Utonagans and Northern Inuits ????? Purpose ! Discussions

Discussion in 'Utonagan' started by Malady, Oct 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kanikula

Kanikula New Member

Name:
    Sam
    only just came across it!!!:? How am i supposed to know how old it is or if it has come up before !!?? :shock:

Just thought it was an interesting read:?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Luz

Luz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    I was the one who said it was nearly 5 years old not Sutty. :!:
  4. Alexou

Alexou New Member

Name:
    Alexandra
    no offence but there is a date 2002 is at the very end of the article ... :grin: so i presumed it was the date it has been written and when i read the sutty's reply it confirmed me that is was the date it was written!
  5. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Sorry just seen this:-o

Yes the US is the country of origin. With regards to the 'Chinook', it was actually Arthur Walden's kennel name and the name of his lead dog. He was a cross between a mastiff type dog and a Greenland husky. Hinman-Irwin dogs are sometimes referred to as the 'third' strain and there were very few Hinman dogs around. Husky - Pak was a successful kennel owned by Rob Zoller (who incidently has just joined the AMCUK ) and their dogs were developed using all three lines.
  6. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
  7. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Wow! That looks an amazing breed, thanks for that. The photo of Erick looks like a GSD. Lovely looking though.
  8. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Indeed Sue. Not to mention that if you actually read this (& in fact most of the other old articles) carefully you will actually notice that most of them are extreamly contadictory (if not based purely on personal opinion).
  9. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    That could be said of most of the things I have read about these breeds.

The fact that the article is 4 years old does not mean the content is irrelevant or untrue. We are talking about less than one lifetime of a single dog in a breed . If I was researching these breeds with an eye to getting one I would read everything and evaluate it against other information, all information on the origins of a breed is relevant and should be take into consideration particularly in the instance of this/these breeds which are so new.

One thing that always concerns me about these new cross breeds is where do they obtain the initial breeding stock? I don't know any experienced established breeders of individual breeds who would be willing to sell their dogs for the purpose of crossing them with other breeds. Stock can be obtained from 'other sources' but they are unlikely to be the best examples of their breed with a traceable health history.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2006
  10. kuarki

kuarki New Member

Name:
    kerry
    hi minihaha,
    the original founder breeds for the utonagan were the gsd malumute and husky these were with a breeder who passed awa a while ago and unfortunatly we don't have that info and can't get it so we are now in a position where we have a breeding programme and breeders rules/ethics which every breeder within the scoiety has to adhere to all breeding stock is now hip/eye tested and if the dog/bitch is of acceptable breeding stock then they are given after assesment a certificate.As a whole the society is at the moment more intersted in getting the health of the breed right then obviously comes the type standard etc etc.. The health has to be first and foremost we don't condone using unhealthy dogs or dogs with a high hip score(like most breeds).. Hope this helps some of the questions asked on her of late? Also go and see the dogs themselves and get all the info from the breeders and the society who are more than happy to answer any qusetion with regards to the utonagan. If anyone wants the new society web address then email me and i will let you have it, we are still doing the new site but with our new webmaster it all will be live soon there are a few pages still under construction but there is still a fair bit on it with some useful info to.
  11. kuarki

kuarki New Member

Name:
    kerry
    p.s didn't put the web address on as i'm to sure if it is allowed on here..
  12. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
  13. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Thanks for coming on and posting Kuarki. :grin:
  14. jess

jess New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Is it just me or do Chinooks all look very very different from each other?
  15. Zuba

Zuba New Member

Name:
    Donna
    Another question, sorry :blush:
    for how many years have NIs and Utes been in circulation? I dont think its the right word but cant think of a better one at this moment :?
  16. Luz

Luz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    NI's have been 'in circulation' ;) for approx 18 years.
  17. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Yeah, this is what I thought. I think there was a page of crossbreeds though and they are the ones that ranged from really small to quite tall?
  18. kuarki

kuarki New Member

Name:
    kerry
    lucky star is that loki in the piccie?,
  19. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Hi Kuarki - yes it is Loki.
  20. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie

What breed does condone using unhealthy dogs or those with high hip scores????
  21. kuarki

kuarki New Member

Name:
    kerry
    what i mean't to say was (like most breeds don't!!), as most breeds don't use stock for breeding if they have a high score thus preventing flooding the gene pool with dogs that could develop hd.As it stands the utonagan have a median score from the bva of 27 and any ute with a score above this won't be used for breeding also obviously the lower the score the better.++++++++++++++++
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.