit Dogs who belong to The Inuit Association :? 'The Inuit Dog' is to have its own breed standard, (not sure if that is the same as the one for the old Northern Inuit) :? I have also heard some Northern Inuit owners wish to retain that name so will still call their breed Northern Inuits,all very confusing ...so now we have Inuit Dogs, Northern Inuits, Utonagons, Tamaskans all related in some way but different,not a good move when you are trying to prove to people the stability of a breed.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2006
  9. Luz

Luz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Wherever did you hear that Mini? The Northern Inuit Society is still the founder group of these dogs, if people wish to go and start a website using a new name then they can call themselves whatever they wish.
    We are still here and here to stay.
  10. PurpleJackdaw

PurpleJackdaw New Member

Name:
    Bev
    the Northern Inuit Society is still there and has not vanished
    Tamaskan dogs cant really be called the same thing ,some used to be Utonagan dogs but others are CWD crosses and a few other crosses mixed with them
  11. Zoundz

Zoundz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    still doesn't really explain why when you look for northern inuit dogs in wikipedia you get directed to utonagans... ni's are the only ones without a wiki page :lol:

mini - i think inuit dogs were a breed already weren't they? albeit not a standardised one - it's what I've been led to believe is the collective name given to the various spitz crosses used by the inuit people to pull sleds and do day to day work? :)

sorry if i'm wrong lol

xx
  12. Tracey381

Tracey381 New Member

Name:
    Tracey
    NORTHERN INUITS have been around for 18 years and will be around for many many more, i assume this new inuit thing is just a club for people who want to do there own thing , :roll: :roll:
    Others have tried to do there own thing in the past and failed, you cant please everyone.
  13. PurpleJackdaw

PurpleJackdaw New Member

Name:
    Bev

There did used to be a page about NI's on Wikipedia ,but strangely it was removed and the redirection was added to Utonagan ,I have my guesses about who removed the page
    Sadly I am not very good at website stuff or I would have put the page back again
  14. Zoundz

Zoundz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    that's very sad. some people just need to get on with their own lives and leave otehrs to get on with theirs. let sleeping dogs lie as it were.

hope it all gets sorted soon :)

xx
  15. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Inuit = Eskimo therefore Inuit dogs = Eskimo Dogs

See in the KC standards the Canadian Eskimo dog or the Greenland Dog, neither look one bit like the various NI's or Utonagans.

Really think those who decide to produce a "new breed" for what ever reason (will not add comment as to the reasons given) would be well advised to spend time researching not just the breeds they will use for crossing but the name they choose for this “new breed”. Would save a lot of confusion if more care and clearer reasons were available for these cross breeds, even if, as is claimed, they are breeding true.
  16. zero

zero New Member

Totally agree about the name :D I know that 'Inuit' is used because of the type of dogs that were used but when people hear the word Inuit, even if they don't know about the ancient breeds they have then gone on to say 'oh Eskimo dog' and me being me even though I realise they probably don't know what an Eskimo Dog is either I then have to go into lengthy explanations, I don't like people going away not knowing what they are...Sometimes I do think that when asked what dogs they are I think I just need to say 'My dogs'...lol

But yes, personally, I would never have chosen a name that so closely resembles other breeds names because it can and does cause confusion.

I must not like an easy life...lol
  17. rune

rune

Hi. I haven't posted on the boards before but I have been reading them. I am especially interested in this thread because I am very interested in NI's. I have joined the NI list but most of my posts are now blocked because I am asking the 'wrong' questions.

A couple have been answered politely but the rest have been ignored or answered in a way which says a lot about the owners! Hopefully the dogs have better manners (G)!

I expect I will now be removed from the list!

I have lived with and worked dogs for 40+ years and have competed at agility, obedience, and HTM----I also dabbled in working trials. I now have 9 house dogs and other dogs who come to stay here in the house as well as the odd misfit or orphan who comes along. I work closely with the local rescue centre.

I became interested in the NI becasue of dogs we have known as well as one in rescue.

Reading the stuff written on the list frightens me---dogs are described as 'stud' dogs and one bitch was looking for a new home and it was suggested that she could be used for breeding as she was due in season in a few weeks. No thought to how stressed the poor dog might be at moving to a new home---of course the bitch was being sold. On the rescue pages a couple of entire dogs are suggested as being useable as stud dogs.

In 10 years time this breed will be filling our rescues if this sort of indiscriminate breeding goes on. Locally we have two pairs of NI's, both were bought to make money. One pair have nice temperaments, the others are a nightmare----but that won't stop the owners from doing it----and they are encouraged to do so by the people who sold them the dogs.

The chances of the breed being recognised by the KC are very slim, but people who buy these dogs have been told it will happen in the next few months----either the breeders are ignorant of the workings of the KC or they are misguided---or they are just plain not telling the truth!

The claim that the dogs have no genetic health problems is just plain daft----using the dogs they have to create the NI will mean there are problems----there are problems in cross bred dogs as much as pedigrees it is simply that their HD scores aren't logged.

Someone wrote on the list this morning that their dogs have no health problems, checking the web site it seems the eldest of their 6/7 dogs is only 4 years old! It seems they don't understand that problems don't always show up untill the dogs are older---by which time it is too late as their 'stud' dog has been used to father hundreds of pups!

I would like to see someone responsible doing something abiout this 'breed' but I think it is too late, too many peopel want a 'wolf look alike' to foster their new age fantasies!

BTW---this post would never have been written had my posts been allowed on the list. Learning curve maybe?

Rune
  18. Mutley

Mutley New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    Very interesting Rune and a lot of truth in what you say! Yes I have been reading about the Northern Inuits for quite a while now and don't oftern post on the sites either.
    I have been concidering a Northern Inuit for quite a while but due to one or another reasons haven't got one yet, what with all the going's on at the moment I feel the need to tread very carefully untill all correct information is given as you only hear what people want you to hear.
    Saying that I still think this is a beautiful breed and hope it has a very bright future (KC or no KC) :grin:
  19. akna

akna New Member

Name:
    Racheal
    Ive been reading and following all the Northern Inuit threads for some time now and i have to laugh at some of the things non inuit and even some inuit owners are going on about. When people ask me about my dogs or if they want a puppy i tell them straight, fantastic dogs in everything a loving human requires from it. But then people ask about all the politics and argueing that goes on and i say if you want an NI have one just keep out of the politics. There are bad people involved with every breed of dog in the world and i think people disillusion themselves about it. Lets face facts the dogs are great its just some of the people that are involved with them that are not!! Do people really think that going on about the dogs ending up in rescue or bred wrongly or whatever reason they can come up with is going to make any difference? I can think of hundreds of things i dont agree with...perhaps time should be spent constructively. Other than picking fault with anything and everything all the time!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2006
  20. akna

akna New Member

Name:
    Racheal
    If you are looking for problems before you start then you shouldnt bother looking in the first place!!
  21. rune

rune

>>>>>

What?
    I have to be misunderstanding this. It sounds as if you are suggesting no one should make any enquiries about the breed they are interested in in case they come across any problems.

Surely thats not what you mean is it?

rune
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.