Dog's Today September - Utonagan and Wolfdogs Discussions

Discussion in 'Utonagan' started by Lucky Star, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Dog's Today September - Utonagan and Wolfdogs

Has anyone seen this issue? There's a Ute pup on the cover and an article about Wolfdogs inside. :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. zero

zero New Member

was it the one with the article on Pauls Czech and Saarloos Wolfdogs? I don't normally buy doggie mags :lol: but I did get that copy as it had that article and a Ute pup cover. It must be the same one. (I don't have it near me or I would look)
  4. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Yeah that's the one. I don't buy them either but saw the cute Ute and wolfdog article and had to have this one :roll: :lol:

It has got a raw food article too so seemed worth it. :lol:
  5. zero

zero New Member

Yep that's what I thought. But I'm glad I don't buy mags often cuz they cost a small fortune :lol:
  6. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    I don't buy mags at all, and haven't been to the local newsagents for yonks, so I haven't got a clue what either of you are on about :lol: :lol: :lol:
  7. poopie

poopie New Member

Name:
    Mandy
    I've got it too! Thought it was a Ute on the front but wasn't too sure if it was supposed to be one of the wolf dogs it talks about!

I got last months issue too. The article on the raw food started off in that issue but was more of a negative thing, but Septembers issue states the positive side of it. :lol:
  8. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    I got a subscription given to me for Christmas...fantastic pressie as I love reading through it. They're looking for people to be breed advisers for Utonogans, it's in the back of the Sept issue, in the breeds section, under Utonogan (strangely enough!!!!)
    Have read the issue and both articles mentioned.
    Wasn't too happy about the wolfdog one to be honest, infact it scared me if I'm totally honest. Can you imagine if these dogs got into the hands of the people I think they would get into???????
    Wolves are wolves and I don't think we should be trying to rebreed a domestic animal from a wild one, we've done it already and have a fantastic number of dogs to show for it, alot of them are in rescue.Sorry just my opinion!!! I love and adore wolves because they are just that...wolves. I don't want one or a close cross of one as a pet!!!
    Was a bit annoyed that Bruce Fogle took the opportunity (again) to waste an entire page talking about his famous son:roll: frankly I don't want to read about Ben Fogle getting married in a Dog mag...I want to read about dogs.....(sorry I know I went a bit off topic but it bugged me!!!!!!) Axxxxx
  9. zero

zero New Member

Hi Ailsa :D

The Czech and Saarloos wolfdogs are a domestic and recognized breed in many European countries they arn't wolf hybrids.
  10. northstar

northstar New Member

Name:
    MB

But I thought they had a high percentage of fairly recent wolf blood in them, bout 20 or 30% if I remember rightly.

Am I mistaken?
  11. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    that is why they aren't permissable in England
  12. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Hi Mys!!!:grin:
    They are closely bred to woves though, certainly they were initially GSD wolf crosses weren't they??? They are still closely enough related to wolves to be deemed wolf dogs.
    I sort of don't get the point of x breeding dogs and wolves, I think it's manmade intervention gone mad.Sorry.
    I know they are bred and allowed in Europe and in the right hands would be fine, but even in the article it was streesed several times that these dogs are not for an inexperienced handler...that's just whose hands they'd get into I'm afraid...can you imagine????'Look at me wolf??? It 'ates other people'...nightmare.
    I'm afraid I would have to be against them being introduced over here. Sorry. I don't think it's fair on the dogs.
  13. zero

zero New Member

I know what you mean but it's unfair on so many other breeds of dogs already that are owned by idiots using them as accesories. There are all types of breed that shouldn't be for the inexperianced handler.
  14. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    No your not mistaken most Czech wolfdogs are around 25% wolf content if I'm not mistaken, you only need to be a member of http://www.wolfdog.org to get access to that info, this link may be of interest to you:http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=40394
  15. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    I totally agree Mys which is why I don't think we should encourage a new breed to be introduced to them, I just think it's wrong. I also think there is absolutely no need to be trying to get a domestic dog more 'wolf like' and refind it's wild roots. That, I think, is a dangerous thing to play around with.
    I know not everyone will agree with what I've said, I just think it 's taking a love of dogs and wolves one step too far. We should learn from our mistakes and let nature be.
  16. Nanoekie

Nanoekie New Member

Name:
    Nanouk
    HI I am new to this forum, am Dutch, living in germany and the proud owner of to SaarlooswolfDOGS.
    Let me emphasize DOG in the name. This by no means is a hybrid, it is a fully acknowlegdeg FCI breed.
    Yes, it derives from the wolf, but it is almost imposible to quote a wolfpercentage in the SWH, since the last inbring of wolfblood is over generations and generations ago.
    I personally am very much opposed to the current hype of creating new wolfdogs and hybrids, as often seen fe in the US!
    By developing the breed Leendert SWH followed strict selection procedures, all based on character more than 'wolfish looks'. That and a continued strict breeding policy brought us the SWH as we know today, as the standard says: He possesses qualities which enable him to be a faithful and reliable companion and housedog.

Everybody looking for a wolf will be highly dissapointed in the SWH!
    As a owner of 2 SWH i would gladly answer more questions about the breed ;) (those are my boys )
    [​IMG]
    As for the TWH, I have not as much experiences with the TWH as with the SWH, but also the TWH is a fully fci recognised breed, it's more of a working dog than a SWH, but also not to be mistaken with a wolfhybrid!
  17. zero

zero New Member

They are beautiful Nanoekie :) ;)
  18. ina

ina New Member

Name:
    Ina
    Hello,

I am from Germany (so please excuse my language mistakes), am a Veterinary surgeon and behaviourist and own 5 Czechoslowakian Wolfdogs (and know some hundred).
    Czechoslowakian Wolfdogs have been pure bred as a breed than over twenty years and undergone a extremly hard selection, especially for charakter, in the beginning being used as working dogs in the Czechoslowakian army. They are a registered FCI breed, registered in Group 1 the working dog class. There are dogs working as therapy dogs, rescue dogs, guardian dogs, companion dogs, sport dogs and and and.
    Knowing wolfes quite well and being stricly against hybrids I can tell you that Czechoslowakian (and Saarloos) Wolfdogs aren´t hybrids in the normal point of view. Nobody in the Wolfdog world understands the English point of view on them. They are about as difficult to handel as a Rottweiler.
    The reason why they have kept the wolfish look was to avoid health problems, not to have tame house wolfs. As I wrote before they have been working dogs in the army.
    For the wolf content of around 30%: We will never get a lower percentage as long as we keep them pure bred. It is a mathematical formula nothing else. If you cross two animals with a percentage of 30% you will get offspring with 30%, it says nothing about how high the wolfcontent actually is in the dog. With no new wolf crossed in since 22 years and a very hard selection for a non-wolf-charakter it doesn´t reflect reality.

On the other side, I am not sure if the ban in your country isn´t good for the breed. They have a big fascination for some people for the wrong reasons and being kept as show dogs or to impress the neighbours is something that hasn´t worked out well for any breed I know of. The chance for them to get into the wrong hands is quite high as soon as the new owner hasn´t got direkt informations or the possibility to visit breeders and owners and get himself an impression how the dogs really are. But for me it is really not understandable why I can´t visit your country with my quite well trained dogs or can´t show them at Crufts.

Ina
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2006
  19. Igor

Igor New Member

Name:
    Jolanda
    Hello everyone,

I'm living in the Netherlands and have a Czechoslovakian Wolfdog too. My English isn't very good, but I will try to explain why the C. Wolfdog isn't a dangerous dog.
    Why should a wolf be dangerous? He act just like other dogs. People makes dogs (animals) dangerous, with its own behaviour. I have a dog, which is very shy of people and wants only flee away from them. This type of behaviour is more a Saarloos Wolfdog one. They ran away for people and objects that makes them fearful. My dog has never been aggresive to people, because of his anxious behaviour.
    When it is safe (in his eyes), he behaves like a normal dog.
    Ok, it's not a dog for a firstdogowner. But that's not because of his bite.
    The wolf is a very shy animal in the wilderness and don't want to fight. Why should he? Injuries in the nature leads to the death.

The Czechoslovakian Wolfdog is a special dog, but NOT a dangerous one. Anyway, there are no dangerous dogs. Dangerous dogs are made by man.

I gladly want to visit Great Britain and walk with my Czechoslovakian Wolfdog through the beautiful nature!

Greetings, Jolanda
  20. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Welcome Igor,ina and nanoekie.:grin:
    Your dogs, I'm sure are wonderful creatures and are well looked after and well behaved, I have no doubt about that.:grin:
    I am still concerned that the last wolf used was used in breeding 22 years ago, my basic maths tells me that the wolf content could still be quite high. I'm afraid your posts have not allayed my fears about the breed being introduced here at all. My fears remain, in the wrong hands, as with any dog, they could have problems. They will appeal to 'the wrong hands' for sure. I don't think it's fair on the dog. I also still would want to know the EXACT wolf content in the breed.Dogs have been domesticated over 100's of years and we are talking about a cross with a wild animal 22 years ago.
    I am also a little surprised at just how quickly news of this thread has spread, 3 new members posting for the first time seems quite a high number to me. Sorry.
    Don't want to offend anyone at all, just expressing my opinions. I'm sure in the RIGHT hands, with people with the RIGHT breed knowledge these dogs are well behaved, they are certainly beautiful.:grin:
  21. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

WOW! Beautiful dogs - just look at those wonderful straight backs!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.